Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

My electric parking brake made me name my car Sybil

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 08:14 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,951 Likes on 4,764 Posts
Default My electric parking brake made me name my car Sybil

So for the last 4 years in my SR I have set my EPB (electric parking brake) when I stop the car before I put it in park. I don't want to load the parking pawl and so it's what I have always done every time it's driven. These cars do have an automatic release, if you don't release the brake with the button, then putting it in gear and giving it a little gas will release it. I always reach up, push the button, I hear the brake release and the light goes out, and away I go. My new Z06 isn't following that same path. Every time I have parked it, it has engaged with the button and the "brake" light comes on as it should, but more times than not, when I go to leave (car is running and my foot is on the brake pedal) I push the button and nothing happens. So I push the button multiple times and nothing happens, the automatic release doesn't work correctly either, but the moment I select a gear it releases (foot still on the brake pedal holding the car), but why isn't the button working on release every time as it should? Then a few minutes ago, I had the passenger side door open for about five minutes while I removed the plastic protection material off the floor mat, and when I shut the passenger side door, I heard the EPB engage (I didn't set it last night intentionally). Why would the EPB set after a passenger door is shut?????? Yesterday I started the car and it the button wouldn't release it, selected reverse and that instant it released, drove for 20 minutes and shut it off. When I started it again the button released it.

The technician has no idea how or why it's doing what it's doing, the owners manual and the shop computer at the dealership are basically copies of each other, yet I have no "service EPB", or amber 'brake" light, or any indicator of an issue. On a positive note, it does always set, and one way or another it always releases, just doesn't work the way it's supposed to. Come on Sybil, let's go for a drive.
Old 05-25-2024, 09:14 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,869 Likes on 3,230 Posts

No issues with mine set it every time in the same manner as you describe and releases every time I go to leave. 23.
Old 05-25-2024, 09:23 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,291 Likes on 1,816 Posts

Sybil, or maybe “Christine” because she’s clearly got a mind of her own! When I had a manual transmission, I always set the brake but rarely did with my C8. Hope that gremlin works itself out.
The following users liked this post:
Phil1098 (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 09:46 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Originally Posted by 23/C8Z
No issues with mine set it every time in the same manner as you describe and releases every time I go to leave. 23.
I have to wonder if it's a 2024 thing with all the new safety nannies and the full on change to Android Auto. Lots of software changes from 2023 to 2024. It could also be that mine is schizophrenic.
Old 05-25-2024, 09:48 AM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,016 Likes on 2,052 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

That’s funny. I named mine Sybil because of its multiple personalities between the drive modes.
I park on a Kwik Lift in my garage, so my parking brake always automatically sets due to the incline. Haven’t really paid that much attention to it otherwise, but it seems like if it sets automatically, it releases automatically.

Old 05-25-2024, 10:22 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Originally Posted by lewislgZ06
That’s funny. I named mine Sybil because of its multiple personalities between the drive modes.
I park on a Kwik Lift in my garage, so my parking brake always automatically sets due to the incline. Haven’t really paid that much attention to it otherwise, but it seems like if it sets automatically, it releases automatically.
If mine would always release automatically every time I would figure it's a change, but mine wouldn't release in my garage (level floor) yesterday with the button and then later at the dealership it did release with the button. As long as in some way it always releases, maybe I'll just figure it's a quirk of my car.
Old 05-26-2024, 10:32 AM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 146 Posts

When we picked up our ‘24 Z06 in BG (R8C) 4/1, we were informed of a “recall” that applied to the DCT software. This software update, was to correct an issue with the trans selector not moving automatically to “Park”, when the engine is shut off in another gear selection. As the parking brake automatic release, is part of the same programming, I’m wondering if the “recall software update” may correct Sybil’s issues. If not already done. 🤔
Old 05-26-2024, 10:47 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,637 Likes on 2,189 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I never apply the emergency brake in my 24, yet every time I start it, the dash indicates that it's on?
I just put it in hear and it releases. Neither my 20 or 22 did this. Gee, maybe I should have kept my Singray

Get notified of new replies

To My electric parking brake made me name my car Sybil

Quick Reply: My electric parking brake made me name my car Sybil