Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Just picked it up - Initial Impressions....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 06:41 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,263 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitro-C5
Thus far this has been my experience as well. To GM credit though, when in "Auto/ D" it will aggressively and quickly down shift with the right amount of throttle. So far that is what is taking the most to get used to for me
I mostly drove my C8 stingray in automatic mode using the sport settings and would sometimes override using the paddles. With the Z06, I mostly drive it manually. Tour mode is a bit sluggish for me (good candidate for a Soler throttle controller), while sport mode will sometimes hang at a higher rpm than I want if I'm creeping through traffic. Most local driving is done in manual mode and I feel more engaged, even if I'm just behaving myself in traffic. On this road trip, I put the car in automatic when on the highway. Going up big hills required downshifts and by the time I realized that cruise control couldn't hold the desired speed without me downshifting, I had slowed down 5 MPH or more. Wasn't much of an issue with small hills or less steep inclines, but just easier to let the car downshift. For a fast pass, I'd just paddle down to 3rd or 4th in advance of the move to eliminate any delay/hesitation.

Because of the lack of low end TQ, I find driving it manually is much more satisfying as I decide when I want power available and when it should drive more docile. I've gotten so use to driving wit the paddles, when I did some laps at NCM, I put it in manual after half a lap. It was shifting just fine on its own, but part of me was thinking about the shifts so I took over for the rest of the time. It's not like being 2 seconds slower due to my shifting was going to cost me the podium.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ragtop 99:
dabear (06-06-2024), oaktreebc (05-27-2023), Telepierre (05-28-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 06:50 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MikeR397
I just got a tan interior 2020 vantage so have that box ticked, first time not having a black interior. Plus the z06 will be a track car and the in/out in sweaty shirts does better with black for sure. I’ll probably go with black and red stitch and the carbon level 2 will look sharp and no clashing. I just have always wanted a red interior leather, at least red accents, but I want red mist exterior color more so and it just doesn’t seem to mesh. Of course you pay for it, but that’s one area exotics have Chevy beat is you can have whatever color and match you want, not the “one shade of red inside or on intake only” option.
With CF2, black seat belts and 2 tone seats, the amount of red can be controlled to work with red mist and most of the red stays below the side window level. I was out of budget for the CF2 to do this. I'd also add the stealth interior (not shown on this pic)

sorry about the hijack...
Old 05-27-2023, 07:26 PM
MikeR397
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
With CF2, black seat belts and 2 tone seats, the amount of red can be controlled to work with red mist and most of the red stays below the side window level. I was out of budget for the CF2 to do this. I'd also add the stealth interior (not shown on this pic)

yes, that’s exactly what I’m weighing doing with the red mist exterior. Same red stitching, the only red leather you can see when not inside the car is the side seat bolsters, which is a pretty small area. I just feel the red leather inserts just elevate the interior exotic feel on a 3lz trim. It’ll be hard to ever find a red mist car with this configuration to see in real life or even photos.

chevy still makes you pay $700 or whatever for color override to do this though. Thanks for saving me Chevy…
Old 05-27-2023, 07:45 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,134 Likes on 925 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15,'22,'23,'24

No worries it is a good discussion
Old 05-27-2023, 08:31 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I just got a tan interior 2020 vantage so have that box ticked, first time not having a black interior. Plus the z06 will be a track car and the in/out in sweaty shirts does better with black for sure. I’ll probably go with black and red stitch and the carbon level 2 will look sharp and no clashing. I just have always wanted a red interior leather, at least red accents, but I want red mist exterior color more so and it just doesn’t seem to mesh. Of course you pay for it, but that’s one area exotics have Chevy beat is you can have whatever color and match you want, not the “one shade of red inside or on intake only” option.

vantage “chestnut” interior:

This is what REAL leather looks like. Why can't the 3LZ offer this?!
The following users liked this post:
JABCAT (05-29-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 09:27 PM
997toZLEtoZ06
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

I believe you are referencing the base C8 with the LT2 engine. The Redline for the Z06 during break in is 6,800 rpm and they want you to vary the speed and RPM and not beat on it. Also correct the torque is limited in 1 and 2nd gear and launch control is disabled during break in.
No I am referring to the Z06. It’s 4000 rpm for first 500 miles.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...ore-track-use/
Old 05-27-2023, 10:12 PM
Nitro-C5

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by 997toZLEtoZ06
No I am referring to the Z06. It’s 4000 rpm for first 500 miles.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...ore-track-use/
Ok, I will admit I did not read that in the owners manual prior to taking possession …that said I’m abit confused now. All of the videos or notes I have seen prior is simply not to beat on the car (that should be pretty obvious though) no wide open blasts, don’t go over redline, Don’t bog the engine, no hard braking etc…

The C7 and C8 stingray would limit the red line down to where you could drive it to the (new) red line limit during break in. The Z06 during break in has the Redline at 6,800 … but wants you to not even come close to it and only go to 4,000?? Why would they not lower the redline down to 4000 then? It makes no sense if they don’t want you to give over 4,000. Then it also says don’t let the engine labor…the car is going to labor being driven under 4,000 rpm.

Thanks for the heads up though Luckily I only have 150 miles on it and although I hit it a few times over that 5,000 rpm for the most part I have been pretty good using common sense.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:45 AM
997toZLEtoZ06
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree with you - I was confused as well. Just wanted to make sure to clarify for the community- as a engine warranty claim within 500 miles will no doubt have GM looking for revs…

I agree they should have limited it to 4K if that’s what the break in called for…
Nitro-C5 (05-28-2023)
Old 05-28-2023, 07:37 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,922 Likes on 3,117 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Great looking new ride, IMHO, red mist or black would be my go to colors...don't forget to wave
Old 05-28-2023, 09:11 PM
NakedDave
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 154 Posts

The engine is broken in on the chassis dyno at the factory, the RPM limit is really to break in the DCT and drivetrain 😀
Old 05-28-2023, 10:35 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

There is definitely conflicting info, starting with GM putting the engine on a stand and bringing it up to redline before it goes in a car. Next, the Z06's tach with doesn't show the same redline that GM used for the stingray during the first 500 miles. GM could have programmed the same red line as the stingray, but they didn't.

IIRC, yellow began at 5500 rpm on the Z06 for break-in, so I never went above that during the first 500 miles and didn't go above 4500 rpm for the first couple hundred miles.. And when I went up to 5500 rpm, I used less than 50% throttle.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:48 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,163 Likes on 4,400 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

yes, that’s exactly what I’m weighing doing with the red mist exterior. Same red stitching, the only red leather you can see when not inside the car is the side seat bolsters, which is a pretty small area. I just feel the red leather inserts just elevate the interior exotic feel on a 3lz trim. It’ll be hard to ever find a red mist car with this configuration to see in real life or even photos.

chevy still makes you pay $700 or whatever for color override to do this though. Thanks for saving me Chevy…
The interior in the Vantage is so much better than anything Chevy offers. To me the only interior they doesn't look as cheap in the Corvette is black with/without the microsuede. The red looks like plastic in all trim levels, imo.

Re: Red mist with the black/red interior. To me, even with the small area of red, the two colors still clashed & it didn't look good. This is a poor photo, unfortunately.

Old 05-29-2023, 10:43 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,384 Likes on 1,240 Posts

British GT car interiors are the best in the business which is great because you can sit in them even when the car is broken down.

The C8Z interior to me is comparable to current Lambo quality, both of which are much better than 5-10 year old Lambo interiors (bad).
The following 3 users liked this post by Higgs Boson:
GM Bureaucrat (05-29-2023), hardhattg (06-02-2023), Savoy2001 (05-30-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 11:19 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,163 Likes on 4,400 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by NakedDave
The engine is broken in on the chassis dyno at the factory, the RPM limit is really to break in the DCT and drivetrain 😀
Additionally, it's only a visible limit, as you can still take the engine rpms above it.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:36 PM
Nitro-C5

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by 997toZLEtoZ06
I agree with you - I was confused as well. Just wanted to make sure to clarify for the community- as a engine warranty claim within 500 miles will no doubt have GM looking for revs…

I agree they should have limited it to 4K if that’s what the break in called for…
Originally Posted by NakedDave
There is definitely conflicting info, starting with GM putting the engine on a stand and bringing it up to redline before it goes in a car. Next, the Z06's tach with doesn't show the same redline that GM used for the stingray during the first 500 miles. GM could have programmed the same red line as the stingray, but they didn't.

IIRC, yellow began at 5500 rpm on the Z06 for break-in, so I never went above that during the first 500 miles and didn't go above 4500 rpm for the first couple hundred miles.. And when I went up to 5500 rpm, I used less than 50% throttle.
Originally Posted by JABCAT
Additionally, it's only a visible limit, as you can still take the engine rpms above it.
I have mixed emotions. Being I am wearing my Big Boy pants today I will take responsibility for not reading the manual prior. That said I am not sure who purchases their car and then sits in the dealer lot for a few hours reading through the owner manual...but I digress.

What I am really kind of pissed about is the vagueness and in some cases contradicting info that GM itself has on the break in procedure. The official GM Video that talks about the break in procedure (I watched this prior to picking up the car) NEVER mentions the RPMs but specifically mentions the 500 mile period is for the engine break in specifically the bearings. The use the analogy of a polisher going slow and easy...etc.. then they say its important to show the "wide range of RPM"! Then when they talk about breaking in the transmission they say "The Tachometer will tell you and giving you a SUGGESTION to stay below Redline!" Then they say they are putting it on the Dyno at HIGH load and that starts the break in process. Then in the final summary on "Break in Basics" it talks about ---> Drive at varying speeds and RPM's" but again never mentions the RPM Range!!

So the normal C8 and C7 both have the RPM limiter on during break in at the max RPM you should use...BUT... the Z06 has a redline at 6,600 during break in but apparently you should not go over 4,000 rpm?? If that is the case how in the heck can you vary your RPM...or do they consider 2,000 - 4,000 rpm driving a variation on a 8,600rpm engine?

I will opening/publicly admit I am dyslexic so admittedly my brain does not always process info correct. To that point, I cannot be the only person confused by this.

Here is the official GM video I found:

The following 4 users liked this post by Nitro-C5:
GM Bureaucrat (05-29-2023), oaktreebc (05-30-2023), Ragtop 99 (05-29-2023), Savoy2001 (05-30-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 01:56 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,411 Likes on 2,087 Posts

I have mixed emotions. Being I am wearing my Big Boy pants today I will take responsibility for not reading the manual prior. That said I am not sure who purchases their car and then sits in the dealer lot for a few hours reading through the owner manual...but I digress.

What I am really kind of pissed about is the vagueness and in some cases contradicting info that GM itself has on the break in procedure. The official GM Video that talks about the break in procedure (I watched this prior to picking up the car) NEVER mentions the RPMs but specifically mentions the 500 mile period is for the engine break in specifically the bearings. The use the analogy of a polisher going slow and easy...etc.. then they say its important to show the "wide range of RPM"! Then when they talk about breaking in the transmission they say "The Tachometer will tell you and giving you a SUGGESTION to stay below Redline!" Then they say they are putting it on the Dyno at HIGH load and that starts the break in process. Then in the final summary on "Break in Basics" it talks about ---> Drive at varying speeds and RPM's" but again never mentions the RPM Range!!

So the normal C8 and C7 both have the RPM limiter on during break in at the max RPM you should use...BUT... the Z06 has a redline at 6,600 during break in but apparently you should not go over 4,000 rpm?? If that is the case how in the heck can you vary your RPM...or do they consider 2,000 - 4,000 rpm driving a variation on a 8,600rpm engine?

I will opening/publicly admit I am dyslexic so admittedly my brain does not always process info correct. To that point, I cannot be the only person confused by this.

Here is the official GM video I found:
The break-in section was not rewritten for the Z06. I would not be concerned. The tach gives you the suggested maximum RPM during break-in, when cold, and when at operating temperature.

I would be unconcerned about the manual and 4000 RPM limit shown there, unless oil pressure or temp are below range.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:02 PM
Nitro-C5

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Racer X
The break-in section was not rewritten for the Z06. I would not be concerned. The tach gives you the suggested maximum RPM during break-in, when cold, and when at operating temperature.

I would be unconcerned about the manual and 4000 RPM limit shown there, unless oil pressure or temp are below range.

Thanks for the input and reassurance. To be honest I am not freaking out or anything I am just kinda disappointed that with a car this expensive they were not extremely clear, especially being they are stating how important the break in procedure is...but then not being clear on what the procedure actually is!

I never do stupid stuff in any of my cars until actually a good amount of time after a proper break in so not concerned I hurt anything, I just wish the damn redline on the tach matched what they put in the manual.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nitro-C5:
GM Bureaucrat (05-29-2023), JerriVette (05-29-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Just picked it up - Initial Impressions....

Old 05-29-2023, 10:39 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Thanks for the input and reassurance. To be honest I am not freaking out or anything I am just kinda disappointed that with a car this expensive they were not extremely clear, especially being they are stating how important the break in procedure is...but then not being clear on what the procedure actually is!

I never do stupid stuff in any of my cars until actually a good amount of time after a proper break in so not concerned I hurt anything, I just wish the damn redline on the tach matched what they put in the manual.
For your next not-freaking-out moment, wait until you see at what oil temp the tach allows full redline. That's a different thread though.
Nitro-C5 (05-29-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 10:55 PM
Nitro-C5

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

For your next not-freaking-out moment, wait until you see at what oil temp the tach allows full redline. That's a different thread though.

You Bastard! I kinda feel like the engineers, marketing team and the folks that wrote the manual have never been in the same room before!
Ragtop 99 (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 11:50 AM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,343 Likes on 593 Posts

here is how I went. Didnt want alot of red like i used to get!
i did black interior with red stitching and blk n red comp seats.
no red om glove box etc.

Last edited by harley2; 05-30-2023 at 12:50 PM.
MikeR397 (05-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Just picked it up - Initial Impressions....