Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Window Tint: Which rear window did you tint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 08:40 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Default Window Tint: Which rear window did you tint?

Have a tint appointment tomorrow morning for my C8 Z and just had a thought cross my mind:

Which of the two rear windows are you guys tinting? The vertical one between passengers and the engine? Or the one on the hatch? I would assume most tint the one on the hatch but then I started thinking its possible some guys are tinting the other window and leaving the hatch window clear for viewing of the LT6, but am wondering if this looks weird with black side windows and a clear rear window?

What say you? Share your pics/experiences.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:42 AM
C2Red64
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I tinted both back windows, with hatch, 5%.
Sides at 5%, front at 35%.

Yes it will look weird. Tint them all or dont do it at all.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:55 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,287 Likes on 2,204 Posts

I did 15% side windows and cabin window. I left the hatch window alone. I want to see the engine bay and others too when i'm in traffic lol.

Didn't do the windshield because cops here are dicks.
The following users liked this post:
shatter (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 09:19 AM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 248 Likes on 142 Posts

Did the rear cab window, didn't do the hatch for two reasons - 1) want to see the engine 2) tint place didn't recommending doing that glass given concerns of long term durability
The following 4 users liked this post by blackbirdws6:
Hellcat_C8_Ryan (05-02-2024), LethalArrhythmia (05-03-2024), Milehigh Z06 (05-04-2024), Z0HS1CK (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 09:20 AM
95vettski
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

35% side glass and rear partition
no tint on rear hatch
Old 05-02-2024, 09:35 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Any of you guys have pics of rear partition and side windows tinted but not rear glass? I still think its gonna look weird especially considering I'm doing the windshield too
Old 05-02-2024, 09:37 AM
JJRIVS3
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 25 Posts

Sides, front windshield, rear partition. Did not do the hatch for previous reasons mentioned especially seeing the engine.
Z0HS1CK (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 09:43 AM
C2Red64
Instructor

Who cares about not seeing the engine through a tinted hatch? Most people are going to want you to pop up the hatch anyways to see the engine. Plus if its tinted, you dont
joe schmoe leaning over your car trying to look at it.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:51 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by blackbirdws6
Did the rear cab window, didn't do the hatch for two reasons - 1) want to see the engine 2) tint place didn't recommending doing that glass given concerns of long term durability

Yup, same. My tint guy is an official 3M dealer. He is the official contractor for the jacob javits center and i trust his word he told me the same thing.

Plus gotta see that masterpiece of an engine bay at all times!! lol
LethalArrhythmia (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 10:01 AM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Any of you guys have pics of rear partition and side windows tinted but not rear glass? I still think its gonna look weird especially considering I'm doing the windshield too
Will grab one later - Doesn't look weird at all.

Originally Posted by C2Red64
Who cares about not seeing the engine through a tinted hatch? Most people are going to want you to pop up the hatch anyways to see the engine. Plus if its tinted, you dont
joe schmoe leaning over your car trying to look at it.
Just buy a convertible . Don't be defensive because you tinted the hatch ha. I like to peek at it as I look at the car, didn't leave it for everyone else to see but they are welcome to.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:01 AM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

My rear window is not tinted but the sides are 5% and the window behind the seats is 5.
Z0HS1CK (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 10:11 AM
MichaelCar001
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want to keep a clear view of the engine, especially if you like showing off the LT6, I'd suggest tinting the side and rear windows but leaving the hatch window clear. It could give your car a unique look and make the engine stand out as a cool feature.
Z0HS1CK (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 10:14 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by ls1wolf

My rear window is not tinted but the sides are 5% and the window behind the seats is 5.
Perfect! that's how mine is but i wish i had the red intake lol. I'll add carbon fiber bits to the engine bay so i can show it off more!! lol
ls1wolf (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 10:32 AM
C2Red64
Instructor

Will grab one later - Doesn't look weird at all.

Just buy a convertible . Don't be defensive because you tinted the hatch ha. I like to peek at it as I look at the car, didn't leave it for everyone else to see but they are welcome to.
Electric convertible tops are made to break, same with sunroofs. I would personally never buy a convertible.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:59 AM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Originally Posted by c2red64
electric convertible tops are made to break, same with sunroofs. I would personally never buy a convertible.
ok.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:29 PM
C2Red64
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTBSully
it will look weird if you dont tint all the windows.
Ask your wife or girlfriend. Woman always seem to have a better sense for this kind of stuff if it looks great or stupid.

Long term durability with the tint? Dont you have lifetime warranty? I have it with mine.
Thats why i bought the best and most expensive tint.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:28 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

it will look weird if you dont tint all the windows.
Ask your wife or girlfriend. Woman always seem to have a better sense for this kind of stuff if it looks great or stupid.

Long term durability with the tint? Dont you have lifetime warranty? I have it with mine.
Thats why i bought the best and most expensive tint.
I know the first response was directed towards me but it doesn't look weird to see the engine without tint on the hatch glass on a mid engine car. I won't comment on the wife/GF statement and their perception of all things perfect....

Yes the tint has a lifetime warranty and some people don't measure quality based on how much money you spent. The decision to not do it wasn't based on cost. If a body shop told you there is a chance the paint will flake off within a few years but they provide a lifetime warranty, would you use them? Perhaps only if it was the most expensive
Z0HS1CK (05-02-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Window Tint: Which rear window did you tint?

Old 05-02-2024, 03:39 PM
C2Red64
Instructor

I know the first response was directed towards me but it doesn't look weird to see the engine without tint on the hatch glass on a mid engine car. I won't comment on the wife/GF statement and their perception of all things perfect....

Yes the tint has a lifetime warranty and some people don't measure quality based on how much money you spent. The decision to not do it wasn't based on cost. If a body shop told you there is a chance the paint will flake off within a few years but they provide a lifetime warranty, would you use them? Perhaps only if it was the most expensive
Ive been tinting all my rides for well over 25 years. I started doing the front windshield, prob the last 15. Started with 50%, and finally settled on 35%. Dont sit there and tell me tinting all the windows and leaving the hatch untinted looks good. It simply doesnt. It looks stupid in my opinion. Same with putting a 6inch strip of tint on the top front windshield. You do the whole car, or dont do it all.

Before i had the car tinted, everyone asked me to pop the trunk to see the engine. Not look at it through the glass. So yeah, just tint it. Car looks bad azz with all the windows blacked out.

And of course the best tint is more expensive, its a few hundred more. Lowest price tint, it still does its job, but there isnt a lifetime warranty.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:58 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Ive been tinting all my rides for well over 25 years. I started doing the front windshield, prob the last 15. Started with 50%, and finally settled on 35%. Dont sit there and tell me tinting all the windows and leaving the hatch untinted looks good. It simply doesnt. It looks stupid in my opinion. Same with putting a 6inch strip of tint on the top front windshield. You do the whole car, or dont do it all.

Before i had the car tinted, everyone asked me to pop the trunk to see the engine. Not look at it through the glass. So yeah, just tint it. Car looks bad azz with all the windows blacked out.

And of course the best tint is more expensive, its a few hundred more. Lowest price tint, it still does its job, but there isnt a lifetime warranty.
Sarcasm may be tough to pickup over forum talk. Not sure what 25+ years of having your cars tinted provides to the conversation other than a comparison of material improvements over the years but sure, sounds good. I've had my cars tinted for about the same amount of time in all various shades and brands....

I didn't say tinting the whole car doesn't look good, it does but for this particular car I don't see it being necessary. Tinting the small rear window actually dims the engine bay. We can agree to disagree. People can do what they want with their own cars. I spend the money on quality ceramic from a reputable manufacturer. What best brand and specific tint line did you purchase?
Old 05-02-2024, 07:27 PM
C2Red64
Instructor

Sarcasm may be tough to pickup over forum talk. Not sure what 25+ years of having your cars tinted provides to the conversation other than a comparison of material improvements over the years but sure, sounds good. I've had my cars tinted for about the same amount of time in all various shades and brands....

I didn't say tinting the whole car doesn't look good, it does but for this particular car I don't see it being necessary. Tinting the small rear window actually dims the engine bay. We can agree to disagree. People can do what they want with their own cars. I spend the money on quality ceramic from a reputable manufacturer. What best brand and specific tint line did you purchase?
https://helioswindowfilm.com/automotive/super-nova/

I am sure there are other top quality brands, but have been using their film on my rides for awhile..

Quick Reply: Window Tint: Which rear window did you tint?