Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2024 Getting Road Speed to Display

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 01:18 AM
winders
Burning Brakes

Received 1,237 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by DashLynx
I wonder if anyone would be interested in having a gauge that shows the speed limit of the road you're traveling on

Something like in the image below

https://aeroforcetech.com/cdn/shop/f...c?v=1698696528
No...I am not driving a truck....

I stopped getting the posted speed limit once my OnStar sub expired and I don't really care. Waze displays the speed limit on the big screen and I can see that any time I want to look. Yes, I would like to see on the heads up display but GM has seen to that....
Old 05-01-2024, 08:33 AM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 364 Posts

My 2023 Z51 shows the speed limit (on the HUD) for the road I am driving on. I don’t have the Onstar Subscription and use Google maps. When driving in my subdivision the box (that has the speed limit numbers is blank). I am guessing that the speed limit info comes from Google Maps?
Old 05-01-2024, 09:00 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,261 Likes on 3,436 Posts

Originally Posted by Eliredandblack
My 2023 Z51 shows the speed limit (on the HUD) for the road I am driving on. I don’t have the Onstar Subscription and use Google maps. When driving in my subdivision the box (that has the speed limit numbers is blank). I am guessing that the speed limit info comes from Google Maps?
The 2023's and earlier get the speed limit information from the navigation SD card in the center console. Pull the card and the speed limit will go blank.
The following 2 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
Acpantera (05-01-2024), JerryU (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 09:32 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,556 Likes on 804 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
The 2023's and earlier get the speed limit information from the navigation SD card in the center console. Pull the card and the speed limit will go blank.
Makes total sense.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:43 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,677 Likes on 6,664 Posts

Default Things Charged for 2024 Vettes

For those that have not followed what occurred with the 2024 MY, this is a summary of what GM, as well as what other car companies are doing or plan to do:

Condensed from a number of articles:
Bottom Line:
GM made a classic marketing mistake with the 2024 with poor communication AND offering no free monthly service fee to make it "feel better!" They apparently plan to provide 3 YEARS FREE for the GM/Google "service product" in MY 2025, when they will also not allow Apple CarPlay etc! For my 2024 3LZ E-Ray they offered nothing! Slipped it "in" without making it clear, for example, road speed would not be available or displayed UNLESS you pay a minimum $29 monthly fee to OnStar (they own) or up to $49/month for max “services you may not want.” Or pay whatever for their, combined with Google, monthly "service fee!" That fee probably all goes to GM with Google happy to take all my location info and combine with what they already know about what I like to eat, wear, etc so they can get stores, food places I am about to pass, they will pay for ADS to send me discount coupons etc that show up on my Dash.

SIDEBAR
Some automakers, including BMW, have upset customers by instituting monthly fees in overseas markets to activate built-in features such as heated seats. General Motors sees the biggest revenue opportunities from software and services that go beyond what vehicles offer today. GM's chief digital officer said the decision to drop CarPlay and Android Auto will occur in 2025. GM is hoping to make as much as $25 billion per year just off subscriptions by 2030.

Such software and services represent a major growth opportunity for GM, particularly as they extend beyond a vehicle's first owner. The automaker has learned from its OnStar safety and connectivity service what consumers are willing to pay for and what they expect to be in the vehicle.

If I buy my vehicle today and two years from now, there's something that's been invented that's new, or a new service or a new feature, people are willing to pay for that. And so I think there's a lot of opportunity. The team's already done a lot of work. We've done a lot of research in understanding what the consumer will pay for and what they won't.

GM is not alone in the pursuit of software applications and recurring subscription features that can bring in additional revenue beyond the initial sale of the vehicle. Ford Motor Co. said it has roughly 600,000 customers paying for subscription services: 400,000 for its Ford Pro commercial unit and 200,000 for its BlueCruise hands-free driver-assist system.

Software and services allow a very different margin structure, allows for a longer relationship with the customer — the customer for the life of the vehicle. The average age of a vehicle in the United States is now over 12 years. And so you want that first, second, third customer and that connectivity. You can get it. And that's why we've made some decisions. We want to own the relationship with the customer.

While GM representatives did offer some basic reasons for ditching the beloved programs at the time of the announcement, the whole decision was poorly communicated. A two-page "media fact sheet" listed some benefits to EV route planning and charging as well as the company's semi-autonomous.

Tim Babbitt, GM's head of product for infotainment, gave a better explanation . According to him, there's an important factor that didn't make it into the fact sheet: safety. Specifically, he cited driver distraction caused by cell phone usage behind the wheel.

To that end, GM's "Ultifi" infotainment software features a suite of fully integrated Google apps like Maps and the Google Assistant, plus popular apps like Spotify and Audible. Installing Google Maps directly into the car obviates a major source of customer ire and major motivator for using CarPlay and Android Auto in the first place by getting rid of subpar in-house navigation systems and replacing them with a program everyone knows and prefers.

PS: GM, writing to one news source stated “We wanted to reach out to clarify that comments about GM's position on phone projection were misrepresented and to reinforce our valued partnerships with Apple and Google and each company's commitment to driver safety. GM's embedded infotainment strategy is driven by the benefits of having a system that allows for greater integration with the larger GM ecosystem and vehicles."

Marketing Speak, IMO!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-01-2024 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Acpantera (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 05:46 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Solved! No Fee, Have Speed Limit Showing!

Thanks for the help. Didn't need another WAZE APP, just how to set so Speed Limit always show!
This is what I did on my iPhone 15 Pro:
  1. Install WAZE APP on Phone
  2. Click on WAZE ICON on Phone
  3. Go To: Settings
  4. Then: Map Display
  5. Scroll to Speedometer
  6. Select Show Speed Limit (3 options)
  • Don't Show
  • When Above Speed Limit
  • Always (Select)
This is Pic of center screen when WAZE Map selected. Did not have to have a destination set as I did in CarPlay Map.

Although Speed Limit is Small There is a Color Change in Car Speed when Exceeding The Limit. Very Helpful and Can See With a Quick Glance!
Old 05-01-2024, 06:08 PM
BandDirector
Drifting

Received 810 Likes on 419 Posts

Yes. That’s what I do to get it to show on my infotainment screen, but by doing that it ALSO shows on my dash just to the upper right of the tach. Is it showing there yet with your settings? Yes, mine is a ‘24 Stingray.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:19 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^
So far not on Dash. It was there when I still had the OnStar trail. There in some drive modes, HUD in others.

But it appears to change. On the way into town It was only showing over the limit. Was in waiting room for 1/2 hour and found the phone sequence I show, and it works. Perhaps there is another setting I'm missing!
Old 05-01-2024, 07:14 PM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

I looked in the glove box and the center console, there is no SD Card …. these cars are packed full of mysteries. After two weeks, my auto seat adjustment started working when I start the car. I don’t know why it started working, maybe it was the fourth programming attempt that worked.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:01 AM
123vette456
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

2024 without any paid add on subscriptions.
Running android auto with Waze for navigation. Speed always shows in HUD etc. If it doesn't I go to google maps and start it. Do not sign up for the service. Close google maps and speed is there again. Do not know if it is picking up from Waze or Maps. All I know is I always have speed on HUD except on freeway on ramps.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:35 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^
Mine did that for a while. Not sure if when free OnStar Trial or recall Google doesn't start with message you will see at some point: "To use this service you'll need a plan etc."

Or perhaps Android phone handles different than iPhone.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:57 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,885 Likes on 2,301 Posts

I looked in the glove box and the center console, there is no SD Card …. these cars are packed full of mysteries. After two weeks, my auto seat adjustment started working when I start the car. I don’t know why it started working, maybe it was the fourth programming attempt that worked.
If you have a 2023 model, then you have an SD card with the map, and it is in the center console. Open the storage door on the console - it is toward the rear of the car in that space. There is also a USB connector there. Its not that easy to see but it is there in 2023 models.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:59 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^
Yep the GM world change in 2024!

Not any different than others! I have the last CD available for my website software, Dreamweaver. Want that today pay Adobe a fat annual fee as it's combined with their PDF and other "stuff" I don't need.

Same with QuickBooks. I use mainly for Invoicing and keeping track of receivables. Now the disk I had from back when, won't work, need annual fee. When I need a new main computer will use workaround I developed on Excel and formatted Invoicing Doc available free!

Heck I still pay my cable provider a lot each month when both daughters have switched to alternate approaches. They pay less BUT still monthly.

Per my post #45, it's not just GM. BMW in Europe is charging a service fee for a package that includes heated seats. And Mary says they see it as an "opportunity" to provide services (read collect money) from the 2nd and 3rd owners. Can see a month after purchase of a used Vette getting a nicely worded text saying, "You're getting low on gas, if you want to fill up purchase the XXX service package and the gas cover will unlock!"

Last edited by JerryU; 05-02-2024 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:09 AM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

You are correct there are three slots, but now you have peaked my curiosity. I will go back and take a few pictures. Thanks
Old 05-02-2024, 12:21 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,885 Likes on 2,301 Posts

You are correct there are three slots, but now you have peaked my curiosity. I will go back and take a few pictures. Thanks
It looks like it is mashed up inside of a slot. But its normal. Its hard to push in to release, but again normal.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:26 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,261 Likes on 3,436 Posts

I'm curious, did they leave the SD card slot it the 2024's and repurpose it as a standard SD reader (like the earlier 1LTs) or did they remove it completely?
Old 05-02-2024, 04:26 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,017 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by smithers
I have a 2024.. had it over 6 months. So any sort of trial of anything should be long gone.

The speed limit icon on the HUD and dash just doesn't seem to display consistently. I messed with all the settings, and I'm aware some drive mode just don't display it. It'll work on some days and not others. I haven't been able to figure out any pattern to it. It either works for the entirety of the drive I'm on, or it doesn't. The "only displays when you are speeding" theory definitely isn't the case.

These cars really just seem to have some buggy software.
Same for me. 2024 Z06 delivered mid-October 2023 with 4800 miles. I drove myself nuts trying to figure out why it wasn't displayed at first. It then appeared then disappeared. I believe I read in the manual that said its using the road speed limit stored on the internal navigation database which I believe is Google based.

Get notified of new replies

To 2024 Getting Road Speed to Display

Old 05-02-2024, 04:49 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm curious, did they leave the SD card slot it the 2024's and repurpose it as a standard SD reader (like the earlier 1LTs) or did they remove it completely?
No SD card slot!
The following users liked this post:
RKCRLR (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 04:52 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RussM05
Same for me. 2024 Z06 delivered mid-October 2023 with 4800 miles. I drove myself nuts trying to figure out why it wasn't displayed at first. It then appeared then disappeared. I believe I read in the manual that said its using the road speed limit stored on the internal navigation database which I believe is Google based.
what I recall is you get one local google Map. You have to pay to get full google. When press anything the resembles or works with google say via the Car Syci get the message to use this service you need to have a plan or some such words
Old 05-02-2024, 05:17 PM
CorvetteSparky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
Via Android Auto or CarPlay. Waze is running on the phone and broadcasting to the infotainment screen, not running on the car.
But what do I have to do to get it to display? I have Waze and Android Auto but all I can get to display in the car is Skynet... I mean Google. My phone says Waze is running and to reference the screen in my car but I don't know what it takes to get Waze on the screen. When I select the Android Auto icon on the car's screen I get Google maps. So I guess what I'm asking is, how do you kill the F'in Google machine?!?

Quick Reply: 2024 Getting Road Speed to Display