Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Gixxer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where do I start?

I used Zaino on my black Vette with great results but with a family now I don't have time for all of the steps.

I just got a black 06 325i. I don't know what the dealer did as far as buffing/waxing but it looked awesome when I bought it but after only a couple washes the paint is looking pretty bad. Lots of swirl marks and small scratches are showing up.

I am looking for something easy since I don't have much time anymore and I may try Turtle Wax ICE. It seemed to get good reviews here.

Will a few coats of ICE polish touch up those swirl marks or do I need to start over with washing it with dawn, claybar, polish, etc.?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2008, 12:20 PM
0Z06Joe@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

If you are looking for a good OTC wax, then I would go with Meguire's NXT!! I have had bad experiences with TW ICE.... but other's love it. I would go with anything Mothers or Meguire's...
Old 07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
BostonJoel
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Joe
If you are looking for a good OTC wax, then I would go with Meguire's NXT!! I have had bad experiences with TW ICE.... but other's love it. I would go with anything Mothers or Meguire's...
Version 2.0 is available in a lot of chain stores. Greater duration.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Gixxer
I used Zaino on my black Vette with great results but with a family now I don't have time for all of the steps.

I just got a black 06 325i. I don't know what the dealer did as far as buffing/waxing but it looked awesome when I bought it but after only a couple washes the paint is looking pretty bad. Lots of swirl marks and small scratches are showing up.

I am looking for something easy since I don't have much time anymore and I may try Turtle Wax ICE. It seemed to get good reviews here.

Will a few coats of ICE polish touch up those swirl marks or do I need to start over with washing it with dawn, claybar, polish, etc.?

Thanks

The dealer filled the swirl marks with a glaze and put a coat of wax on top. A temp repair that is very common with used car dealers. You can polish them out or cover them up, your choice.....
Old 07-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Gixxer
Racer

I would like to polish them out.

So would this work? Start with NXT and then use ICE over that for a quick easy maintenance that gives a good shine?

Do I need to start from the beginning with a dawn wash, clay, etc.?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

So would this work? Start with NXT and then use ICE over that for a quick easy maintenance that gives a good shine?

Do you have a PC.....?
If so, what colored pads......?

The dawn is not necessary, any good car wash will do. It's always a good idea to clay before a full polish......

Last edited by Dave1; 07-15-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:03 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

?

That's exactly what I do.

NXT 2.0 once a month and ICE liquid polish after every wash (weekly)

The shine/slickness is amazing.

I would advise a good wash (ICE wash is incredible) and clay (claymagic claybar is the best clay I've used and it can be had locally at autozone
Old 07-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Gixxer
Racer

FloydSummerof68- The more I read I wonder if the ICE 'polish' should go on first.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:00 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Look to AIO (All in One) type products for ease of use and best bet using one quick wax. I have a BOGO deal for 360 currently.

http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-360.html
Old 07-15-2008, 06:26 PM
dougatl
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Zaino makes a terrific all in one product for the daily driver. I have a black vette myself and it'll do the job for you. The only other product I would suggest for you is Z8, the grand finale spray, use that to top the all in one product for some extra pop.

doug
Old 07-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Sullivette
Heel & Toe

I would just like to point out that none of the products people have suggested will polish out the swirl marks you have. These products are waxes and sealants. The NXT, Ice, and Zaino products will not remove your swirl marks. The Zaino Z5 will (VERY slightly) fill them in. However, if you want to actually polish the swirls out you will probably need the ZPC by Zaino or SIP by Menzerna. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Gixxer
Racer

So what are the steps I need to do?

wash
clay bar
wash
swirl remover
polish/sealant
wax

Is this the correct order?

Last edited by Gixxer; 07-16-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:33 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

wash --- clay --- polish or paint cleanse --- protect

your steps are correct too, and it looks like you plan to top sealant with wax in correct order too.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:35 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To remove the swirl marks it going to require dedicated paint removal. You have to remove all the paint above the bottom most part of the scratches/swirl marks.

You will need a machine polisher and a lot of time to re-level the paint. After you get it perfect (or better) you can worry about what wax or sealant to use.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Chicago
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by TH0001
To remove the swirl marks it going to require dedicated paint removal. You have to remove all the paint above the bottom most part of the scratches/swirl marks.

You will need a machine polisher and a lot of time to re-level the paint. After you get it perfect (or better) you can worry about what wax or sealant to use.
And if your BMW is Jet Black, the paint is a whole lot softer than a Corvette and gets marred easily. Just ask me how I know.

Get notified of new replies

To Where do I start?

Quick Reply: Where do I start?