Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How do you remove fine scratches in clear coat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:47 AM
biskitman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you remove fine scratches in clear coat?

I have a new 08 I just picked up at NCM in May and I have waxed it once and detail sprayed it a couple of times. I have started to notice those very fine scratches in the clear coat. I know that anytime you rub the car with anything it risks causing these. I always use microfiber towels for anything I do on the paint. I use a leaf blower to dry the car so its not the drying part. Obviously, the microfiber towels arent fool proof but I know of nothing better to use when removing wax with the detail spray. Is there any polymer that will fill these fine scratches or polish that will give the car the wet look with no fine scratches? Am I gonna have to join the Zaino police ranks and do the multistep routine or is there something else?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:57 AM
IndyPacer
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Several coats of any good carnuba wax will fill light surface scratches, sereral coats will prevent them also. If not use G-10, which is a super fine polish, and hand or oribital buffer to remove them.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:03 AM
n77nxc
ZO6 Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy yourself a Flex or PC buffer and some Menzerna SIP. You will be amazed with the results.

Autogeek has everything you need.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:36 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It depends on what you will be using as a "wax" or last step product on your car. As Indy said, any Carnuba wax will do a good job at filling fine scratches. If you're going the Carnuba route, I'd recommend Meguiars # 7 show car glaze under it. The glaze is good for filling and almost nothing will give you a deeper wetter look than a glaze/carnuba combo. The downside is, the looks only last about a month.

The synthetics lay down so thin that they really don't cover or fill well. Also, most of the non-synthetic OTC polishes have so much garbage in them they'll fill anything. Meguairs #2 step polish (red bottle)looks great for a few weeks to a month.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:22 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

A good buffer, some Menzerna 106FF or 106FA will help tremendously on a Vette with very light swirls.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you remove fine scratches in clear coat?

Quick Reply: How do you remove fine scratches in clear coat?