Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Does using a Cali Duster cause scratches/swirlmarks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 04:41 PM
AbsolutHank
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 93 Posts

I think you'd be better off with a quick 5min Quick Detail Spray session instead...at least you have some lubricant on the paint
Old 02-22-2008, 08:34 PM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

how many opinions do you have here from people with black cars and how many people are guessing.

<=== Black car

I use the Ca Duster on the upper surfaces anytime I put the cover on and the car is "clean". I put the cover on when ever I expect to not drive it for a couple of days. I live in a clean area, and get a chance to drive fast enough to blow most dust off on the way home.

Zaino once a year, and zero scratches.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:21 PM
JBACE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a problem for me.

I lightly swipe it across the surface while rotating my wrist so that any particles that get stuck to the yarns are rotated up and away instead of dragged.

Then I shake it vigorously after each swipe.

I'll only use it when the car is slightly dusty. If in doubt, nothing beats soap and water.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:41 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zulatr
how many opinions do you have here from people with black cars and how many people are guessing.

<=== Black car

I use the Ca Duster on the upper surfaces anytime I put the cover on and the car is "clean". I put the cover on when ever I expect to not drive it for a couple of days. I live in a clean area, and get a chance to drive fast enough to blow most dust off on the way home.

Zaino once a year, and zero scratches.
I have a black car and even sitting in the garage it gets dusty even if I don't open the door I have found this to happen at my previous home as well my cars have been sitting since Thanxgiving in the garage, they are covered with dust, I have never found dust to blow off a car, that works about as well as driving a car while wet to dry it off IMO
Old 02-23-2008, 04:19 AM
KeithKman
Pro

I use it before I do a quick wipe down with some quick detailer. People that have seen my Camaro no I have very little to no swirls.

Use it correctly.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:45 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are times I wash my car and then pull it directly into the garage. If it sits for a few days I'll use a duster or compressed air to get the dust off. Once I take the car out onto the street, the first thing I put on the car to clean it is water.
Like some have said, depends on how you use it.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I have an EB coupe, and after washing, putting the car in the garage, and taking it out for a ride several days later, dust gets on the surface.I have tried the Duster, and it seems to cause some minor scratching. This is on a car that has just gotten dust on it from the garage. EB, is a darker color, and it shows alot more scratches than I thought it would ( alot more than my Arctic White 93). Using a spray detailer, and a very good microfiber cloth doesn't seem to be any more efficient, since you are rubbing dirt ( dust) particles into the finish. I plan on going over the car in the spring with my PC, orange to white pads, and IP, FP, Glaze, and then FMJ paint sealer. From then on, it will only be washing ,with no detailers or Dusters, and I want to see what happens.
After some thought on this, I believe that I'm going to try to use Rejex this time on the car, and hope that it will inhibit any dust from sticking to the finish. However, I will still avoid using the Duster.

Last edited by Ralphyboy; 02-25-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:01 PM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cadguymark
I have never found dust to blow off a car, that works about as well as driving a car while wet to dry it off IMO
I work at a decent sized aerospace company with a big parking lot directly across the street from an airport. The car gets a pretty good layer of dust/what ever you want to call it that blows around. I can blow it off like blowing out candles.

I get a 70 mph run coming out of work, and it is definately cleaner when I get home, maybe because it's coarser than just house dust or pollen.

mike
Old 02-26-2008, 04:20 PM
teagueO
Instructor

IMO Start with good polish and wax job (Menzerna FMJ is awesome). Always dangle strands gently and most important don't change directions during swipe. Top of hood to bottom of hood, middle of trunk to side of trunk. Changing of directions is when scratching occurs. I use multiple dusters. Newer for top of car, older for lower quarter panels behind wheels, and oldest for wheels and engine bay. Mist and wipe spray with micro fibre towel before car show. Dust cover while in garage helps too. Yada yada yada!

Quick Reply: Does using a Cali Duster cause scratches/swirlmarks?