Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Mr Clean Car Wash & Filter system

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Byfaithman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mr Clean Car Wash & Filter system

I am curious about the Mr Clean Carwash and filter system, it promises to wash and then rinse with filtered water that "sheets" off. Has anyone tried it, does it work.

My new (to me) baby "Grace" is black/black and I'm in for frequent washes so I am looking for quick ways to do the daily wash.

If it is already over-discussed just give me the link.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Byfaithman
Instructor

ttt
Old 06-11-2005, 02:16 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Unfortunately I have no knowledge of this system. But the best way to wash your Vette is as simple as plain clean water and a couple of Micro Fiber cloths. Only takes about 1/2 hour. That's really all it takes. But somebody is always willing to sell you some sort of magical devices and chemicals. They just don't stop coming up with more and more products.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:24 PM
JWB ZO6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Even if the minerals are filtered out wont be as good as a nice dry with micro fiber towel.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:30 PM
RatedX
Drifting

Location: Spring Hill, Florida Life is all about new beginnings;...TRY ONE!
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

I have used it, got it as a gift, and it works remarkably well.
The water sheets off beautifully, The downside is the cost;
not so much of the unit, but the filters and liquid soap go very quickly if you are a washaholic like most Vette owners are.
So far I have only been able to buy the soap in small bottles at an rediculous price (I think); also the filters only last as long as the quality of your water going through them, it states good for 10 washes, but mine last 3.
I pretty much save the unit for when it's really dirty, and do what our brother C5vetteLS1 says and use plain water,....... and a gentle hand.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Byfaithman
Instructor

I will take you guys up on that tap water and microfibre process. I just need simple tech for quick up keep. It is a daily driver and I can't drive it dirty when it's sunny. I already am checking email from my laptop in it. If I start spending an hour washing daily my wife will .....
Old 06-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 125 Posts

I use the Mr Clean system and like it. I don't think it's expensive when you factor in the time it saves me.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:35 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Byfaithman
I will take you guys up on that tap water and microfibre process. I just need simple tech for quick up keep. It is a daily driver and I can't drive it dirty when it's sunny. I already am checking email from my laptop in it. If I start spending an hour washing daily my wife will .....
In most cases, you're typically washing dust from your car. The California Car Duster is an excellent quick-fix for just that. You can buy them at K-Mart, Walmart, Target, as well as most Auto stores
Good luck with that.
Richard
Old 06-11-2005, 03:38 PM
RatedX
Drifting

Location: Spring Hill, Florida Life is all about new beginnings;...TRY ONE!
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by Byfaithman
Always remember the gentle hand, as the soap in any car wash lifts the dirt from the finish and helps glide it off, however you don't have that benefit when using plain water so you don't want to grind the dirt against the finish when moving the towel (weather a microfiber or not, dirt is still abrasive)

Last edited by RatedX; 06-11-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Monster231
Safety Car

its awesome get it... ITs perfect for a quick wash in between details
Old 06-11-2005, 03:43 PM
98NassauBluC5
Pro

I had one, and used it 4 or 5 times until I backed up over it. It worked awesome, I plan on getting another kit pretty soon. The only thing about is that you don't have to use a bucket or dry when done. If you don't mind those two steps then don't waste money.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Byfaithman
Instructor

Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1
In most cases, you're typically washing dust from your car. The California Car Duster is an excellent quick-fix for just that. You can buy them at K-Mart, Walmart, Target, as well as most Auto stores
Good luck with that.
Richard
I just got one of those (on sale at Sears) I'd never heard of them before today. I will put that into my bag of tricks.

I will be gentle with her too. Thanks for the reminder.

I think I will try to drop some hints about the Carwash kit as a Father's day gift. The water in Tacoma is pretty good so if I can get 5-6 uses per filter it will help. I still have to go to work so time savers will help.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:01 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

This product is use useful if you (like me) live in an area with hard water. Being that it is hot as hell down here you cannot dry the water off fast enough to prevent all water spots. It did not completely solve the problem, but is helpful. Black cars are really beautiful, but can cause a lot of problems trying to keep clean...
Old 06-11-2005, 10:46 PM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1
Good luck with that.
Richard
my cars get washed only 3 to 4 times a year but I might do the wheels a few extra times. The duster and quick detailer is all I use; they do have many coats of zaino on them though.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:08 AM
vizette
Racer

Originally Posted by RatedX
I have used it, got it as a gift, and it works remarkably well.
The water sheets off beautifully, The downside is the cost;
not so much of the unit, but the filters and liquid soap go very quickly if you are a washaholic like most Vette owners are.
So far I have only been able to buy the soap in small bottles at an rediculous price (I think); also the filters only last as long as the quality of your water going through them, it states good for 10 washes, but mine last 3.
I pretty much save the unit for when it's really dirty, and do what our brother C5vetteLS1 says and use plain water,....... and a gentle hand.
I've heard that some use Zaino soap instead of the Mr. Clean. I haven't tried mine yet, but plan on doing this instead of paying out for there brand.

-Rich
Old 06-12-2005, 12:20 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Originally Posted by vizette
I've heard that some use Zaino soap instead of the Mr. Clean. I haven't tried mine yet, but plan on doing this instead of paying out for there brand.

-Rich
By paying for their brand, do you mean Mr. Clean? The reason I ask is because I use Zainos polish and detailer, and none of their product are cheap. One guy I talked to at the Cruise in uses Zainos in his Mr. Clean rather that the Mr Clean soap, but it is because he does not want to take a chance on using anything other than a Zainos product on his Zainos Polish. (He is concerned about the chemicals in the Mr. Clean) In any event, I would be willing to bet Mr Clean car wash is less expensive than Zainos.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:33 AM
vizette
Racer

Originally Posted by crawfish333
By paying for their brand, do you mean Mr. Clean? The reason I ask is because I use Zainos polish and detailer, and none of their product are cheap. One guy I talked to at the Cruise in uses Zainos in his Mr. Clean rather that the Mr Clean soap, but it is because he does not want to take a chance on using anything other than a Zainos product on his Zainos Polish. (He is concerned about the chemicals in the Mr. Clean) In any event, I would be willing to bet Mr Clean car wash is less expensive than Zainos.
Honestly i haven't compared the prices, but what you said about mixing products would be another reason to use the Zaino soap (if you were using a Zaino polish). As i understand it, the Mr. Clean soap is supposed to assist the sheeting action, but the real benifit in regards to the water spots comes from the water filter. I suppose you could use any soap. I'll have to experiment when mine runs out.

-Rich

Get notified of new replies

To Mr Clean Car Wash & Filter system

Old 06-14-2005, 07:53 AM
PhoenixCIS
Instructor

i used the filter when i washed sunday. last weekend when i washed, i fought and fought and fought water spotting. this time....zero. just rinse and then go back over it with the filtered water. i dried it cuz i was in a hurry, but i have no doubt it would air dry fine.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:47 PM
JOHN MOORE
Instructor

i have a black coupe that is not only a daily driver, but also lives outdoors...i clean it often...i bought the mr. clean system last year, and used it a lot over the winter, however, it can leave some water spots, and also some dull areas that look like the soap may have dried...i perfer to wash and dry, and have found that a water-only rinse followed by a drying with a microfiber waffle-weave towel works well between detailings, and can be done in the mornings before i go to work...however, i will use the mr. clean system again next winter....
Old 06-15-2005, 08:17 AM
TOPGUN9
Drifting

My '99 black coupe is also my DD, and I wash it every week with Mr. Clean and Zaino soap. I then use a leaf blower to get all the water off the car. Finally, I detail with Z6 and a microfiber towel. By using a leaf blower with Mr. Clean, I can virtually eliminate all water spotting on my black Vette, especially on a hot day.

Quick Reply: Mr Clean Car Wash & Filter system