Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Won't Work

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 10:23 AM
chief7
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Convertible Top Won't Work

Yesterday, after almost 12 months, I picked up my HTC. Spent a few hours setting up everthing and then went for a drive. This car is a lot better than my C7, which I used to love.

Now for the problem. This morning I took the car out of the garage and tried to put the top down - NOTHING. I tried a couple of times with the same result. Turned the car off, thinking something might reset, but still nothing. Has anyone had this issue? If yes, what is the easy fix short of bringing it to the dealership?
The following users liked this post:
Nbbrty (02-04-2023)

Popular Reply

11-24-2021, 06:42 PM
chief7
Intermediate

The issue with mine was the control module not communicating with the HTC gears. New module put in and issue was resolved.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:39 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,732 Likes on 847 Posts

I'd simply drive by your selling dealership and ask the salesman to demonstrate the feature. If it won't work for him, let them fix it. If the dealership is too far away, find a local corvette owner, local Vette club, or a local dealer to assist.
thrilled (08-09-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 10:55 AM
BobG
Race Director

Received 3,573 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Did you hold the button down (push) while you were trying to get it to open? There is a short delay before it starts, so if you just push it down, and expect it to start, it won't open. Also, you need to keep the button pushed until you see the dic say "operation complete".

Did you also try the remote? Quickly press the unlock key, then immediately hold down the roof key. Again, there is a delay, and you'll need to hold the button down continuously until the operation is complete.

Of course if the remote works, and the switch doesn't, you may end up having to keep the top down, as the remote will not close it.
The following 4 users liked this post by BobG:
GH3479 (08-09-2021), Italianfox (08-08-2021), PHILLIP YOUNG (11-24-2021), R23HTC (08-31-2022)
Old 08-08-2021, 11:09 AM
2017 NDGS SGBE
Pro

Received 350 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by BobG
Did you hold the button down (push) while you were trying to get it to open? There is a short delay before it starts, so if you just push it down, and expect it to start, it won't open. Also, you need to keep the button pushed until you see the dic say "operation complete".

Did you also try the remote? Quickly press the unlock key, then immediately hold down the roof key. Again, there is a delay, and you'll need to hold the button down continuously until the operation is complete.

Of course if the remote works, and the switch doesn't, you may end up having to keep the top down, as the remote will not close it.
Suggest start the car possibly battery not fully charged? My first few days of operating there were attempts my HTC did not operate and I thought crap😫😫. But it was me not doing the operating sequence properly good luck!
ladder13 (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 11:28 AM
chief7
Intermediate

The top worked perfectly yesterday. It went up and down parked and moving.
JScottH3 (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 11:39 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 20,002 Likes on 14,411 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sorry to hear of the problem and hope you can get the top to work properly.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:52 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,841 Likes on 4,418 Posts

Did the car display any error messages on the DIC?
Old 08-08-2021, 01:32 PM
chief7
Intermediate

Negative on an error message. I'm hoping it is just a fuse.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:18 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,268 Likes on 6,245 Posts

More than you wanted to know from the service manual:

Power Folding Top Description and Operation
Overview
The operation of the folding top is fully-automatic and consists of the engine tonneau, rear window, roof panels, the header, multiple sensors, and
modules. The user of the vehicle must press and hold the folding top switch or the button on the transmitter and the control module latches and
unlatches the folding top while electric motors provides the force to open the tonneau cover then remove and stow the top. The transmitter button
will only operate the system when the vehicle is OFF and will only open the top not close it. The folding top operation begins with the vehicle
lowering the rear window and opening the tonneau. The rear window must be normalized and operational for the folding top to operate. If the rear
window fails to open the tonneau will open but the folding top roof panels will not open. While the tonneau is opening the folding top header is
unlatching. The header latch consists of one motor and two latches. There are two sensors to detect if the header is latched or unlatched as well as
a sensor on each latching hook. After the window is lowered and the tonneau is open the two folding top roof panels will move to the stowed
position. Once the roof panels are locked in their stowed position the tonneau will lower back into position and the rear window will remain
lowered. The rear window can be raised and lowered as normal through the rear window switch.
To close the roof the user of the vehicle must pull up and hold the folding top switch while the vehicle is ON/in service mode. The top cannot be
closed by using the transmitter. To close the folding top first the rear window will lower, if the window does not lower the folding top panels will
not close. After the tonneau opens the roof panels unlatch from the stowed position, move to the closed position and then latch to the header.
Once the folding top panels are latched the rear window will raise and the tonneau will close. During the folding top close operation the side
windows will temporarily drop a very small amount and the return to their position.
The folding top system is specifically aligned and positioned. Anytime it is serviced or any components are removed the system should not be
moved or it could be put out of alignment. When the engine tonneau is raised there is a pin to mechanically lock it in the open position. The
modules hold the tonneau in the open position so if they are removed the tonneau could fall closed.
The folding top system consists of the following:
Folding Top Control Module — Left
Folding Top Control Module — Right
Folding Top Stowage Compartment Control Module — Left
Folding Top Stowage Compartment Control Module — Right
Folding Top Control Switch
Roof Closed Sensor
Roof Panels Closed Locked Sensor
Roof Locked Stowed Sensor
Roof Closed Locked Sensor
Roof Stowed Sensor
Tonneau Locked Sensors
Tonneau Open Sensor
Power Hard Top Latch Closed Sensor
Tonneau Ajar Sensor
Folding Top Control Modules
Folding Top Control Module Left
The folding top control module left is the logical master for the folding top system and determines folding top movement by controlling the
activation and direction of the built in electric motor along with the folding top control module right. The motor uses two internal sensors to
determine position and direction. It uses CAN 4 BUS to interact with other sub-systems, communicate folding top status and position, and
interface with the driver via the driver information center.
Module inputs:
Folding Top Control Switch
Roof Closed Sensor
Rear window backlight
Folding Top Control Module Right
The folding top control module right follows the commands of the folding top control module left and contains a built in electric motor. The motor
uses two internal sensors to determine position and direction.
Module inputs:
Roof Stowed Sensor
Folding Top Stowage Compartment Control Module Left
The folding top stowage compartment control module left follows the commands of the folding top logical master and contains a built in electric
motor. The motor uses two internal sensors to determine position and direction. It determines engine tonneau movement along with the folding top
stowage compartment control module right. The folding top stowage compartment control module left is also part of the folding top system which
is controlled over all by the logical master which is the folding top control module left. It uses CAN 4 BUS to interact with other sub-systems,
communicate engine tonneau status and position, and interface with the driver via the driver information center.
Module inputs:
Tonneau Locked Sensor Left
Tonneau Open Sensor
Folding Top Stowage Compartment Control Module Right
The folding top stowage compartment control module right follows the commands of the folding top stowage compartment control module left and
contains a built in electric motor. The motor uses two internal sensors to determine position and direction.
Module inputs:
Tonneau Closed and Locked Sensor Right
Power Hard Top Latch Open Sensor
Front Latch Motor
Switches and Sensors
Control Switches
The folding top interior control switch is located on the door panel and is connected directly to the folding top control module. Pushing down on
the switch opens the top and pulling up closes the top. The folding top transmitter control switch is located on the keyless entry transmitter. Pushing
the transmitter lock button once followed by pressing and holding the folding top button opens the engine tonneau and pressing the transmitter
unlock button once followed by pressing and holding the folding top button opens the top when the vehicle OFF. When the engine tonneau is
open, pressing the lock button once followed by pressing and holding the folding top button will close the engine tonneau. The folding top cannot
be closed using the transmitter. There is a window switch for the rear window located on door. The rear window can be operated independently
of the folding top but when the folding top is operated the rear window will automatically go down when opening the top and go up when the top is
closed.
Roof Closed Sensor
The sensor is a current sensing hall effect sensor that provides either an open or closed position to the module and shares a 12V reference with the
other sensors on the folding top control module left.
The sensor is a current sensing hall effect sensor that provides either an open or closed position to the module and shares a 12V reference with the
other sensors on the folding top control module right.
Roof Stowed Sensor
other sensors on the folding top control module right.
Tonneau Locked Sensors
There is a left and right sensor. They are current sensing hall effect sensor that provides either an open or closed position to the module and shares
a 12V reference with the other sensors on the folding top stowage compartment control module left and right.
Tonneau Open Sensor
other sensors on the folding top stowage compartment control module left.
other sensors on the folding top stowage compartment control module right.
Tonneau Ajar Sensor
other sensors on the folding top stowage compartment control module right.
Folding Top Operation
Once folding top movement has begun, the switch must be held active for the full range of motion. If the switch returns to the OFF position while
the power folding top is in motion all motion will cease. When the folding top is lowered using the transmitter the rear lights will flash once to
indicate the vehicle received the message and will attempt to open the folding top.
Open/Down
When the folding top control module sees the open signal from the folding top control switch, it will start to open the folding top provided all of the
following are true.
Condition Source of Info
System Power Mode is Run or Accessory when using the vehicle switch or only OFF when using the transmitter to
open the top Serial Data
Voltage is between 9–16 V Module inputs
No Diagnostics Faults are detected Module inputs
Ambient Temperature is above –4.5°C (23°F) and below 84.5°C (184.1°F) Serial Data
None of the motors are in an over temperature condition Module software
algorithm
Vehicle Speed Below 50 kph (31 mph) Serial Data
Trunk is not Open Serial Data
Valet mode is off Serial Data
Rear window normalized and operational Module inputs
Once folding top movement has begun, the switch must be held active for the full range of motion. If the switch returns to the ‘off’ position
while the power folding top is in motion all motion will cease.
Switch Operation For Top Opening
Folding Top Position
Switch Parameter
Fully Closed
Folding Top Status DID 4706 Fully Closed
Roof Closed Sensor 7816 On/Active
Roof Panels Closed Locked Sensor 7714 On/Active
Roof Locked Stowed Sensor 7712 Off/Inactive
Roof Closed Locked Sensor 7711 On/Active
Roof Stowed Sensor 7715 Off/Inactive
Tonneau Locked Sensor Left 7716 On/Active
Tonneau Locked Sensor Right 7717 On/Active
Tonneau Open Sensor 7718 Off/Inactive
Power Hard Top Latch Closed Sensor 7707 On/Active
Tonneau Ajar Sensor 7709 Off/Inactive
Fully Open
Folding Top Status DID 4706 Fully Open
Roof Closed Sensor 7816 Off/Inactive
Roof Panels Closed Locked Sensor 7714 On/Active
Roof Locked Stowed Sensor 7712 On/Active
Roof Closed Locked Sensor 7711 Off/Inactive
Roof Stowed Sensor 7715 On/Active
Tonneau Locked Sensor Left 7716 On/Active
Tonneau Locked Sensor Right 7717 On/Active
Tonneau Open Sensor 7718 Off/Inactive
Power Hard Top Latch Closed Sensor 7707 On/Active
Tonneau Ajar Sensor 7709 Off/Inactive
Close/Up
When the folding top control module sees the close signal from the folding top control switch, it will start to close the folding top provided all of the
following are true.
Condition Source of Info
System Power Mode is Run or Accessory Serial Data
Voltage is between 9–16 V Module inputs
No Diagnostics Faults are detected Module inputs
Ambient Temperature is above –19.5°C (-3.1°F) and below 84.5°C (184.1°F) Serial Data
Vehicle Speed Below 50 kph (31 mph) Serial Data
Trunk is not Open Serial Data
Valet mode is off Serial Data
Rear window normalized and operational Module inputs
Driver Information Messages
Refer to the owner manual for a complete list of folding top messages.
​​​​​​​
The following 3 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
nelson007 (08-08-2021), PHILLIP YOUNG (10-23-2021), speedlink (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 06:26 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

I’ve had a few issues, top operation being one. Then I took out the manual and studied it. Operator error on my part.
The following 2 users liked this post by ladder13:
GH3479 (08-09-2021), thrilled (09-03-2022)
Old 08-08-2021, 07:26 PM
fmschatz
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

No problem with my HTC
JScottH3 (12-28-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 08:52 PM
chief7
Intermediate

I wish that was just operator error but I had it working the first day.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:46 PM
chief7
Intermediate

Stopped by the Chevy dealer today and had the Vette mechanic look at the car. He has not had anything similar with the other HTC's and has no idea what is wrong. He is going to research the issue and I will bring the car back at a later date. Thankfully, the top is in the closed position so it can still be driven.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:44 PM
Cjacobs
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HTC won’t open

I have the same issue. Roof won’t retract into bay. Just hear a light click. Brought to dealer, they messaged GM, to date after a few weeks no response from GM. No bulletins or reporting of any issues. Any updates on yours?
Old 09-11-2021, 08:50 PM
chief7
Intermediate

When I returned from a trip out of the country the top amazingly worked. I had already made an appointment to bring it to the CHevy dealer so I brought the car in as scheduled. They ran a scan of the control module which gave them a reference code. However, they were unable to tell the exact cause of the top not going down. Since it was operational at the time they could not determine exactly what the problem was. For the past week the top has worked without fail. That said, everytime I take the top down I worry that it might rain and it won't go back up.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:06 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,511 Likes on 1,967 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by chief7
When I returned from a trip out of the country the top amazingly worked. I had already made an appointment to bring it to the CHevy dealer so I brought the car in as scheduled. They ran a scan of the control module which gave them a reference code. However, they were unable to tell the exact cause of the top not going down. Since it was operational at the time they could not determine exactly what the problem was. For the past week the top has worked without fail. That said, everytime I take the top down I worry that it might rain and it won't go back up.
that IS something to worry about. since they do have a code, what does it mean? does the top have to not be working to figure out what the code says/means?
Old 09-11-2021, 09:24 PM
chief7
Intermediate

You are correct. They need the top to not be working so that the code specifys what is wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Top Won't Work

Old 09-11-2021, 09:32 PM
MagicGlass
Melting Slicks

Received 1,275 Likes on 582 Posts

Try re indexing the side windows.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:31 AM
Cjacobs
Cruising

Already did that, and the whole open with the fob thing, neither works.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:36 AM
Cjacobs
Cruising

The whole scenario went from it happened once or twice, randomly, which I chalked up to user error, then every third time, now every day. Can’t get it to happen at the dealer, as apparently if the car is run and shut off a few times, then the roof will or will not retract again. Makes it a pain to want to go out unless there is guaranteed no rain. He tried to read the code right after I got there, but no code shows up only the message to “ service convertible top”.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Won't Work