Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Won't Work

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 03:05 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,842 Likes on 4,418 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyslovis
I have a great rapport with the agency after having purchased 10 cars.
They are anxious to resolve the issue. I have given them tne opportunity to actually make money in the deal and take care of me in the process. Should it be necessary.
this is a last resort and NOT what I want.
I am making no demands nor am I threatening them. Lastly, I would not invoke the lemon law as then I would lose the tax that I paid on the car. I appreciate your response however I don’t think you understand that the issue will be resolved amicably.
I was merely inquiring if anybody has had this specific problem and what issue they found to be the cause
best
You wrote:
Net, I will bring the car back to dealer. I am giving them the choice of fixing it vs getting me an immediate 2023 allocation, or selling it back to them at current market value which is above MSRP.

Best
Randy
How is that NOT making demands? Read your own words before telling us you didn't say what you actually said.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:58 PM
Randyslovis
Cruising

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Having been on Ferrari chat for years and dealing with some less than friendly people made me hesitant to post here.
As a new member of this forum I will try once again to clarify my statement. When I brought up the idea of giving the dealer my car back as a trade in, the salesman said the dealer would “love to have my car back” as they would make 30k!
They know I could sell it at a profit on my own, thereby cutting them out.
My dealer does NOT sell new Corvettes above MSRP to the initial buyer.
My giving them a profitable scenario was viewed as a win for them and me.
This is not a demand but an option we discussed IF I wanted out of the car. A demand is when it is one sided.
This was a discussion based on mutual satisfaction being the outcome.
The following users liked this post:
ArmyDoctor (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 10:20 AM
ArmyDoctor
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by chief7
Yesterday, after almost 12 months, I picked up my HTC. Spent a few hours setting up everthing and then went for a drive. This car is a lot better than my C7, which I used to love.

Now for the problem. This morning I took the car out of the garage and tried to put the top down - NOTHING. I tried a couple of times with the same result. Turned the car off, thinking something might reset, but still nothing. Has anyone had this issue? If yes, what is the easy fix short of bringing it to the dealership?
looks like I’m the latest victim of this … started getting the “service convertible top” message last night 🤦🏾‍♂️ … so sick of the gremlins in this car
Old 08-31-2022, 10:30 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 692 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyDoctor
looks like I’m the latest victim of this … started getting the “service convertible top” message last night 🤦🏾‍♂️ … so sick of the gremlins in this car
This is certainly not what we like to hear, ArmyDoctor. Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your vehicle. To do so, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: ArmyDoctor/Corvette Forums in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com
Old 08-31-2022, 01:49 PM
op z
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyDoctor
You are no longer the latest victim. As I was pulling into my driveway and putting my top up the tonneau cover opened and I received the “service convertible top” message. Now the tonneau cover is in the full upright position and will not close. I tried disconnecting the battery and re-indexed the side wide windows. The “service convertible top” message is no longer displayed, but the top does nothing. Same thing for the rear window. Nothing.

Since the tonneau cover is fully upright I cannot drive the car to the dealership. If I have a tow truck driver come it would not be any different if they are driving my car on the back of their flat bed truck with the top fully open. I am waiting for the dealer to call me back. I think I will drive the car to the dealer (~5 miles) early in the morning, unless the dealer or someone here on the forum has a better idea.

Car is a 2022 with 1200 miles.

Last edited by op z; 09-01-2022 at 07:46 AM.
ArmyDoctor (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 03:30 PM
ArmyDoctor
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
This is certainly not what we like to hear, ArmyDoctor. Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your vehicle. To do so, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: ArmyDoctor/Corvette Forums in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com
thank you. Email sent. This is the second electrical “module” malfunction in less than a year of ownership
Old 02-01-2023, 07:31 PM
Keon628!
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General question

Originally Posted by avigar
Is there a manual bypass if the motors suddenly stopped working? I'd hate for the roof to be stuck in the upright (midway) position when it fails.
So I guess there's no real answer to your question.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:53 AM
op z
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 132 Posts

That is correct. My tonneau cover being stuck open was due to a chaffed wire. I wiggled it a bit and was able to lower it before I took it to the dealer.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:09 AM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Originally Posted by avigar
Is there a manual bypass if the motors suddenly stopped working? I'd hate for the roof to be stuck in the upright (midway) position when it fails.
There are two parts to this question. If the tonneau still operates, then as someone posted above the tech can make a hole in the headliner and insert a wrench (Allen wrench, I think) and move the top mechanism. If the tonneau won't operate, I saw an image from the service manual somewhere online showing a procedure for manually operating that. It looked like it required significant disassembly, but I didn't actually look very closely.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:38 AM
tsigwing
Burning Brakes

Received 991 Likes on 426 Posts

Can't believe someone has not come up with a kit to retrofit a plastic piece that you could cut into the headliner with a plug that you could pop out to get ready access. Who has a 3d printer?
Old 02-02-2023, 11:56 AM
RedTRex
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Majestic94
In my opinion, there’s no redeeming qualities to the coupe aside from saving $7500. That’s just me.
Opinions aside there’s no substantiation available to that indicates a Webasto built Mercedes HTC is more reliable than a Webasto built C8 HTC.
They only sold less than 2000 Mercedes’ SL’s last year so it’s no surprise rare issues are rarely posted.
for 7500 bux you basically get the same size hole in the roof
Old 02-03-2023, 09:53 AM
tsigwing
Burning Brakes

Received 991 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by RedTRex
That you can remove and reinstall with the press of a button, without taking up any space in the trunk and a rear window that goes up and down.
The following 2 users liked this post by tsigwing:
stevesvette (02-03-2023), STINGmole (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 10:15 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,504 Likes on 3,570 Posts

Originally Posted by tsigwing
That you can remove and reinstall with the press of a button, without taking up any space in the trunk and a rear window that goes up and down.
And doesn't have buffeting like the coup with the top off.
stevesvette (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 02:23 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Originally Posted by RedTRex
No, not really.

With the HTC, you also don't get that vertical wall behind you that blocks airflow and creates all kinds of buffeting when the roof is down, and blocks the sound of the exhaust. And you get to keep your trunk when the top is "off," too.
The following 3 users liked this post by Red Mist Rulz:
Foosh (02-03-2023), JimB. (02-03-2023), stevesvette (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 02:45 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,680 Likes on 8,314 Posts

There's less turbulence in the C8 HTC than any of the more than dozen convertibles I've owned of many makes. It's extremely comfortable with the top down at highway speeds. The nacelles shield occupants from the typical backflow, while allowing wind to smoothly escape without turbulence.

I owned one targa Corvette coupe, and the head-hammering buffet caused by turbulence of the wind traveling over the targa opening and colliding with the rear window area was so unpleasant that I just never took the top off again after a few tries. Sunroofs on vehicles have a similar buffet, the targa is just a big sunroof, and for the same reasons, I always keep them closed.

Every Corvette since has been a convertible.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:32 PM
STINGmole
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 155 Posts

The coupe seems like a better value from a performance and reliability perspective. I don't personally think there's a huge difference in the top down experience between the HTC and targa.

That being said, with the HTC you get the digital mirror (even if you have a 1LT, although personally I don't think I like it and prefer a real mirror), the trunk space, the rear window (which I roll down all the time, even in cold weather), the option of a factory carbon flash top, and you don't have to constantly clean your engine compartment...as I've found that at cars and coffee, a daily driven C8 coupe's engine compartment typically looks like water-spotted crap.

I think almost half of C8 production is the HTC, isn't it? The reliability concerns me, but given the number of cars out there and the number of issues reported, problems don't seem widespread.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:17 PM
at7000ft
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by tsigwing
Really like the rear window, usually have it open all the time, no matter the temperature. And can really hear that exhaust.

STINGmole (02-04-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 08:25 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Originally Posted by at7000ft
Really like the rear window, usually have it open all the time, no matter the temperature. And can really hear that exhaust.
When I was a kid, the lady across the street drove one of these. We kids (hers and me) love riding in the back with the window down. No seatbetlts, of course, so we were always facing backwards.
STINGmole (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 11:17 AM
Nbbrty
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phanni
I'd simply drive by your selling dealership and ask the salesman to demonstrate the feature. If it won't work for him, let them fix it. If the dealership is too far away, find a local corvette owner, local Vette club, or a local dealer to assist.
local dealer would help

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Won't Work