Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe top removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 08:44 PM
Zormecteon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,437 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by DerbyCity
I have watched numerous top removals on YouTube. Some have bounced them off the corvette , dropped it, and struggled. Others can do it easily. I’m 61, 5’8” and wonder to go with a HTC instead.
what are the experiences of the coupe owners my size?
Driving with the top off is not the same as driving an HTC. .. While I haven't ridden at speed in an HTC, everyone reports "smooth sailing".. The same cannot be said for a coupe without a top. There is a Helmhotz effect that becomes quite noticeable and annoying at around 60 mph or maybe even less. If you plan to drive at freeway speeds with the top off, .. get an HTC.

Another inconvenience is having a place to PUT the top. Sure, it goes in the trunk, but then you can't use the trunk. But, if you leave it in the garage and it starts to rain during your drive........

I mention this a a coupe owner.... 5' 6" tall with no problem taking the top off or putting it back.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:17 PM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteND
I had a coupe on order from the startup of 2020 and finally secured an allocation for a 2023. When it was time to finalize the order I witched to a HTC. The biggest reason being my wife and I plan on doing some traveling with the car and I remembered the dilemma of last Corvette convertible that we did any significant traveling in. Like the couple the stowed tops virtually eliminated any luggage storage, so the top never came off while we traveled. The beautiful feature of the C8 HTC is that the top can be down and not affect any personal storage. The power rear window is an awesome bonus. Yes a little expensive however zero regrets.
That is a great point that many overlook/don't consider (top / luggage storage)!
Old 10-06-2022, 02:23 PM
ClarkN
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Reminds of a funny story but not so funny at the time. So I go to take the top off my C-6. I have done this countless times. Top off and as I turn/twist my back completely gives out and for anyone who has ever had this happen you will understand. It feels like I have been shot in the back. Suddenly I find myself on the ground but with the top on my chest and somehow unscathed. My knee and toe were bloody but nothing else!! I'm sure the neighbors thought I was drunk at the time and now they think I'm crazy as I stretch before removing the top!
The following users liked this post:
DerbyCity (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 02:19 PM
gchu
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the transparent top and it is surprisingly light

I was worried too as I've always had convertibles for my "fun" car, but I do love the transparent top as it reminds me of the T-Tops of my first 3rd gen IROC

I've had a Volvo C70 which is a hardtop convertible - which I loved but was deathly afraid of having it fail. The Volkswagon Eos had a built in sunroof in their HTC, which would have been a good option!

So between the angst of failure and the lack of the transparent top on a HTC, I am very happy with my coupe.
DerbyCity (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 02:51 PM
AMMUSCLE
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Tops flying off club

How about the tops flying off while driving.
Yes I was once a part of this sad Top Flying Club
50mph landed on the grass unhurt.
It is a creeping feeling and sound.
The look on my face must have been priceless.
I pulled in my garage put the top on and was getting ready to secure when I smelt smoke and the wife screaming.
Just a pan fire, well I spaced out and forgot until next day.
So funny that I was always laughing when i seen these videos., not anymore.
Only happened once and hopefully never again. LOL

DerbyCity (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 10:54 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

My 2 cents. The transparent top is heavy. By that I mean its big and can be hard to handle if you don't grip the top at the right positions when removing..
When I pop the top I release all 3 latches and from the inside push up on the front to give me a place to grip. The top is just bulky ok.
Has been since the C4. T-tops are the glory years. I could sit at a long red light and remove both tops on my 76 and store them behind the seats before the traffic light changed.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:03 PM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 645 Likes on 409 Posts

Any problems putting the top in the trunk with a high wing? Haven’t done it yet, I’m 5’-7”, and wondering what’s the best way to do that. Load it in from the side or from the rear over the wing? Just looking for some suggestions and experience from those with the high wing. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2022, 11:05 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 3,086 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
My 2 cents. The transparent top is heavy. By that I mean its big and can be hard to handle if you don't grip the top at the right positions when removing..
When I pop the top I release all 3 latches and from the inside push up on the front to give me a place to grip. The top is just bulky ok.
Has been since the C4. T-tops are the glory years. I could sit at a long red light and remove both tops on my 76 and store them behind the seats before the traffic light changed.
I have zero problem removing or replacing top at a stop light that I know to be a minute or more - I'm 81.
DerbyCity (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 07:04 PM
Fishfryer527
Drifting

Received 1,157 Likes on 520 Posts

My wife will be driving the car probably more than I will… we are 60 years old. So, while I have no doubt it she can actually lift off the top, how many of your wives can do it ‘with confidence’?

Also, just for a frame of reference, how many chick push-ups can they do?

I don’t want another convertible, I’ve had several and just don’t want to deal with the possible mechanism failure again down the road.
DerbyCity (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 07:11 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,288 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

'21 coupe: age 72, 5'10 at 174 lbs and no problems doing it myself.
DerbyCity (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 07:20 PM
IdRatherBGolfing
Drifting

Received 934 Likes on 495 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2921 C8 of the Year 2021 Modified Finalist

I agree with the other pro HTC'ers. I have a C6 and an HTC C8. I seldom ever take off the top of the C6 even though it's relatively easy to do. In the HTC I put the top down as I am backing out of my driveway all the time, even just running to store a few blocks away. And put it back up as I finding a parking spot. I also love the ease and the ability to use both trunks with the top down. I even took touring laps at COTA with the top down after the drive from Houston with luggage, small cooler, wife's purse in the frunk and 2 sets of clubs and to folding chairs in the trunk.
The following 2 users liked this post by IdRatherBGolfing:
DerbyCity (10-25-2022), Rapid Fred (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 07:29 PM
DerbyCity
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
I could sit at a long red light and remove both tops on my 76 and store them behind the seats before the traffic light changed.
In 1983 , I bought a low mileage 1975. It was my dream car. I sold four years later to use as a down payment on a home. Closed on it two weeks before I was married. Sold my Harley to pay for the wedding. I put off retirement to buy a this Corvette. Last day at work is April 3. Been there since January 1989.
Old 10-25-2022, 11:05 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,368 Posts

I have a coupe but don’t plan to remove it and it’s not because it’s too heavy or cumbersome. It’s just too noisy, too hot and interior would would get too dirty for my taste with it removed. Guess I’m not a topless kind of guy.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:35 PM
VET4GAR
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Easy!!!

I am 5' 9 1/4" and it is SUPER easy to remove and replace. Most of the time it is in the trunk! Go to a dealer and try it if they will let you.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:12 PM
JonV51
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe the top is only 10 lbs or 13 lbs. its not hard to do at all. I take the top off by myself all the time and put it back on by myself. Is it easier with two people, sure. But it is not hard to do.

It might be a little awkward at first because of the length of the top. But no worries you can handle it.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:22 PM
seafordguy
Racer

Received 380 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamr616
Any problems putting the top in the trunk with a high wing? Haven’t done it yet, I’m 5’-7”, and wondering what’s the best way to do that. Load it in from the side or from the rear over the wing? Just looking for some suggestions and experience from those with the high wing. Thanks!
No issue - just load it from behind like you would a low wing.

The top is VERY light, but it is a bit awkward the way it's cantilevered out away from you. There is a touch of anxiety when lifting it up - you just don't want to make a mistake and scratch anything. I'm happy with my coupe - probably won't have the top of more than a few times a year

DerbyCity (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 09:45 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 12,053 Likes on 5,729 Posts

Originally Posted by JonV51
I believe the top is only 10 lbs or 13 lbs. its not hard to do at all. I take the top off by myself all the time and put it back on by myself. Is it easier with two people, sure. But it is not hard to do.

It might be a little awkward at first because of the length of the top. But no worries you can handle it.
The targa top is 15.5lbs and transparent top is 17lbs, however you are correct neither are difficult to remove or install.
Personally, I have transparent top and enjoy it more than hardtop or having the top off.

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe top removal

Old 10-28-2022, 12:04 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,684 Likes on 1,665 Posts

I have never had an issue with Targa removal. I'm 6' 205 and 77
DerbyCity (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 07:41 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 4,236 Likes on 2,489 Posts

Originally Posted by DerbyCity
I have watched numerous top removals on YouTube. Some have bounced them off the corvette , dropped it, and struggled. Others can do it easily. I’m 61, 5’8” and wonder to go with a HTC instead.
what are the experiences of the coupe owners my size?
I have an HTC ( and would buy it again) so I can't comment on the ease of top removal, other than to say it obviously requires a certain level of agility and physical strength. Anyway, there was another lengthy thread about HTC vs Coupe. I reviewed that thread (and available documentation) and attempted to summarize the actual differences between the models, as well as owner perceptions of those difference - and present it in an unbiased way in the table below:

DerbyCity (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 07:58 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 12,053 Likes on 5,729 Posts

Originally Posted by Andybump
I have an HTC ( and would buy it again) so I can't comment on the ease of top removal, other than to say it obviously requires a certain level of agility and physical strength. Anyway, there was another lengthy thread about HTC vs Coupe. I reviewed that thread (and available documentation) and attempted to summarize the actual differences between the models, as well as owner perceptions of those difference - and present it in an unbiased way in the table below:
Please let's not turn this into yet another HTC vs Coup thread/conflict. This thread is a about removing/installing the coup top, not at all about the HTC.

Quick Reply: Coupe top removal