Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Scratches on my new C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:31 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Scratches on my new C6

I am inside the other day, going over the damages incurred inside my house courtesy of Hurricane Dolly. In rushes my oldest son. He's yelling and using language my wife thinks is inappropriate for a young man.

Son - Dad, the fat neighbor's f#%^ing cat is sitting on your new Vette.

Me - William that languange is - what did you just say?

Son - That f@%#ing cat is on your car!!!

Me - F@#%ing cat! My new Vette?!

Go outside and the fat f@#%er is sitting on the car and scratched the rear deck lid. Needless to say - Animal Control has one more kitty to be euthanized - the neighbor was gone for a week, and paid some schmuck to feed the animals and let them out (in the front yard no less). Four cats and a dog running loose through the neighborhood twice a day. Nice. Down to two cats - caught two of them and Animal Control picked them up. Now for the other two and the dog.

They are noticeable (I'll try and take pics tomorrow night), but don't feel deep. Can this area be buffed out with some Menzerna and then resealed?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:45 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

depending on how deep, they probably can or can at least be made better. can you grab the edge of the scratch with you fingernail? if so, thats pretty deep.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:45 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you going to use a PC or rotary?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:25 AM
BLKBLUR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the risk of offending most cat owners, I never understood the idea of putting your cat out at night. If I let my unlicensed dogs run lose at night, they would be at the pound, and I'd fined, etc. Cats are NOT lions in the wild any more. They should be licensed, like dogs, and kept inside, or supervised outside like dogs.

That being said, I feel your pain and hope you can get the scratches out.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:40 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 957 Likes on 472 Posts

A PC can do quite a bit, a rotary in the right hands can do amazing things.
Good luck.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:06 AM
0Autogeek.net
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EVIL_C5
depending on how deep, they probably can or can at least be made better. can you grab the edge of the scratch with you fingernail? if so, thats pretty deep.

I would like to know this as well so we can make proper recommendations.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:32 AM
KBoltz
Drifting

They aren't very deep. Just very noticeable (at least to me) fine white scratches.

I have a UDM that I bought from Autogeek. And the Menzerna line of polishes along with Four Star Sealant.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I would try the UDM and Menzerna, if you cannot feel them and they are pretty light you should do well. Might need an orange pad and SIP, White Pad and SIP, and then grey finishing pad and 106 for best results.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:51 AM
KBoltz
Drifting

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I would try the UDM and Menzerna, if you cannot feel them and they are pretty light you should do well. Might need an orange pad and SIP, White Pad and SIP, and then grey finishing pad and 106 for best results.
Good thing I got all of that stuff from y'all!!!

I am off on Wednesday - will take before and after pics. Should I go ahead and just use the SIP and white pad (saving the orange pad and SIP just for the scratched area) across the whole decklid?
Old 08-10-2008, 01:24 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

don't use the grey finishing pad with the 106. i know it's a finishing polish, but that does not mean to use a finishing pad. i emailed menzerna to get to the bottom of this and they said you have to use a more aggressive pad such as the lake country white pad for the polish to break down properly so it can do it's job.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:15 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by KBoltz

I am off on Wednesday - will take before and after pics. Should I go ahead and just use the SIP and white pad (saving the orange pad and SIP just for the scratched area) across the whole decklid?

yes, that is a great idea, always use the least abrasive method as necessary.

Originally Posted by MarkRx
don't use the grey finishing pad with the 106. i know it's a finishing polish, but that does not mean to use a finishing pad. i emailed menzerna to get to the bottom of this and they said you have to use a more aggressive pad such as the lake country white pad for the polish to break down properly so it can do it's job.
In the case above he will simply be jeweling the paint and a finishing pad and finishing polish is the preferred method. Alot of us have used finishing pads and 106FF and 106FA with nice results and polish broke down properly prior to buffing off.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:21 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KBoltz

Old 08-17-2008, 11:15 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

so you had your neighbor's 2 cats killed by animal control while they were on vacation or did animal control contact the owners?

thats pretty sick.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:00 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Animal Control placed two traps and caught the neighbors cats. Neither cats (she had four of them), nor her dog are licensed, and she was not on vacation - she was staying at a hotel instead of her house after Hurricane Dolly.

She has been cited in the past for not:

1. Licensing her pets (which includes vaccinations)
2. Maintaining control (which means keeping the pets in her yard).
3. Told by Animal Control that if her animals were running free throughout the neighborhood, they would be caught and euthanized. She slammed the door on him. The guy lives in our neighborhood, and walked over to my house afterwards. He could have just trapped them, and sent her the bill for euthanizing them. But instead, he was a nice neighbor and tried to speak with her. This was a few months ago, and she still refuses to be a responsible pet owner.

I always love smelling fresh cat and dog **** in my front yard every morning. She has been asked to maintain her animals in her yard, but refuses to do so. So, whose fault is it? Mine? Or hers?

So please, before making ASSumptions, ask. Leash laws apply to cats as well as dogs in my city. Invisible fences are not expensive and any idiot can put one in.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:13 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

just seemed overly harsh, kill an animal over a few scratches that can be buffed out.

btw, I did ask.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:36 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
just seemed overly harsh, kill an animal over a few scratches that can be buffed out.

btw, I did ask.
No harm, no foul, Bud. I just get tired of irresponsible pet owners. Our city is overrun with feral cats, because owners like my neighbor refuse to be responsible. The cats knock each other up, then have kittens which run loose all over the place. And the cycle continues ad naseum.

Hell, I own three Labrador Retrievers, one black, one chocolate and one yellow. All are supervised, and if they are in the front yard, leashed. Not that they would run or hurt anyone (unless you call slobbering all over someone hurtful), all are obedience trained by me, and one is a retired drug K9. I take responsibility for my animals. This neighbor does not. Lets them out the front door to go take a crap in everyone else's yard but hers. It gets really old, really fast.

The city has cited her several times, yet she refuses to be a responsible owner. Tried to be nice a couple of times to her, to see if that would help, and that was a definitive Charlie Foxtrot.

I have a trap that Animal Control has left for my use. I just trap them now (her other two cats are staying out of my yard for now, the dog on the other hand continues to try and **** in my yard and is too big for the trap) and AC comes and picks them up. I have been averaging two cats per day for the last two weeks. No tags on any of them - all feral.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:00 PM
BLKBLUR
Racer

It's pet owners like HER that give good pet owners like US bad names. I don't blame you. I'm amazed everytime we walk our dogs. There is always a load of poop somewhere that someone doesn't clean up. We ALWAYS clean up, and if we forget to take a bag, we go back and get it. Imagine that!! We're responsible!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Scratches on my new C6

Old 08-25-2008, 06:46 AM
Tzzird
Burning Brakes

Before/after pictures done?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:26 AM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

I think having them euthanized is extremely harsh punishment. You are punishing the cat for the owner's negligence. At the other end of the spectrum you could have trapped the cat, took it to a vet hospital to be boarded and neutered and then given her the bill.
I am very compassionate when it comes to animals.

Would you have done the same if it had been a dog?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:23 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tzzird
Before/after pictures done?
It's either been raining or SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) has a list of Honey DO's and no time.

Quick Reply: Scratches on my new C6