Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack Stand Locations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 07:43 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 418 Posts

Default Jack Stand Locations?

Please let me know the 4 points where jack stands should be used. (Any picts) Thanks!
Old 03-17-2024, 07:51 AM
bucker2
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

All you will need to know :

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...and-on-c8.html
The following users liked this post:
V Vette (03-17-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 07:54 AM
mikegr
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
Please let me know the 4 points where jack stands should be used. (Any picts) Thanks!
Need to remove plastic covers to use these. I generally put jack stands on the rear cradle where shown in yellow in the middle picture and then use my scissor jack on my 4 post to lift the front by the pucks but have put jack stands under the yellow indicated bars in front with no issues

The following 3 users liked this post by mikegr:
kromdom (03-17-2024), rckt (03-26-2024), V Vette (03-17-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 03:43 PM
MEZR
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

So while at Spring Mountain. During the owners school. They had a slide where they discussed lifting the car. They said to locate the floor jack at the tie down locations to lift the car. And then place the jack stands at the lift points.

I thought this was pretty interesting and I wish I could provide the power point slide. So I am going off of memory. Perhaps, I misunderstood what they were saying. But it was something that stuck out and caught my attention. Especially considering the considerable amount of discussions on the forums.

Also, if you watch the Savagegeese Corvette video. The one where they have the Chevrolet engineers working on the the car in the garage. If you notice, they use four regular jack stands and a floor jack to completely lift the car. I reviewed this video but it is too edited and they don't show where they are placing the floor jack. But it shows that they are accomplishing it without any special jack stands or lift.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:21 PM
Steve Armstrong
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MEZR
So while at Spring Mountain. During the owners school. They had a slide where they discussed lifting the car. They said to locate the floor jack at the tie down locations to lift the car. And then place the jack stands at the lift points.

I was trying to understand this procedure as well and I haven't found an answer here nor have I seen a YouTube video showing as such.

Can anybody confirm? The PPT slide would be awesome.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 1,205 Likes on 614 Posts
Tech Contributor

same problem. I read more “don’t lift anywhere except on the oblong jackpoints“ then I do saying it's ok to jack somewhere else. And taking off the underclading to find jackstand points around the front and rear axles is too much hassle. So the only thing I’ve come up with is:

-jack on the jackpoint,
-slide $65 Rhino ramps underneath the tires,
-lower down on the ramps,
-then use jackstands on the jackpoint.

before you ask why not drive up on the ramp, I don’t like driving up the ramps and they are in the way of the jackpoints.

A cumbersome workaround, but it works.
Kbmwgt (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 04:36 PM
Lefty32
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegr
Need to remove plastic covers to use these. I generally put jack stands on the rear cradle where shown in yellow in the middle picture and then use my scissor jack on my 4 post to lift the front by the pucks but have put jack stands under the yellow indicated bars in front with no issues

Forgive me if I seem slow here. The color code is that the green spots are preferred alternatives to the main lift points and the yellow ones are secondary but also acceptable?
Old 03-21-2024, 04:47 PM
Bomeyer
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by MEZR

I thought this was pretty interesting and I wish I could provide the power point slide. So I am going off of memory. Perhaps, I misunderstood what they were saying. But it was something that stuck out and caught my attention. Especially considering the considerable amount of discussions on the forums.

Also, if you watch the Savagegeese Corvette video. The one where they have the Chevrolet engineers working on the the car in the garage. If you notice, they use four regular jack stands and a floor jack to completely lift the car. I reviewed this video but it is too edited and they don't show where they are placing the floor jack. But it shows that they are accomplishing it without any special jack stands or lift.
I was confused about their slide too. My '23 manual:

MEZR (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 05:26 PM
MEZR
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomeyer
I was confused about their slide too. My '23 manual:

Deleted my comments, I'm getting confused. Too many holes and slots in my head.

Last edited by MEZR; 03-21-2024 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:20 PM
mikegr
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Lefty32
Forgive me if I seem slow here. The color code is that the green spots are preferred alternatives to the main lift points and the yellow ones are secondary but also acceptable?
My interpretation was all of the locations marked in green or yellow are ok to lift the vehicle by and can support a jack stand. Some are however fairly far inboard so although front/ rear weight distribution is not an issue, you need to be aware of that. I was simply showing all the locations that appear to be ok to support weight of vehicle.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:43 PM
Lefty32
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

My interpretation was all of the locations marked in green or yellow are ok to lift the vehicle by and can support a jack stand. Some are however fairly far inboard so although front/ rear weight distribution is not an issue, you need to be aware of that. I was simply showing all the locations that appear to be ok to support weight of vehicle.
OK. Thanks for the confirmation. I doubt that I'll have much cause to lift my car at home except to rotate the tires L-R so those in-board lifting points (subject to access/plastic cover panels) are encouraging.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:45 PM
Cerulean
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 28 Posts

I've always wondered how am I supposed to place jack stands when it is very specific that I have to jack up using the oval hole spots
Old 03-21-2024, 07:52 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,504 Likes on 3,570 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Armstrong
I was trying to understand this procedure as well and I haven't found an answer here nor have I seen a YouTube video showing as such.

Can anybody confirm? The PPT slide would be awesome.
I do it the way Spring Mountain does it. That way the official lifting locations are available for jack stands. The round holes in the frame are the tie down locations.
JimB. (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 07:59 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Just as a clarification, the service manual doesn't say the yellow locations under the panels are lifting locations. They are additional support locations to be used when heavy items are being removed from the car while on a lift so the car's CG isn't shifted to the point it wants to fall off the lift. Not saying those locations can't take the full weight of the car, just that the service manual doesn't say they can.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:07 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 362 Likes on 167 Posts

If you have seen the chassis cut a way the 2 side rails are capable of being lifted with a floor jack at any point. The pad locations are there to keep the car in balance so it won't fall off the lift if you remove the front wheels. So lifting adjacent to the pad locations and then putting a jack stand at the pad is what is done at spring mt. The only thing to consider is to be careful of the plastic body panels when lifting. I have urethane pads on my floor jack.
The following 3 users liked this post by jagtoes:
JimB. (03-22-2024), roy826 (03-22-2024), Steve Armstrong (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 11:47 AM
Steve Armstrong
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
If you have seen the chassis cut a way the 2 side rails are capable of being lifted with a floor jack at any point. The pad locations are there to keep the car in balance so it won't fall off the lift if you remove the front wheels. So lifting adjacent to the pad locations and then putting a jack stand at the pad is what is done at spring mt. The only thing to consider is to be careful of the plastic body panels when lifting. I have urethane pads on my floor jack.
So is it safe to assume that the round holes in post #3 photo can be used as lift points with the intention of placing jack stands where the oval holes are?
Old 03-22-2024, 11:58 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

So is it safe to assume that the round holes in post #3 photo can be used as lift points with the intention of placing jack stands where the oval holes are?
That's what I do. The rear round hole is close to the CG and lifts the whole side of the car. Handy if you are working on one side at a time. Make sure to use a lifting puck with a locating feature in the hole. You may have to grind down one side of the T to make it fit in the round hole.
Steve Armstrong (03-22-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Jack Stand Locations?

Old 03-22-2024, 12:07 PM
JimB.
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts

Very good question, and has been my question also. RKCRLR has stated that he does it that way and appears to be load bearing in the round holes for lifting purposes. Apparently Spring Mountain does the same, as stated by several posters, and SM has a lot of experience in those matters. So, I'm going with it is a safe, acceptable and load bearing solution to the C8 dilemma of where and how to put the jack stands.
The following 2 users liked this post by JimB.:
RKCRLR (03-22-2024), V Vette (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 12:10 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JimB.
Very good question, and has been my question also. RKCRLR has stated that he does it that way and appears to be load bearing in the round holes for lifting purposes. Apparently Spring Mountain does the same, as stated by several posters, and SM has a lot of experience in those matters. So, I'm going with it is a safe, acceptable and load bearing solution to the C8 dilemma of where and how to put the jack stands.
The frame thickness in the area of the round holes is the same as the area around the oval holes.
The following 2 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
JimB. (03-22-2024), V Vette (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 12:17 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,841 Likes on 6,766 Posts

Yep my early pic. But got more info from member Big Lebowski who used my How To PDF for changing Brakes pads. He used a narrow based Jack Stand and lifted the front as in the top pic.

For the front for sure this could also work and no need to modify the lift pads top. IT COULD WORK FOR THE REAR IF THE JACK STAND IS PLACED CLOSE TO THE LIFT PAD WHERE JACK IS USED. Just be careful and as I do, use two jacks and keep slight tension on the jack for safety.

I bought a small base Jack Stand ($~10 ) that can work as well. Can also use under the "A" frame ball joint as I show in the 2020 pic with a square green symbol.

Quick Reply: Jack Stand Locations?