Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Ethanol free gasoline?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:31 AM
gregm06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ethanol free gasoline?

I was at a Shell station (in Ontario) yesterday and saw a notice on the pump stating their Premium gas was ethanol free. Is anyone here aware of any other brands that do not add ethanol to their gas? A marine mechanic advised me to use ethanol free gas in my boat whenever possible, and I believe it may be better for the vette, especialy during storage. Any comments?
Old 10-17-2010, 12:58 PM
auctiondepot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is an issue with ethanol being corrosive when sitting for long periods.

Accelerated Corrosion and Conductivity
Ethanol can accelerate corrosion in steel UST systems by scouring or loosening
deposits on the internal surfaces of tanks and piping. If a corrosion cell exists, the
ethanol can accelerate (scour) the corrosion cell and cause a perforation. As mentioned
above, ethanol is not compatible with soft metals such as zinc, brass, copper, lead, and
aluminum. These metals will degrade or corrode in contact with ethanol and possibly
contaminate a vehicle’s fuel system.
Tank leak detection equipment composed of certain metals (mentioned above),
polymers, and elastomers may not be compatible with ethanol. Because ethanol has a
higher conductivity than gasoline, capacitance probes may not work in ethanol-blend
fuels. Verify the floats used in magnetostrictive probes are alcohol compatible and that
the ATG system is properly calibrated for ethanol.

Since ethanol-blended fuels attract and hold moisture, ethanol content can contribute to causing corrosion of tank material in aluminum fuel tanks. Corrosion material can clog fuel filters and damage injectors, carburetors, and other fuel system components.

Stainless steel and plastic fuel tank materials are not affected by ethanol-blended fuels. However, ethanol-blended fuel can act as a solvent, loosening and washing old deposits or contaminates into the fuel system.

In communist red Canada, our Oligarchs tell us that it is better to consume 11 acres of corn to add 15% ethanol/gasoline to fuel 1 car for 1 year instead of feeding 7 humane beings for 1 year from that 11 acres, and it is necessary to subsidize ethanol production/distribution with borrowed money from the best banking system in the world, and from the new breathing tax for CO2.

Got to love Canada.

All together now:

Oh Canada, Our Home and native land.......
LA La lala.. la la la lala la
Does anyone know the words?
Old 10-17-2010, 02:12 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Not just Canada,ethanol free fuel at the pump is likely a thing of the past.Even Nascar is giving up its redneck hillbilly ways,going to an E15 blend and get this-fuel injection in 2011!Welcome to the technology of the eighties boys!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,516 Likes on 823 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I am not aware of any other brand, but since I found out about the Shell V Power I have started using that at every fill.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by auctiondepot
There is an issue with ethanol being corrosive when sitting for long periods.

Accelerated Corrosion and Conductivity
Ethanol can accelerate corrosion in steel UST systems by scouring or loosening
deposits on the internal surfaces of tanks and piping. If a corrosion cell exists, the
ethanol can accelerate (scour) the corrosion cell and cause a perforation. As mentioned
above, ethanol is not compatible with soft metals such as zinc, brass, copper, lead, and
aluminum. These metals will degrade or corrode in contact with ethanol and possibly
contaminate a vehicle’s fuel system.
Tank leak detection equipment composed of certain metals (mentioned above),
polymers, and elastomers may not be compatible with ethanol. Because ethanol has a
higher conductivity than gasoline, capacitance probes may not work in ethanol-blend
fuels. Verify the floats used in magnetostrictive probes are alcohol compatible and that
the ATG system is properly calibrated for ethanol.

Since ethanol-blended fuels attract and hold moisture, ethanol content can contribute to causing corrosion of tank material in aluminum fuel tanks. Corrosion material can clog fuel filters and damage injectors, carburetors, and other fuel system components.

Stainless steel and plastic fuel tank materials are not affected by ethanol-blended fuels. However, ethanol-blended fuel can act as a solvent, loosening and washing old deposits or contaminates into the fuel system.

In communist red Canada, our Oligarchs tell us that it is better to consume 11 acres of corn to add 15% ethanol/gasoline to fuel 1 car for 1 year instead of feeding 7 humane beings for 1 year from that 11 acres, and it is necessary to subsidize ethanol production/distribution with borrowed money from the best banking system in the world, and from the new breathing tax for CO2.

Got to love Canada.

All together now:

Oh Canada, Our Home and native land.......
LA La lala.. la la la lala la
Does anyone know the words?
You haven't seen anything yet... Long live Communist Canada!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Snobike Mike
Melting Slicks

I'm pretty sure Petro can is ethanol free at the higher end as well.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:52 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Snobike Mike
I kind of doubt that, as Petro Canda was "consumed" by Suncor aka Sunoco.

Now, the Petro Canada 94 is the same as the old Sunoco 94......10% ethanol. I have no idea how much ethanol is in their 91........since I only use 94.

Esso may be ethanol free, but I have not used it since they changed their formulation when they changed to low sulphur content. I was getting consistent drivability issues with Esso Extra. The car would stumble badly when first accelerating. Switched to anything elso and that stumble completely disappeared.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Mike Jung
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You mean the company that was bought by Sunoco ?

Sunoco that was the 1st to use ethanol in all their gasolines before government regs required it.

http://www.sunoco.ca/default.aspx?ID=2379
...We take pride in our responsibility to the environment. All our gasolines are enhanced with ethanol – a clean burning, renewable resource. It's also a gas-line antifreeze in the winter. All Sunoco gasoline is certified with Environment Canada's EcologoM under the Environmental ChoiceM program.
PS: I like ethanol in our gasoline...but not the sourcing it by corn stock.

For new vehicles: It keeps them cleaner & a great fuel line anti-freeze.

Last edited by Mike Jung; 10-18-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Mike Jung
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tfi racing
...Even Nascar is giving up its redneck hillbilly ways,going to an E15 blend and get this-fuel injection in 2011!Welcome to the technology of the eighties boys!
In V8 Supercars race series, they use E85 as their fuel.
(But their mileage on the race track has suffered.)

& they make over 600+ hp in their Chevy small block 5.0L V8 race engines.

The new mid-gen Holden Commodores are now "hybrid" vehicles.
They get the green Hybrid badging too.
(Hybrid meaning they are E85 compatible small block 6.0L V8's )
& Brazil is really liking the idea (them using E25 as their fuel)...GM is specially marketing it there to them; as a Chevy Omega , in a V6 version.

Last edited by Mike Jung; 10-18-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Snobike Mike
Melting Slicks

So I'm confused now. Sunoco bought Petro Can but disolved all of the Sunoso gas stations and kept the Petro can name? Seems dumb to me.

I'll go by a Petro Can station and check their labeling, I'm still pretty sure that the premium doesn't contain Ethanol.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Snobike Mike
Melting Slicks

Did a quick google search and it seems some say yes, others say no.

Oh well, I buy Shell gas because of no ethanol for the boat.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:59 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

So I'm confused now. Sunoco bought Petro Can but disolved all of the Sunoso gas stations and kept the Petro can name? Seems dumb to me.

Yeah, I know.........does not make sense to me either.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Mike Jung
Burning Brakes

So I'm confused now. Sunoco bought Petro Can but disolved all of the Sunoso gas stations and kept the Petro can name? Seems dumb to me...
Bigger network/more Petro-Can gasoline stations out there.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:01 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 849 Likes on 725 Posts

Good info on the Shell gas. Too bad I don't have any real close to me. Do you notice a difference in fuel mileage?

Maybe Sunoco thinks some people will still buy into the PetroCan being Canadian owned and that buying there is supporting Canada somehow.

Peter
Old 10-18-2010, 09:54 PM
squalo1
Disabled by request 10 March 2011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that Shell is the only one still selling non-ethenol gas (only in the premium), if you read their pumps the 87 & 89 have the regulated "upto" 5%.

As for Sunoco, PetroCan merged with Suncor buying them out, and you will notice that ALL the Sunoco gas stations are in transition to becoming Petro Canada. They are offering the ULTRA 94 (by old Sunoco) at most of their stations.

The government regulated, many years ago, that ALL gas had to contain "upto" 5% ethenol. I have bought from the old Sunoco & currently from Shell, used them in both my C3 (past car) and my '10 Camaro (present car) and don't really feel any difference, nor increase/decrease in gas mileage.

In my opinion, gas mileage is primarily based on your method of driving, the mods on your car (if any), and the tuning of your vehicle.

JUST USE WHAT BEST WORKS FOR YOU & YOUR VEHICLE AND NOT WHAT PEOPLE SAY!
YOUR VEHICLE WILL DICTATE WHAT IT LIKES!

Last edited by squalo1; 10-19-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,961 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by squalo1

As for Sunoco, PetroCan merged with Suncor buying them out, and you will notice that ALL the Sunoco gas stations are in transition to becoming Petro Canada. They are offering the ULTRA 94 (by old Sunoco) at most of their stations.
Not all Sunocos are becoming Petro Canadas, a lot of them have been converted to Husky. I've also seen a few Petro Canadas around here that have been converted to Husky stations too.

Not all Petro Canada stations will carry Ultra 94, but the ones that were recently converted from Sunocos will have it.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:33 PM
gregm06
Advanced

It's too bad more brands don't offer a choice. If Shell can offer it, why not Esso or Petro Can. I've read that the ethanol blend is fine as long as it's used within 6 weeks, afterwhich it may begin breaking down and separating. Also, the octane level in the remaining fuel may be below what's advertised because the ethanol was used in part to boost the octane rating.

Get notified of new replies

To Ethanol free gasoline?

Quick Reply: Ethanol free gasoline?