Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Another Delay? Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 12:54 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,104 Likes on 2,004 Posts

Some of you guys should also take your head out of the sand and look at the daily production thread. GM is still struggling some weeks to build even close to the number of cars they need to hit 40K a year. Some weeks it's almost half what was anticipated. I guess some of you may not know this but we are still in the middle of a pandemic and there are logistical challenges happening for nearly every industry. If you have not heard there are still people who have been waiting over 18 months for their base model C8, and they still don't have a delivery date yet. It's a mess.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:56 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,251 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Its quite obvious many people posting here do not understand these simple fundamentals.
Indeed. It's kind of funny...in a sad way.

Is it C8 Stingray owners wanting to stay the "Big dog" for as long as they can?

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-26-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:57 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 3,763 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
The previous posts (not all you) advocated that GM has already sunk the costs into the Z06 production and that they would release it sooner to make more money. The video that everyone is trashing (that I mostly agree with) says he thinks the Z06 will be released in 2022 (later in the year) but that most people would not get their Z06 allocation (if you are on the list now) until 2023.

The C7 was released as a 2014 model year car and the Z06 was released as a 2015 MY car. If I am tracking what people are saying the C8 Z06 should be no different. I doubt the Z06 will be a 2021 MY car and we don't know when GM will shift to 2022 MY Corvettes (it might get delayed like the 2021 did) so when are you predicting the Z06 will start shipping? If not this year then when? And how is that so far off what the guy in the video is saying then?
My guess, and it's ONLY a guess, is that it will be released for MY 22 and begin shipping 4Q21 or 1Q22. I do NOT think GM will intentionally delay the release just because sales of the base car are backlogged for all the reasons I have already stated.
The following users liked this post:
jimmyb (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 01:13 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by donkeyssuck
You're pretty funny. If the government passes a law that the gas tax will go up $1 per year for the next 10 years, just for example, so don't stroke out on me here, the auto makers would be incented to stop ICE R&D and put everything into electric vehicles as it would be obvious that new buyers would be flocking to electric over ICE. Just the THREAT of fuel prices spiking in the near future would be enough to force the manufactures to abandon ICE vehicles. You do understand that the government uses taxes as a method to control corporate behavior, right? And they don't have to go as far as "collapsing our economy" to do it. Are you a drama teacher?
We are year 2 into the C8. The C7 had a 6 year run. Most cars have a 5-7 year model run at most. If what you are proposing is true (gas prices going up $1 a year over 10 years), then it would have little bearing on C8 Z06 buyers because in 3-4 more years GM will shift to C9 production which would most likely be full EV anyway.

But as a realist (I happen to own an EV, do you?) the infrastructure is not there to support the majority of Americans to switch to EV. Just the cost to add a Level2 charger (which is pretty much mandatory) for me is $1400 alone. That is assuming you own your own house and have the ability to run a 50amp circuit somewhere. What about the millions of Americans who live in an apartment or rent and cannot do this? The grid can't support such a huge switch to EV. EV is not going to be cheap enough or practical enough to move off ICE engines within the next 5-10 years. It's not realistic.

Last edited by thill444; 01-26-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:14 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2021ELB
First off "net GM $200 million" is absurd as the Z06 will actually cost GM more money to produce than the base C8. Additionally, I'm not surprised by the delay as I mentioned this before in another post. With demand where it is, they could easily delay the Z06 to 2023 or possibly 2024. How much money do you think it costs to design, test and produce an all new model? As long as GM continues to sell more than they can produce, delaying the next variant makes sense. They could milk this C8 platform for 10 years+ without the added cost of changing to a brand new C9 in 6-8 years.
This is unreal...no one knows what "revenue" means...

I make 10 widgets and sell them for $2/each. My REVENUE is $20
Each widget cost me $1 to make. My PROFIT is $10 ($20 REVENUE - $10 COST = $10 PROFIT)
Now, I decide to make "Super Widgets" in addition to "widgets" (even though the "widgets" are selling just fine) The super widgets sell for $4. But I am only able to produce 10 total widgets. So, I decide to make 5 Super Widget and 5 Widgets. My revenue is now $30 (5 x $4 + 5 x $2 = $30)
The "Super Widget costs me $2/unit to make (5 x $2 = $10) and the Widget costs me $1/unit to make (5 x $1 =$5) so now my PROFIT is $15 ($30 REVENUE - $15 COST = $15 PROFIT)

You guys should quit while you're behind

PS. The C8 Z06 will NOT be an "all new model", anymore than the C7 Z06 was. The "all new model" is here now...the C8 Stingray.

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-26-2021 at 01:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jimmyb:
sainthoo (01-26-2021), Stingray Sam (01-27-2021), Sub Driver (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 01:15 PM
NewC8Today
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it makes you wonder why am I so excited to get my new 2021 C8 and the Z06 is coming out in a few years, am I going to feel bad I don't have 800hp (or whatever it is)?
Old 01-26-2021, 01:17 PM
traind
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 159 Posts

Some people are saying GM is 12-18 months behind the demand curve. However, I am seeing C8 advertising pretty frequently right now on the web.... so my guess is they are not as sold out as some think in this thread.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:23 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Racer X
Strange that is not what happened at my dealer when the convertible came out. I was originally number 19 on the list at my dealer. When the convertible was announced, I switched to the convertible. It didn't change my position immediately. There were others in front of me that also switched. The dealer got what allocations they got each month. If someone wanted a convertible and they didn't have a convertible allocation, a coupe moved up. Just like would happen with any other constraint. If I would have accepted a coupe I would have gotten my car earlier. So in my dealer's case, the convertible coming out actually moved some coupe buyers up the list.

Why do you keep ignoring what actually occurred with the convertible? They have already done this exact same thing. No disaster occurred as a result. The Z06 will come out when they are ready to produce it. If they planned for it to come out in 2022 model year, and it is ready for production, then that is when it will come out. You can't just call up a manufacturer that already has a full production schedule and say I need you to ship me 300 turbo's a week starting next week, when he had you scheduled for 8 months from now. It just doesn't work that way in modern "just-in-time" manufacturing. Manufacturing lead time is a real thing.
I guess ask MacMulin or another large dealer. They have the list of people waiting to order a base C8 and the waiting list of people who want a C8 Z06. Last I talked to them the Z06 list is something like 300-400 long and I was told if you get on the list now you will likely be waiting a year after they start shipping. Some of these people have been on the Z06 wait list for over a year now.

So if hundreds of even thousands of people with C8 allocations already with a dealer all switched to Z06 I suspect that would cause some big headaches for the dealers as you are getting bumped to the front of the Z06 line which could push the first 100-200 people back a full year. It would be a big issue I suspect.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:25 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Thinking the same thing. Technology gets old fast, and emissions regs are only getting more stringent...And GM has every incentive to release higher margin product, like the new Z and ZR1 as quickly as possible. I would therefore be shocked if the new Z is not released for sale in the '22 model year.
Exactly. People thinking the C8 Z06 won't come out until 2024 just do NOT understand business...AT ALL.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
traind (01-27-2021), vettesweetnos (01-27-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 01:29 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by traind
Some people are saying GM is 12-18 months behind the demand curve. However, I am seeing C8 advertising pretty frequently right now on the web.... so my guess is they are not as sold out as some think in this thread.
"Some people" said there were WMD's in Iraq...

I find that "some people" seldom know what they are talking about.
Rock0720 (01-26-2021), Z06M3 (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 01:32 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Exactly. People thinking the C8 Z06 won't come out until 2024 just do NOT understand business...AT ALL.
I am not sure who is saying 2024. The video said end of 2022 but that MOST people who are are on the wait list would probably get a car in 2023. I think it's possible the Z06 could start shipping before end of 2022, but I think many Z06 buyers are still looking at 2023 to get one. Again, we have lots of C8 owners who have waited 12 and even 18 months that still don't have a deliver date. These are people that placed orders in 2019.

If you call MacMulin right now they would likely tell you that if you get on the list now you are likely one year out from getting a car once they start shipping.

If you don't have a name on your list already the only way you get a Z06 at this point within the first year is if you pay ADM or buy a used one.

Last edited by thill444; 01-26-2021 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:39 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

I am not sure who is saying 2024. The video said end of 2022 but that MOST people who are are on the wait list would probably get a car in 2023. I think it's possible the Z06 could start shipping before end of 2022, but I think many Z06 buyers are still looking at 2023 to get one. Again, we have lots of C8 owners who have waited 12 and even 18 months that still don't have a deliver date. These are people that placed orders in 2019.

If you call MacMulin right now they would likely tell you that if you get on the list now you are likely one year out from getting a car once they start shipping.

If you don't have a name on your list already the only way you get a Z06 at this point within the first year is if you pay ADM or buy a used one.
Post #36 for 2024 (the guy that doesn't know the difference between revenue/profit/cost)
The video guy has NO facts, just opinion. I disagree with his opinion (and yours). I think the Z06 will be shown this summer, with production beginning late 4th quarter 2021 or 1st quarter 2022, as a 2022 model year car.

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-26-2021 at 01:39 PM.
mb1 (01-27-2021), vettesweetnos (01-27-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 01:46 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,261 Posts

Originally Posted by NewC8Today
it makes you wonder why am I so excited to get my new 2021 C8 and the Z06 is coming out in a few years, am I going to feel bad I don't have 800hp (or whatever it is)?
C8z should be about 625hp NA. So don't worry, you won't have anywhere near 800hp in a stock c8z lol
Old 01-26-2021, 03:24 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,411 Likes on 2,087 Posts

I guess ask MacMulin or another large dealer. They have the list of people waiting to order a base C8 and the waiting list of people who want a C8 Z06. Last I talked to them the Z06 list is something like 300-400 long and I was told if you get on the list now you will likely be waiting a year after they start shipping. Some of these people have been on the Z06 wait list for over a year now.

So if hundreds of even thousands of people with C8 allocations already with a dealer all switched to Z06 I suspect that would cause some big headaches for the dealers as you are getting bumped to the front of the Z06 line which could push the first 100-200 people back a full year. It would be a big issue I suspect.
Again, we already had this happen with the convertible, thousands converted their orders. Dealers already had full order lists. No disaster happened. There is zero difference. And as I said, several coupe orders moved up at my dealer due to conversion of coupe orders to convertibles. The world did not end and GM made more revenue on the Corvette as a result. As did the dealers. No dealers sold less cars. GM did not sell less cars, there was no lost revenue.

Why do you keep ignoring this precedent? We have seen exactly what happens. Why are you ignoring the reality of what has already occurred?
Old 01-26-2021, 03:46 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

We are year 2 into the C8. The C7 had a 6 year run. Most cars have a 5-7 year model run at most. If what you are proposing is true (gas prices going up $1 a year over 10 years), then it would have little bearing on C8 Z06 buyers because in 3-4 more years GM will shift to C9 production which would most likely be full EV anyway.

But as a realist (I happen to own an EV, do you?) the infrastructure is not there to support the majority of Americans to switch to EV. Just the cost to add a Level2 charger (which is pretty much mandatory) for me is $1400 alone. That is assuming you own your own house and have the ability to run a 50amp circuit somewhere. What about the millions of Americans who live in an apartment or rent and cannot do this? The grid can't support such a huge switch to EV. EV is not going to be cheap enough or practical enough to move off ICE engines within the next 5-10 years. It's not realistic.
For the last time, I'm not proposing anything. It was an example of how government tax policy can and does drive corporate decisions. It is a CONCEPT and you keep arguing details. My point all along was that the auto makers had a small window of time left to manufacture and sell ICE vehicles, and because of this GM will NOT push out the introduction of more expensive and profitable Corvette variants You have been spending all your time arguing this point, then you turn around and state that GM will switch to C9 production in only 3 or 4 more years. So just when is GM going to release these other more profitable variants if they hold back the new Z for 2 or 3 more years? As I said, you are in way over your head on this subject, and you spend all your time replying to silly straw man arguments that you have created in your head. I'm not even sure if you have a real opinion on this or you're just bored, but now I'm totally bored. Have a great day!
Old 01-26-2021, 03:52 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Racer X
Again, we already had this happen with the convertible, thousands converted their orders. Dealers already had full order lists. No disaster happened. There is zero difference. And as I said, several coupe orders moved up at my dealer due to conversion of coupe orders to convertibles. The world did not end and GM made more revenue on the Corvette as a result. As did the dealers. No dealers sold less cars. GM did not sell less cars, there was no lost revenue.

Why do you keep ignoring this precedent? We have seen exactly what happens. Why are you ignoring the reality of what has already occurred?
I've given up on him. He is attempting to analyze a complex issue having multiple variables by focusing on just one single data point.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:03 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

For the last time, I'm not proposing anything. It was an example of how government tax policy can and does drive corporate decisions. It is a CONCEPT and you keep arguing details. My point all along was that the auto makers had a small window of time left to manufacture and sell ICE vehicles, and because of this GM will NOT push out the introduction of more expensive and profitable Corvette variants You have been spending all your time arguing this point, then you turn around and state that GM will switch to C9 production in only 3 or 4 more years. So just when is GM going to release these other more profitable variants if they hold back the new Z for 2 or 3 more years? As I said, you are in way over your head on this subject, and you spend all your time replying to silly straw man arguments that you have created in your head. I'm not even sure if you have a real opinion on this or you're just bored, but now I'm totally bored. Have a great day!
And your totally ignoring a strike, pandemic, and parts shortages. You do understand that GM is still not able to produce C8's to the levels they need on a consistent basis right? Go look in the daily production threads. There are days and weeks where they are producing way less than anticipated. You also seem to ignore that some people have been waiting 18 months for their C8 and still don't have a delivery date. But somehow magically GM will start cranking out Z06's in the next 6-9 months because the window to sell an ICE engine is somehow closing??

Again it's not a demand issue. It's a production issue. And it's affecting their parts suppliers too. Things that completely are out of GM's control.

Last edited by thill444; 01-26-2021 at 05:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Delay? Z06

Old 01-26-2021, 05:05 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Hey, why even bother with the Z06? If it is all about net profit go straight to the ZR1/Zora model and charge $180-250K. They would sell every single one and can produce a smaller amount of cars.
The following users liked this post:
Trustym (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 05:29 PM
foreignbishop
Pro

Received 701 Likes on 311 Posts

Massive ADM. Most lists are 2-3 years out now.

Last edited by foreignbishop; 01-26-2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:34 PM
foreignbishop
Pro

Received 701 Likes on 311 Posts

Not True.................................... ..... BASE/Z51/HTC are all one model and one allocation. Z06 is a different model and different allocation. Both comprise the dealers total allocation. A different model/allocation means a different list entirely. In other words, you go the back, not the front.
The following 2 users liked this post by foreignbishop:
Trustym (01-26-2021), vettesweetnos (01-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Another Delay? Z06