Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yay, I get to experience insurance claims and parts supply!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 02:18 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,201 Posts

Default Loaner Heaven

With our C7 in the body shop, USAA sent us to Enterprise for the loan car. Guy at the E counter says what do you want? Two Kia Souls parked out front, we took the white one. It was a fun little car. And no, not that much fun.
Old 06-18-2024, 02:20 PM
mortelec
Pro

Received 566 Likes on 255 Posts

I'm not aware of anyone aftermarket making stock collision replacement parts for the C8. The only aftermarket body parts I've seen are carbon fiber or modified bumpers.
Old 06-18-2024, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 514 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
After over 40 years with USAA for auto, homeowner and umbrella coverage I left them about 3 years ago. They have suffered gargantuan losses in recent years due to larg numbers of claims in Florida, Callifornia and Texas
This is nothing new. All insurance have had an increase in clams. Along with prices.
The following users liked this post:
Fast Dawg (06-19-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 02:33 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,677 Likes on 1,663 Posts

I have been a USAA member for 56 years now. I recently switched my homeowners insurance to USAA since they recently started writing in my area again. Saving myself over $1200 over staying with my pervious insurer. In Dec of '22 I was involved in a collision in the AMG where I was judged to be the at fault driver. USAA covered all the repairs to my car, using all new MB parts - no push back at all. I also got accident forgiveness for my driving record. I check each year to see if I can beat USAA and it never happens.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:24 PM
Joe C5 C2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 98 Posts

Who is your insurance carrier? You are not required to use the At Fault drivers insurance company so you may want to engage your company and have a better result. I suggest this having spent my entire carer in the insurance brokerage business and even if you have to initially front your deductible (many companies wave that requirement when the other company takes responsibility) they will get it back from USAA. I had my C7 totaled by an another driver last October and no way was I going to use Allstate from the other driver, to many horror stories about them while I was still working. Went to my company and had a check for the total amount in less than a week at a favorable adjustment.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe C5 C2:
craig1952 (06-19-2024), David.L (06-19-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 04:48 PM
fireicyhott
Instructor

Received 136 Likes on 53 Posts

Man that sucks, good luck!

I have had USAA 35 years or so. Their premiums are not the best around and I think their service has deteriorated over the years. I dropped my homeowners with them after 33 years as they were WAY out of line. When I called them to cancel after 33 years they said okay thanks for letting us know!

Whatever happened to retention?

Anyway, only reason our auto is still with them is we have alot of motorcycles with them which they are reasonable on and sometimes it's harder to insure bikes.

Good luck!
Old 06-18-2024, 05:42 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
My insurance provider isn't involved. If the accident was my fault, yeah, I'd have to work that issue. But not in this case. I'm hoping litigation isn't necessary; as my body shop manager told me: "it's just the process, Mike; just breathe and be patient."
A drunk driver damaged my passenger's side of my C-6 and I immediately notified my State Farm Agent and they let me pick my repair shop and paid for the repairs to my car. I think the drunk driver had insurance with Progressive and State Farm sued Progressive and got their money back including legal fees.
Old 06-18-2024, 06:07 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 631 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Red C8 of Jax
A drunk driver damaged my passenger's side of my C-6 and I immediately notified my State Farm Agent and they let me pick my repair shop and paid for the repairs to my car. I think the drunk driver had insurance with Progressive and State Farm sued Progressive and got their money back including legal fees.
How much did your rates go up? Someone has to pay Mahomes for his millions of commercials!
Old 06-18-2024, 06:24 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
How much did your rates go up? Someone has to pay Mahomes for his millions of commercials!
State Farm got their money back from Progressive. My rates did not go up!
Old 06-18-2024, 07:30 PM
bernisse
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

I see a lot of USAA bashing but my experience has been different. I have had their auto insurance for 40 years. Last year my R8 got a failed ball joint from a pot hole and I filed the insurance claim. It was repaired at an Audi dealership (big mistake) with genuine parts. Total bill was $13200 and all I paid was my deductible, no questions or hassles. I have had several claims over the years and never an issue. My new C8 needed a new windshield at 800 miles and they instantly said it would be OEM glass. My experience has genuinely always been good. I have my boat and motorcycle with Progressive which is always good too, but that is because USAA uses Progressive for those things and does not insure them directly (at least in my area). I can certainly see why they would try to go as cheaply as possible for someone else that was damaged by an insured member, it is a business and you are not their customer, so they want to get out of it with minimal expense. Your insurance should be negotiating with USAA and not you, I would hand this over to your own insurance and let them get the money from USAA and you should get it fixed to your satisfaction based on what your policy covers, not the policy of the negligent party. I will say for a 4 year old car it would not be unusual to use non-OEM parts without a bit of a battle from you so that kind of is how the game is played.
JimB. (06-19-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 07:42 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

My sister's RX Lexus rear door was dented in by an F-150. GEICO said the same thing that they would not use OEM parts to fix it. I immediately took my C8 off of my GEICO policy and got
insurance through the Corvette Museum. 6,000 mile limit and $850 a year less. S$ew GEICO!
Old 06-18-2024, 07:42 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,504 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Oh, trust me, my insurance carrier isn't USAA!

Since the accident was on a residential road and not impeding traffic, I decided to give them a call. We had to wait about 5 minutes (less than 10 for sure) for them to show up. They got the report written up, took our statements, and issued the other driver a ticket for an improper left turn. USAA has accepted full responsibility for the accident, but I'm glad to have a full report.
My experience with autoclaims (in a no fault state anyway) is that if you mention that you are using an attorney, your own insurance carrier won't do ANYTHING with the claim/accident, whatsoever. You will have to resolve it all via your attorney and the at fault driver.
If you work with your own insurance company first though, you can take your car and get it properly repaired with OEM parts and labor and then your insurance company works it out with the other party insurance company.

I have had 4 close calls in the last 3 days. People have lost their damned minds. Two of them where obviously teenagers that have learned that stop signs mean NOTHING to them.
Another was an adult male dicking with his phone, ran me off the road. No damage, but super pissed.

The unfortunate thing about taking your C8 out on the road is you are going to come into close proximity with the lower half of the bell curve.
Best part is, they are also very often uninsured drivers.
The following 3 users liked this post by dohabandit:
David.L (06-19-2024), JimB. (06-19-2024), Red C8 of Jax (06-19-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 07:45 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,504 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by fireicyhott
Man that sucks, good luck!

I have had USAA 35 years or so. Their premiums are not the best around and I think their service has deteriorated over the years. I dropped my homeowners with them after 33 years as they were WAY out of line. When I called them to cancel after 33 years they said okay thanks for letting us know!

Whatever happened to retention?

Anyway, only reason our auto is still with them is we have alot of motorcycles with them which they are reasonable on and sometimes it's harder to insure bikes.

Good luck!
Depending on where you are located, USAA has been trying to drop a lot of people on their homeowners policies in high risk areas. Only reason they didn't just drop you outright was because you were probably grandfathered in.
Old 06-18-2024, 11:30 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,976 Likes on 14,395 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

OP - sorry to see the damage to your car. Best of luck in dealing with the insurance company and in getting a quality repair job.
VetteDrmr (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 12:22 AM
David.L
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 118 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I too have been using USAA for 30+ years and never had any issues. A few years ago, my new Audi was hit from behind while I stopped at a red light. The person who hit me was clearly at fault and was issued several motor vehicle summons. I processed my claim through my own insurance (USAA) and they in turn went after the drivers insurance. I had the Audi dealer fix the car with OEM parts and the other driver's insurance paid the entire bill. My rates didn't increase as it was the other driver's fault. I had a very positive experience with USAA with that accident and a few others in the past.
The following 2 users liked this post by David.L:
johnodrake (06-20-2024), syoungbe (06-20-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 07:35 AM
Stingray864
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 114 Posts

If you can wait a couple of month (august) I will have undamaged (artic white) front clip, left/right front fenders, left/right rear quarters and rear panel for sale. I'm installing the Liberty walk wide body and its a complete replacement for the body panels
Old 06-19-2024, 08:25 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,467 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray864
If you can wait a couple of month (august) I will have undamaged (artic white) front clip, left/right front fenders, left/right rear quarters and rear panel for sale. I'm installing the Liberty walk wide body and its a complete replacement for the body panels
Thanks, but the shop already has everything they need in transit, excepting the front bumper cover, which is scheduled to be shipped July 8th or sooner.

As far as the USAA-bashing goes, I'm not trying to "bash" anyone, just letting everyone know about the experiences I'm having.

Have a good one,
Mike
The following 2 users liked this post by VetteDrmr:
Mr. Black (06-19-2024), sowega (06-19-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Yay, I get to experience insurance claims and parts supply!

Old 06-19-2024, 07:55 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,658 Posts

USAA SUCKS on claims. I had to deal with them on a claim from an accident that wasn't my fault in 2022 for my 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. The person who pulled in front of me - running a light - was insured by USAA. I called them the day of the accident to file a claim and got to speak to a live person. After that they would only discuss anything via email and they often would not respond at all. The person I hit got two tickets for running the light.

I would get your insurance company involved, Let them fight with USAA. My first battle was the replacement parts. USAA used an outsourced estimator from Chicago to write up the damage estimate. They were 800 miles away. Nobody from USAA ever came to look at my truck and they used all aftermarket parts. I had to get the Service Manager from my dealer to tell them my factory warranty would be voided on any aftermarket parts that were installed. The battle went on for eight days before the shop could finally start working on my truck. They found other damage once they started taking it apart and in all the repair took almost a month.

If you plan to file a diminished value claim your insurance will cut you the best check and go after USAA to get their money back. You don't need to contact a lawyer. Your insurance agent should be willing to do this for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fast Dawg:
Mr. Black (06-19-2024), Zormecteon (06-20-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 08:28 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,357 Likes on 2,011 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Damn, Drmr this sucks.

Unfortunately it happens everyday. Just be thankful they had insurance even if it is USAA lol. Poke poke.

The amount of uninsured motorists is going to go up by a staggering amount in the coming years.

Also, I'm no C8 expert but I'd be shocked if there were really aftermarket or offshore C8 replacement body panels and inner structure parts already.

That is a pretty small market for anyone to gear up for.
VetteDrmr (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 09:09 PM
SMOKN C8
Melting Slicks

Received 2,116 Likes on 922 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 5632
How many claims have you made with them?
A few over the years (mostly from when my kids were on my policy) and never had an issue, never had to haggle, they just took care of everything with little to no effort on my end. This is both auto and home.

My adult daughters still carry USAA and both recently (last 45 days) had auto claims and both had the same experience as I have come to expect from USAA over my 35+ years with them. Open the claim, answer a few questions, get a check (total loss) or wait for the repairs to be done (front end collision). Are they cheap, nope not at all. But having good coverages and knowing I will not be jerked around, are worth some $$ to me. I have looked at the market and I just cannot bail on them....“Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t” comes to mind every time....

Quick Reply: Yay, I get to experience insurance claims and parts supply!