Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

C8 Z06 Second Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 10:31 AM
swmccarthy
Advanced

Received 178 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
1. From your other thread… who mounted your new tires?

2.Who aligned the car?

3. The OEM hoses are very good, SS really aren’t needed. Minimal change in pedal feel often from smaller orifice.

4. Is the burnish process something you can do on a back road?

5. The factory fluid is DOT4. It is high temp. It’s not race fluid, but it’s suitable for the average trackday. They recommend race fluid because lawyers.
1. I bought the tires and had them mounted at Discount Tires. I did not know this until I was in the shop, but Discount Tires acquired Tire Rack, so you can shop on Tire Rack and either buy there for shipping and mounting at a local Discount Tire store, or ship to your preferred tech. For what it's worth, the Discount Tire store near me is absolutely amazing. The shop is clean, the service is professional and courteous, they were fast (about 75 minutes) and did not scratch any wheels.

2. I had my tech at the local GM dealer align the car when I took it in for the initial service. I could have had it done at elsewhere (Discount Tire would have been my next choice), but this is a new model and I worried about getting it right. As it turned out, even the tech at the GM dealer had to have someone set up their alignment machine for this car. Secondly, I am fundamentally lazy and figured I would get service and alignment done during one visit.

3. On my last two Corvettes, the brakes faded badly until I replaced the lines. I was good for 8 or 9 laps before I started losing feel. I guess I will keep the OEM hoses for the first few days on track just to see how they do, but if history is a guide I will be replacing them at some point. It might have to do with where I live. Ambient temperature on the West Coast can be pretty high in the summer. I saw 114 degrees at Button Willow one day.

4. The burnish process is something you can absolutely do on a back road, which is what I usually do. I think it would be pretty hard to do on track unless you have the track to yourself. This is my first car with carbon ceramic brakes so I did not know what to expect. They dissipate heat pretty fast, so getting them hot enough takes a little more time and patience.

5. I honestly have had no luck with factory brake fluid. I always switch to HP or RBF 600/660. As with the lines, it may have something to do with where I live or my lack of driving ability. After reference points, braking is what I work on most. All that said, all previous track experience is with C6 and C7 cars (aside from racing sport bikes). Also, I should emphasize I am really not a good driver. I am very hard on brakes and tires. I go through a LOT of pads and rotors, and have broken a rotor before (Thunder Hill, Turn 9), so it really could just be my lack of ability that is the problem. Most guys I see in the paddock struggle with heat build up in their brakes, so I don't think its all me (but likely mostly me!). Maybe the C8 Z06 comes track ready. Either way, I will soon find out and let you know what I learn.
The following 3 users liked this post by swmccarthy:
JerriVette (12-02-2022), SwanSongZ (12-01-2022), Torque Obsessed (12-03-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 11:21 AM
swmccarthy
Advanced

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Awersome! Car looks stunning.

Only question I have is how did you get yours so soon? Lol, I got on the wait list for mine 2 years ago now. Or do you mean you've been on the wait list for years and actually placed the order with the dealer in August?
Thanks! As to how I got the car so soon, all I will say is I am a very, very lucky person, and was in the right place at the right time. Like everyone else lucky enough to place an order, I had to wait for the books to open.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:28 AM
swmccarthy
Advanced

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Congrats! Your car is absolutely stunning!
Thanks!

Here's another pic taken at Mt Charleston, Nevada

The following 17 users liked this post by swmccarthy:
23/C8Z (12-01-2022), CliffB-99 (12-01-2022), Electron Mike (12-01-2022), Flh Den (12-09-2022), indebt (12-02-2022), JABCAT (12-01-2022), JerriVette (12-02-2022), JockItch (12-01-2022), LukeyW (12-01-2022), mattya9 (12-07-2022), MDawg (12-01-2022), RedLS6 (12-01-2022), shipahoy (12-07-2022), Sin City (12-01-2022), Synergy- (12-03-2022), Torque Obsessed (12-03-2022), Zerofun (12-01-2022) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-01-2022, 11:29 AM
swmccarthy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jridden
Congrats! Beautiful. Enjoy! Thanks for the real world info.
Thanks!
Old 12-01-2022, 11:39 AM
swmccarthy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sin City
If you get a Ferrari it comes with about 50 to 70 miles on the clock. Part of it is -- getting the CCB's broken in. I found them "sketchy" until warmed up. The first couple of stops you need to apply more pressure than you would think or like to.

Excellent write up BTW. I got 1000 times more info than any stupid Youtuber.
Thanks. I really like this forum, partly because it feels like only real enthusiast post here, and feel free to do so without judgment. I figure most of what we post is experience based, which is inherently personal to the poster. We could drive the same car, on the same day on the same road and have very different impressions. Some of the Youtubers are so frustrating. When the C8 first came out, there was a Youtuber complaining because the steering wheel put your hands in the "wrong position", 3 and 9 verses 10 and 2. Then there are the folks that try to make you think they are slinging the car through corners, and you cannot even hear the tires, let alone see the car tracking-out. One of my favorites was a Youtuber (who I will not name) saying they could not get the back tires to break loose. I have no words. I am doing 180's at 4,000 rpms, and spinning them up in first and second gear (because I can). To be sure, this car has way more grip than my last front engine car with 295s, and low-end torque is very different than a push rod motor, but still spinning up the rear tires is no challenge at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by swmccarthy:
Sin City (12-01-2022), SwanSongZ (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 11:41 AM
swmccarthy
Advanced

Originally Posted by MDawg
Thanks for the write up. That "86 person" must be 86 on a list, not VIN 86. VIN 86 should have been delivered weeks ago. They have produced 166 non-anniversary Z06s at this point.
That makes a lot of sense. My VIN is 52. I have no idea where I was on the list.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:53 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,410 Likes on 6,106 Posts

Originally Posted by swmccarthy
1. I bought the tires and had them mounted at Discount Tires. I did not know this until I was in the shop, but Discount Tires acquired Tire Rack, so you can shop on Tire Rack and either buy there for shipping and mounting at a local Discount Tire store, or ship to your preferred tech. For what it's worth, the Discount Tire store near me is absolutely amazing. The shop is clean, the service is professional and courteous, they were fast (about 75 minutes) and did not scratch any wheels.

2. I had my tech at the local GM dealer align the car when I took it in for the initial service. I could have had it done at elsewhere (Discount Tire would have been my next choice), but this is a new model and I worried about getting it right. As it turned out, even the tech at the GM dealer had to have someone set up their alignment machine for this car. Secondly, I am fundamentally lazy and figured I would get service and alignment done during one visit.

3. On my last two Corvettes, the brakes faded badly until I replaced the lines. I was good for 8 or 9 laps before I started losing feel. I guess I will keep the OEM hoses for the first few days on track just to see how they do, but if history is a guide I will be replacing them at some point. It might have to do with where I live. Ambient temperature on the West Coast can be pretty high in the summer. I saw 114 degrees at Button Willow one day.

4. The burnish process is something you can absolutely do on a back road, which is what I usually do. I think it would be pretty hard to do on track unless you have the track to yourself. This is my first car with carbon ceramic brakes so I did not know what to expect. They dissipate heat pretty fast, so getting them hot enough takes a little more time and patience.

5. I honestly have had no luck with factory brake fluid. I always switch to HP or RBF 600/660. As with the lines, it may have something to do with where I live or my lack of driving ability. After reference points, braking is what I work on most. All that said, all previous track experience is with C6 and C7 cars (aside from racing sport bikes). Also, I should emphasize I am really not a good driver. I am very hard on brakes and tires. I go through a LOT of pads and rotors, and have broken a rotor before (Thunder Hill, Turn 9), so it really could just be my lack of ability that is the problem. Most guys I see in the paddock struggle with heat build up in their brakes, so I don't think its all me (but likely mostly me!). Maybe the C8 Z06 comes track ready. Either way, I will soon find out and let you know what I learn.
Been racing for a good bit… brake hoses have nothing to do with brake fade. You’d be surprised how good the factory DOT4 fluid does. I eventually flushed SRF in my Stingray, but had no issues with the factory fluid driving very hard at VIR in the instructor group.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:58 AM
swmccarthy
Advanced

Originally Posted by wthensler
As someone who tracks, I greatly enjoyed your write up and impressions of the car. I’d be a bit careful of dialing out all the understeer as well……you probably know the possibilities there with a mid engine. Mine are different on the 458, but I ended up with compromising between road and track alignment after it stepped out at Road Atlanta (you’ll also get more wear inside with the track setting).

Good move swapping out the Cups and saving them for a nice track day, I have two sets of rims for that purpose.

I also installed stainless steel lines to the calipers (Ferrari didn’t have them as stock either), and it’s better for fade but sets off the ABS under hard brake. And i run Castrol SRF exclusively. If you do a lot of tracking, you’ll appreciate it.

Beautiful car, enjoy to the fullest! Ain’t nothing like a mid engine car on track!
Thanks! The only Ferrari I have driven is a 488GTB, and if its anything like yours, you are one lucky person. I too keep spare wheels for two reasons. One, for my track tires, and two so I don't destroy the OEMs. I do quite a few tire changes every season, and eventually the tire guys end of scratching them. Plus, it only takes one off to tear up your wheels so I keep a set of unpainted wheels ready to roll.

As to understeer, I appreciate the advice. This is my first experience in a mid engine car, and I am taking it kind of slow, learning the car, what works and what doesn't. On past cars I have not driven enough on my street tires to show noticeable where from camber. As to the track tires, well they just do not last that long. As to Castrol SRF I will add that to my list. I have also tried Wilwood EXP and Brembo LCF on other cars but never really felt a difference. I'll try the Castrol though - thanks for the tip.

The following users liked this post:
wthensler (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 12:39 PM
swmccarthy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cubicinches
I also appreciated the write-up. And your car looks gorgeous in the pic. How is the ride and noise (wind, road, tire) when you're just cruising around in "mild" mode? What's your honest opinion of whether the car is worth the money and the cost increase over a C8 Stingray (or C7, in your case)? Does $150-160K+ for a coupe or convertible spec like yours feel appropriate? I can somewhat surmise your response based on your write-up. I figured it's a helpful thing to know since many of the folks on here are upgrading from a C7 or C7 Z06--I'd be upgrading from my C7 Z07.
Great questions!
Tire/road noise: At first, it was awful. Like, really, really loud. Even with the engine in mild setting, it was hard to hear music or phone calls. As noted earlier, I swapped the Cup tires for 4S ZPs and I don't know if that made a difference or I am just getting used to the car, but it seems much quieter now. It could also be the roads I was on. Honestly, I am not sure but my initial impression on tire/road noise was not positive. Coming home from the track last night (Spring Mountain) it seemed fine.

Engine Noise: I do not believe this car will pass sound at Laguna Seca, at least not in beast mode. I don't even want to try. I got black flagged in my C6 Z06 with stock exhaust. This car is significantly louder. I suppose, you could hit Z Mode going into 5 and short shift up the hill, then before 6 hit Z Mode again (the sound booth is between 5 & 6). But man is that painful. Everyone else is pulling you up the hill while you are cruising in 5th gear trying to not trip sound. On the plus side, if your passenger starts singing to your favorite song all you need to do is hit Z Mode and drop a couple of gears and trust me, you will not hear a thing. Problem solved!

Wind: I have he CHT, and I have to say the wind noise is much less than it was on my C7. I rarely drove the C7 with the top off because of wind noise. I drive this car with the top down pretty regularly. Big difference. I think in part because the rear window lowers and allows the wind to flow through as opposed to churning inside the car. Or not.

Cost: This is one of the hardest questions to answer because (I think) each of us has our own circumstances. For me, this is like a once in a life time thing (I have actually said that twice before, but this time I mean it!). I believe driving a car should be an experience, and we should engage and connect with our cars. Literally the only reason I did not get a C8 was I wanted a wide-body. That was it. If GM came out with a wide body in 2020, I would have gotten one. Its purely a cosmetic thing for me. When I got my C7 GM did not have have a wide body, and when I saw one a year later I was kind of sad. I will also say, I absolutely love push rod engines. I don't know why, but I just do. Maybe it's the low end torque, or the growl or both, but I have long loved those engines. Then again, I used to race 4 cylinder sport bikes (club level only) and I loved those engines. Back then my GSXRs really did not come alive until about 9,000 rpm and I just loved those high revving engines. So this car reminds me a bit of that. I guess when it comes down to it, do I like push rod engines or overhead cam engines? Yes. Do I like front engine or mid engine? Yes. Z51 or Z06? Yes.

For me (one of 8 billion people on this planet) it was not so much a cost based decision as one of what I want. I am getting along in years and I do not want to lie in my death bed regretting the things I did not do. So it is really hard for me to say if a Z06 is worth the extra cost over a Z51. I honestly don't have an answer. They are very, very different cars. But I will say, like every car I have ever owned, this car makes me smile and that is what it should do. I will also say if they made a wide body Z51 and I had garage space, I would probably own both.

The following 10 users liked this post by swmccarthy:
23/C8Z (12-01-2022), 2slow2speed (12-01-2022), AustinVetter (12-02-2022), gsxriannew (12-02-2022), JockItch (12-01-2022), MDawg (12-01-2022), PurpleLion (12-01-2022), wthensler (12-01-2022), Zeee0sixx (12-01-2022), Zerofun (12-01-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-01-2022, 12:41 PM
XP882
Advanced

Received 69 Likes on 30 Posts

Your car looks incredible. Question: is the paint quality really as good as it appears in these photos? That Red Mist looks so deep you could drown in it!
Old 12-01-2022, 12:55 PM
swmccarthy
Advanced

Originally Posted by XP882
Your car looks incredible. Question: is the paint quality really as good as it appears in these photos? That Red Mist looks so deep you could drown in it!
Hyperbole aside, pictures do not do it justice. It actually looks better in person. It looks like the paint has metal flake so to me it looks better during the day. I am having Expel clear bra and ceramic coating done on the 13th.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:10 PM
CDNZR
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 264 Posts

Beautiful car. Thanks for sharing your experience. Drive safe. It makes me nervous seeing snow in the background in a high performance car eventhough the snows is not on the road.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:20 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 846 Likes on 497 Posts

Hyperbole aside, pictures do not do it justice. It actually looks better in person. It looks like the paint has metal flake so to me it looks better during the day. I am having Expel clear bra and ceramic coating done on the 13th.
Question Sir.
Are you putting Expel over the ceramic?
I am curious about this as my ceramic shop recommended not to do this but I really would like to.
What are you being told?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2022, 01:23 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 624 Likes on 457 Posts

The writeup was so good, I’ve been patient these 2+1/2 years til now I can’t wait. The way you’re sounding I hope it’s not too much car for me. The C8 I have is peppy. So I imagine with 670 hp I will need to hold on. I probably will keep it out of Z mode lol.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:42 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 964 Likes on 572 Posts

Beautiful car and great writeup! You covered a lot of ground, pretty much everything I would have asked about. I look forward to any future info you have to share. Enjoy the ride!
Old 12-01-2022, 04:32 PM
swmccarthy
Advanced

Originally Posted by CDNZR
Beautiful car. Thanks for sharing your experience. Drive safe. It makes me nervous seeing snow in the background in a high performance car eventhough the snows is not on the road.
Yeah, that looks a little sketchy in the photo but I think that snow is up around 9,000 feet. It was plenty warm down where I was and the roads were bone dry and clear of debris. It is a good point though. I always have a feeling I am driving on cold tires (which I am) so I drive pretty chill up there. Literally 35-45 mph.
Old 12-01-2022, 04:35 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

Are your wheels the satin graphite or the gloss black wheels?

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Z06 Second Impressions

Old 12-01-2022, 04:45 PM
c7gsmike
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

Thanks!

I rented a C8 back in July of 2021 and drove up to Mt Charleston and proposed to my now fiance. Beautiful up in the mountains. I will be driving my C7Z M7 until my number gets called from Ciocca. Going to be a few years till that happens. Anyways, congrats on your amazing new C8Z! Great write up too!
Old 12-01-2022, 06:18 PM
Let It Ride
Melting Slicks

Received 970 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
If you get a Ferrari it comes with about 50 to 70 miles on the clock. Part of it is -- getting the CCB's broken in. I found them "sketchy" until warmed up. The first couple of stops you need to apply more pressure than you would think or like to.

Excellent write up BTW. I got 1000 times more info than any stupid Youtuber.
Thank you me too. But according to this forum GM needs these you tubers, especially Streetspeed " yo dude listen how it sounds in this tunnel". Give me a fkn break!
Old 12-01-2022, 06:52 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,376 Likes on 2,008 Posts

Thanks!

Wow! Stealing this picture for sure

Quick Reply: C8 Z06 Second Impressions