Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

C8 Z06 Second Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 11:17 PM
swmccarthy
Advanced

Received 178 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by fumbling
Are your wheels the satin graphite or the gloss black wheels?
gloss black
The following 2 users liked this post by swmccarthy:
fumbling (12-03-2022), JerriVette (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 11:49 PM
SSWIM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by swmccarthy
Beautiful and you have Moab in your backyard! I am a bit jealous.
Yep. Spend quite a bit of time in Moab as well.

Sam
Old 12-03-2022, 08:46 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
Been racing for a good bit… brake hoses have nothing to do with brake fade. You’d be surprised how good the factory DOT4 fluid does. I eventually flushed SRF in my Stingray, but had no issues with the factory fluid driving very hard at VIR in the instructor group.
I boiled the fluid in my C8 Stingray just running around in intermediate group with my son. I got a warning light on the dash and after that the pedal felt wooden. The first thing the engineering team asked was “did you change the fluid before you took it to the track?” There is a reason they recommend changing it as part of track prep.
The following 3 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
Basil2000 (12-03-2022), thebishman (12-03-2022), village idiot (12-03-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 01:12 PM
swmccarthy
Advanced

Originally Posted by SSWIM
Yep. Spend quite a bit of time in Moab as well.

Sam
Very cool!!!
Old 12-03-2022, 01:22 PM
swmccarthy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I boiled the fluid in my C8 Stingray just running around in intermediate group with my son. I got a warning light on the dash and after that the pedal felt wooden. The first thing the engineering team asked was “did you change the fluid before you took it to the track?” There is a reason they recommend changing it as part of track prep.
Similar. It probably comes down to a number of factors like my not so good braking skills, but I have had similar experiences at Thunder Hill, Laguna Seca and Las Vegas Motor Speedway (the outside course). It is absolutely terrifying heading into turn 8 at Laguna and have your pedal go soft. I know some guys have great luck with OEM equipment, but I just have not. I bleed regularly and flush once or twice per season depending on how much I drive. And when I bleed the brakes, I run through a LOT of brake fluid. It's probably a waste but it makes me feel better. I probably change my engine oil way to often too, but again I figure its better than a repair bill.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:34 PM
swmccarthy
Advanced

Thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread and big thanks to Michael Palmer for putting it all together for the following article.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...st-sports-car/

Let's keep the conversation going, the questions, answers, impressions and opinions. I figure there are no stupid questions. None of us know this car. Not even me and I have one in the garage as I write this! I also figure what we think today is likely to change as we learn more. Right now my impression is based mostly on very sedate driving on public roads. Once I get a few long sessions (15 laps or so) and I get a sense of how the car (and driver) work under stress, I bet my impressions are different.

Speed Ventures has Button Willow on December 17/18. Let me know if any of you are planning to go - would love to meet up and compare notes!
Old 12-03-2022, 01:54 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 897 Likes on 414 Posts

A couple questions. Was the car ordered "for the dealer" and they sold you the car for MSDRP plus ADM? If you do not mind sharing, what was the ADM.

Regarding the car. I find the C8 Stingray a bit underpowered but comfortable for the street. The challenge is to find a car for the street that is enjoyable only compromised for those who do not have a dedicated race car and need the car to do double duty. When speaking of "street" car comparisons,, I think of the Ferrari 458, not as fast as some, but perfect gearing and more than adequate power for the street. As I read you excellent presentation (appreciated), it occurred to me that the Z06 might be a bit much for those who do not track a car. Back to the 458. This car's shifting points and power permitted ease of driving and a great flat plane sound. By contrast newer Ferraris, rev to quickly for my comfort and create too much work. When thinking of the Z06, I wonder if it is not the reverse of the GT3RS.
The Porsche is a race car ill suited for the street because it cannot be enjoyed and driven comfortably on the street, while the Z06 appears to be a car designed for street use but has a little bit too much track in it, requiring self control when driving and finding revs coming up and shift points a bit uncomfortable.

How do you find the street driving. Unrelated, what is the opinion on tire wear when resetting camber/castor/ toe in, etc?
Old 12-03-2022, 02:15 PM
Wyldfyer
Pro

Received 512 Likes on 256 Posts

Great post and congrats!
Old 12-03-2022, 03:46 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 897 Likes on 414 Posts

I am #86 on list at Les Stanford Chevrolet and #6 at a smaller dealership.
I face the possibility of being asked to pay $50,000 to get #6 early or wait an estimated year to get #86 at MSRP.
The good news and I was lucky was to find an available slot to order a Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing about 3 weeks ago which should arrive mid January.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:07 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 968 Likes on 574 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Stunning.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:59 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
Eff that... SRF in anything that goes on track. Annual heavy bleed. Even my full ST2 racecar I would heavy bleed it 2X a year.
Same here. I'm pretty sure even the annual bleed isn't necessary, but it's worth $120/year to not have it in the back of my head.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:10 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,134 Likes on 925 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15,'22,'23,'24

Thanks for taking time to give us a write up! I was never considering the Red Mist....but I gotta be honest that looks pretty killer in that color combo!
Old 12-05-2022, 03:50 PM
swmccarthy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nitro-C5
Thanks for taking time to give us a write up! I was never considering the Red Mist....but I gotta be honest that looks pretty killer in that color combo!
Thanks! I really love it.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:00 PM
swmccarthy
Advanced

Originally Posted by RBK
A couple questions. Was the car ordered "for the dealer" and they sold you the car for MSDRP plus ADM? If you do not mind sharing, what was the ADM.

Regarding the car. I find the C8 Stingray a bit underpowered but comfortable for the street. The challenge is to find a car for the street that is enjoyable only compromised for those who do not have a dedicated race car and need the car to do double duty. When speaking of "street" car comparisons,, I think of the Ferrari 458, not as fast as some, but perfect gearing and more than adequate power for the street. As I read you excellent presentation (appreciated), it occurred to me that the Z06 might be a bit much for those who do not track a car. Back to the 458. This car's shifting points and power permitted ease of driving and a great flat plane sound. By contrast newer Ferraris, rev to quickly for my comfort and create too much work. When thinking of the Z06, I wonder if it is not the reverse of the GT3RS.
The Porsche is a race car ill suited for the street because it cannot be enjoyed and driven comfortably on the street, while the Z06 appears to be a car designed for street use but has a little bit too much track in it, requiring self control when driving and finding revs coming up and shift points a bit uncomfortable.

How do you find the street driving. Unrelated, what is the opinion on tire wear when resetting camber/castor/ toe in, etc?
I ordered the car through a local dealer. I have zero experience in a C8 so cannot speak to the power differences, but I like carrying mid corner speed where HP is not all that helpful (sometimes even hurts me), so HP is not a huge consideration for me. Some of my fastest friends drive lower HP cars and carry insane mid corner speed and are really, really good on the brakes. The Z06 does rev incredibly fast, and I am not yet used to it. I do street drive it a lot, and am learning how to quiet it down (or I am losing hearing). Even so, it lugs around pretty good under 4,000 RPMs so for me it is very streetable.
The following 3 users liked this post by swmccarthy:
2slow2speed (12-05-2022), Ragtop 99 (12-05-2022), SwanSongZ (12-06-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 02:13 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
You more or less need to do fluid before each track day anyway, unless you run SRF.
Right, I'm talking about those owners who don't track and wouldn't want to live with the "downsides" of higher performance fluid being the reason GM doesn't do it factory fill.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:21 PM
user0405240328
Racer

Received 314 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by swmccarthy
Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Take the front lift GPS system and use something similar to control the valves. Program it to closed for 10 seconds as you approach and pass the sound monitoring station. I suspect the tracks wouldn't be happy, but owners would like it.
That would be amazing! Or like when you get close to home, and you do not want to wake the neighbors. There are actually quite a number applications for this idea.
There is an aftermarket solution like what you describe for Porsche. Closes the exhaust valves based on user programmed GPS locations. As far as I know, no one has made a similar system for Corvette C7/C8.
The following users liked this post:
Ragtop 99 (12-07-2022)

Quick Reply: C8 Z06 Second Impressions