Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I feel like a Mormon - spreading Corvette scripture

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 02:28 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,291 Likes on 1,816 Posts

Originally Posted by c5arlen
I won't comment on your Morman statement and I've owned a couple of Porsches before the C5... Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house..
Ummm, ok? You sound like you are either a longtime Porsche owner...or a Mormon (I fixed it for you)...or both. But please elaborate because your statement makes ZERO sense.

The Mormon comment was meant as a joke of someone spreading the word. I promise, no Mormons or Porsches were injured in the making of this post. In its day, the difference between a C5 Corvette and a Porsche was a chasm that Evil Knievil wouldn't attempt jumping. That gap has been slowly shrinking with each generation and I think most would agree that the gap between Porsche and the C8 has closed to a distance you jump across with a good run up on foot.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:50 PM
Bird67
Melting Slicks

Received 3,295 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Originally Posted by MattMD
Porsche dealer experience is way better than Chevy. Porsche will let anybody test drive basically any car on the lot. Couple years ago I went to my local Chevy dealer asking about a used c7 Z06 on the lot and was basically told to go f*** myself.

With the C8s it's probably even worse, would get laughed out of the showroom if you asked for a test drive. So it's not actually possible to really get to experience a Corvette from a dealer before getting on a list or buying unless you seek out a current owner or rent one. I can see why someone wouldn't want to deal with that.
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
Ummm, ok? You sound like you are either a longtime Porsche owner...or a Mormon (I fixed it for you)...or both. But please elaborate because your statement makes ZERO sense.

The Mormon comment was meant as a joke of someone spreading the word. I promise, no Mormons or Porsches were injured in the making of this post. In its day, the difference between a C5 Corvette and a Porsche was a chasm that Evil Knievil wouldn't attempt jumping. That gap has been slowly shrinking with each generation and I think most would agree that the gap between Porsche and the C8 has closed to a distance you jump across with a good run up on foot.
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Corvette C8
My friends all drive Porsches, they can’t get a date
Worked hard all my lifetime, but prices escalate
So Lord, won't you buy me a Corvette C8

The following users liked this post:
Big Lebowski (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 03:17 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bird67
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Corvette C8
My friends all drive Porsches, they can’t get a date
Worked hard all my lifetime, but prices escalate
So Lord, won't you buy me a Corvette C8
I'm pretty sure there was something in there about a Mercedes Benz, but I could be wrong... I like your version better.

Old 02-23-2022, 03:44 PM
MattMD
Burning Brakes

Received 1,227 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski

Sadly, I agree with all of the above regarding Chevy dealers. As a Corvette fanboy, I felt like they were a necessary evil and I wasn't going to let them get in the way of my dream car. I'm grateful to have found a local dealer that has serviced all of my Corvettes for 15+ years. They handle my Corvettes with kids gloves because I'm an **** M'fer, lol. I have personally known my service advisor and Corvette tech for years, but I went through several dealers before I found them. Sadly, on the "sales" side I've never bought from them. They get very few cars and always mark up. When my 911 friend was asking, I actually told him that I didn't think the C8 was for him due to dealer service. Luckily he lives pretty close to Stasek in the northern burbs, so my hope is they will take care of him.

He spent DAYS calling around to dealers with Corvettes in stock to see if they'd take MSRP. We all know how that went, and a few of them literally laughed at him. I tried to warn him. I sent him to the out of state dealer I have my Z06 on order with and to my surprise, they are getting him an allocation next month...with delivery by April / May. Stunned. Looking forward to having another friend with a Corvette...and proud of GM producing a product getting tire kickers from other benchmark brands.
Agree.. I really dislike the aforementioned Chevy dealer that's local to my small hometown. They BS me on the C7s I was looking at, they BS me on their C8 waitlist charging over MSRP to people on the waitlist, they refuse to do courtesy delivery, etc. etc. It's not even an American bad, German good thing - the Ford dealer within a mile of that Chevy dealer has always treated me great, for a while I drove a 1998 Ford Expedition from 120k to 230k+ miles and they were my main service dealer and were always square with me. Want to test drive a GT350, a Raptor? No problem.

There will always be bad apples but seems like Chevy has more than usual.

I'll probably just go out of my way to take my car to Criswell once I get it for my dealer needs. Their waitlist is just longer than I care to wait.
The following users liked this post:
Big Lebowski (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 07:46 PM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,162 Posts

I'm surprised at all the hate for Chevy dealerships. I love my Chevy dealership and every experience I have had with them over the years has been outstanding.
I just picked up my Traverse RS from them yesterday and even though it took two months for it to be delivered after it was produced my experience with my dealer was fantastic.
The only vehicle I have purchased not from them recently was a 2017 Honda Pilot from a large Honda dealer. Now that was a crappy dealership that I will never buy from again. They treated me like crap and I vowed to never buy another Honda because of that dealership.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDSC8VETTE:
BIG Dave (02-25-2022), Big Lebowski (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 02:22 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JDSC8VETTE
I'm surprised at all the hate for Chevy dealerships. I love my Chevy dealership and every experience I have had with them over the years has been outstanding.
I just picked up my Traverse RS from them yesterday and even though it took two months for it to be delivered after it was produced my experience with my dealer was fantastic.
The only vehicle I have purchased not from them recently was a 2017 Honda Pilot from a large Honda dealer. Now that was a crappy dealership that I will never buy from again. They treated me like crap and I vowed to never buy another Honda because of that dealership.
I'm not sure if I'd describe others feedback as "hate" for Chevy dealers, as much as THEIR personal experience as a Corvette owner and the reputation that Chevy dealers have earned. Unfortunately, for Corvette owners this experience has a history of falling short of expectations when servicing a car that has the prestige and price point of the Corvette. I get that a loaded Tahoe or Pick-up can cost as much or more than a Corvette, but GM made a choice to pursue a particular type of buyer by producing a "luxury sports car". Some (not all) Chevy dealers are not able to meet expectations of this type of buyer, especially those coming from other brands. After going through several dealers, I found a local Chevy dealer that I love and trust for all my Corvette service and have been going to for 15+ years. I'm grateful to have found them...more so because I went through 3 Chevy dealers that all screwed me in one way or another.

I have never experienced the things that happened to me at a Chevy dealer at ANY other dealership brand.

I am loyal to a fault, but if you burn me, you're dead to me. Like forever. I'm not talking about trivial stuff like being left too long in the waiting room, no loaner or not getting a phone call returned. I'm talking about lying, deceit, over charging AND damage. One Chevy dealer REPAINTED my C6 Corvette without telling me! I noticed the smell and they said nothing. It wasn't until I found a piece of GREEN painters tape dangling from the underside of my Corvette that I went ballistic.

Your experience is the exception, not the rule. If you have never experienced problems at a Chevy dealer, that is your experience and you are blessed! But it doesn't make our experience any less true.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:52 PM
C5racecar
Drifting

Received 1,003 Likes on 488 Posts

I bought a 944 Porsche back in the 84 because I liked the style and shape. The quality of everything was great. There were no American cars that were close to that smooth sleek design. That was my first SCCA road race car.
Trying to make some upgrades and replace some parts was the first big shock. The cost of parts was astronomical, and absolutely ridiculous. People don't work on these cars, they take it to a dealer and don't ask what it costs. That's crazy.
Then I started going to some Porsche club activities and exploring the lifestyle. Very polite people, somewhat formal, not exactly a wild and crazy bunch. They were shocked that I welded a roll cage into my car. The big problem for me was that I felt I was stupid for spending so much money for a car. I could go a lot faster for a lot less money with an American car.

Then I saw a C4 Corvette up close, WOW game changer. I was impressed with what GM had done with forged aluminum suspension arms, electronic fuel injection, a tilt front end, aluminum brake calipers, etc. etc. My Porsche looked like and antique after that. I sold the Porsche and bought an 86 Z-51 for the same amount of money. I raced that car and won several SCCA road racing championships, and set track records at Sonoma and PIR. The Corvette club people that I met over the next years were a great bunch of party people.

Lesson learned: German cars are cool, but way way overpriced. Do I need to preach that lesson, no I don't even try. If someone really thinks a Porsche is the best way to drive, it's fine with me that you are paying double for that experience. It is easy to see that the C8 is a total game changer. A new generation of cost effective American sports car, very stylish and high tech, and high quality. It is a total evolution of American engineering and manufacturing. You can spend three times the money for a car, you are not going to get three times the thrill, or value.

Last edited by C5racecar; 02-24-2022 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:59 PM
Enderthex
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by C5racecar
It is easy to see that the C8 is a total game changer. A new generation of cost effective American sports car, very stylish and high tech, and high quality. It is a total evolution of American engineering and manufacturing. You can spend three times the money for a car, you are not going to get three times the thrill, or value.
You could say the C8 is the embodiment of American engineering... Cheap, fast, high quality and innovative all rolled into one.

It's one thing that bothered me about my Japanese and German Motorcycles... The Japanese never took risks and their bikes stayed simple and reliable... The first year BMW motorcycle I have (F800GS) was innovative but it also spent a lot of time in the shop under warranty. It wasn't an isolated incident either, if anyone who owned one of these bikes rode it enough all the flaws would be exposed. The Germans can get it right but it takes them time to tune in the design.
Old 02-24-2022, 04:44 PM
C5racecar
Drifting

Received 1,003 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Enderthex
You could say the C8 is the embodiment of American engineering... Cheap, fast, high quality and innovative all rolled into one.

It's one thing that bothered me about my Japanese and German Motorcycles... The Japanese never took risks and their bikes stayed simple and reliable... The first year BMW motorcycle I have (F800GS) was innovative but it also spent a lot of time in the shop under warranty. It wasn't an isolated incident either, if anyone who owned one of these bikes rode it enough all the flaws would be exposed. The Germans can get it right but it takes them time to tune in the design.
That's kind of a surprise. The German cars are usually highly engineered and tested, really refined, but you really pay a high premium for that. I thought German motorcycles would be the same. German engineering is usually really good, but it takes a lot of time because they overdo it with engineering, testing, and evaluate everything to death. That is passed on to the customer in the retail price, and I just don't like paying double for a car, and triple for parts. Buy American.

Quick Reply: I feel like a Mormon - spreading Corvette scripture