Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black 1996 C4 Vette paint restoration

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:43 AM
Esoteric Detail
Supporting Vendor

Received 463 Likes on 250 Posts

Default Black 1996 C4 Vette paint restoration

When I performed the initial inspection on this Corvette, I knew right away that it was going to experience a remarkable transformation. While readers always enjoy seeing amazing shots of beautiful Exotic vehicles, the ones with the unbelievable before and after shots always get the most attention.

1996 was the last year of the C4 generation Corvette (1984-1996), and the current owner just recently purchased it with 28K miles on the clock with plans to recondition it to as close to new as possible. He ordered a brand new set of wheels and tires (that didn’t arrive before I worked on it), he was having me recondition the paint, and then over the winter he is working on a big sound deadening/stereo install as well. Once he has completed the project it will be one of the nicest C4 drivers around!

As you will see from the photos below, the car had a severe case of swirls and deep, long scratches in the very hard Corvette clear coat. I knew that it was going to require a tremendous amount of work, but it would look stunning once properly leveled and polished out. We opted against a lot of wetsanding, and knew that it could only be brought back to about 90% of new without it, but at that rate it would still look better than most vehicles on the road. You can quickly achieve a point of diminishing returns on paint correction, so it is important to establish goals and expectations with the customer, as well as the budget that they have to work within. A 90% correction on this was 17 hours’ worth, whereas a 98%-100% could have taken 30+ hours.

Now that we’ve established a bit of history as well as goals, let’s go through the inspection to see what we have to work with.

When you have a black car with a notoriously hard clear coat like the Corvette, and it pulls up looking like this, you know you have some overtime to work! Swirls this severe will hide the true color (especially on black), and in this case they made the car look charcoal-grey.

There were holograms mixed throughout as well.

Here you can see where somebody tried to spot-fix a problem, and did more damage than good. Look at the hazy spot in the center of the photo.

The hood was exceptionally bad. You can tell where somebody had attempted to polish the hood in the past, but gave up…leaving a hazy finish. This area would require more work than the rest!

So now you have a good idea of the amount of work that lies ahead.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:44 AM
Esoteric Detail
Supporting Vendor

I prepped the Vette for surgery (wash, clay, tape), and proceeded with a heavy combination of Megs 105 and LC Purple Foamed Wool pads on the Makita rotary. I tried a few lighter combinations first, but they simply weren’t cutting the defects well enough. Despite the fact that I was using a heavy cut combination during the compounding stage, the hard Corvette clear wasn’t giving in easily! Many areas required 3-4 passes before I could move on to the next stage.

For the plastic back end of the vehicle, I used my PCXP with an orange pad and Megs 105. This combination did a good job of cleaning up the defects.

If you look closely you can see some sizable scratches mixed in with the swirls. The whole car was covered in these.

I hit this section 3 or 4 times with PFW/105 to clean it all up (sorry for the fuzzy photo)

After compounding, you can tell that the color has been restored already. Clarity will be brought out when I come back around for finish polishing.

Megs 105 around a lot of taped edges means dust…lots of dust!

Once I was finished with the compounding stage, I washed the car again to remove all of the dust and carrier oils and got it ready for polishing.

For the next stage, I used Menzerna Power Finish on a white pad with the Makita rotary. Power Finish provides almost as much cut as SIP, and does a tremendous job of restoring clarity on the hard Corvette clear. Since it finishes down almost as fine as 106FA, having it combined with a white polishing pad left the finish LSP ready. If it were softer black paint however, I would have finished it down with 106FA instead.

Since the hood was in such bad condition, I went with a slightly different combination. After compounding with M105/PFW, I went with SIP/orange pad, then 106FA/white pad. Since I wanted to extract as much gloss as possible out of it, I then finished it up with PO85RD and a blue pad.

Here’s a peak at the hood when I took it outside for an inspection after the 106FF/white combination. Don’t worry about the polish smudges…I haven’t gone through the cleanup stage yet.

After all the polishing was complete, I wiped it all down (again) with IPA, did all of the finishing touches, applied a coat of Optimum Opti-Seal, and then buffed it out with Optimum Spray Wax.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:45 AM
Esoteric Detail
Supporting Vendor

Are you ready to see the transformation? On a few of these I’ll take you back to what it looked like before so you can get a real appreciation for the change.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After: Look at the difference in color!

Exhaust tips were polished with Optimum Metal Polish

I’m going to get a bit carried away with some of these photos, but I think you’re going to enjoy them all…

Old 12-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Esoteric Detail
Supporting Vendor

Remember how hazy the hood looked when we received it? Does this look just a little bit better?

This one might be my favorite shot of all…just like glass!

Old 12-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Esoteric Detail
Supporting Vendor

I wanted to take a few moody shots, so I pulled it back in the garage and liked what I came up with.

And the last few…

The owner was absolutely floored by the results, and after spending some time teaching him about the after-care of his new Vette, he looks forward to keeping it looking this nice for many years to come.

Thanks for taking the time to review my work. Total time on this exterior-only job = 17 hours.

All products supplied by Detailed Image!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:35 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,643 Likes on 2,192 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Nice job Black is a real challenge but very rewarding when you do it right
Old 12-04-2009, 08:45 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stunning work Todd! Great to meet you last week while I was in town.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Looks like brand new paint.......

Very nice work.......
Old 12-04-2009, 02:40 PM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

The owner was absolutely floored by the results, and after spending some time teaching him about the after-care of his new Vette, he looks forward to keeping it looking this nice for many years to come.

You are a true professional. What is the best way to keep it looking like this? I am so jealous. I have a '06 black Z that looks great in the garage but when the sun hits it you can see the defects. I will try to correct in the spring but I doubt it will get anywhere near this perfect. I wish you were in western NY to do mine.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Mrs. glass car
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW!! That owner is lucky he found you. You added 5 grand to that cars value.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 632 Likes on 238 Posts

absolutely beautiful! Fantastic job. Would you mind Pm'ing me what that exact job cost?
Old 12-05-2009, 01:59 AM
DaBum
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome job and outstanding results!
Old 12-05-2009, 04:19 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great paint renovation detail TSC17
Old 12-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Esoteric Detail
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by capevettes
Nice job Black is a real challenge but very rewarding when you do it right
Thank you. Yes, a lot more sweat equity goes into black, but it sure does look nice when done properly.

Originally Posted by gmblack3
Stunning work Todd! Great to meet you last week while I was in town.
Thanks Bryan, and likewise. Next time I need to work out my schedule so that we can work on a project together.

Originally Posted by Dave1
Looks like brand new paint.......

Very nice work.......
Thank you!

Originally Posted by 97Black

You are a true professional. What is the best way to keep it looking like this? I am so jealous. I have a '06 black Z that looks great in the garage but when the sun hits it you can see the defects. I will try to correct in the spring but I doubt it will get anywhere near this perfect. I wish you were in western NY to do mine.
Thank you! It's all about Proper Washing and Drying Techniques...plain and simple. If you use proper materials and techniques, you can keep a finish like this looking great for a long time.

Originally Posted by glass car
WOW!! That owner is lucky he found you. You added 5 grand to that cars value.
Thank you. Yes, added value is one of the big keys here, and something that I talk about a lot. Proper maintenance can help you hold the value of a vehicle, and restoration work like this can easily increase the value.

Originally Posted by Stingray23
absolutely beautiful! Fantastic job. Would you mind Pm'ing me what that exact job cost?
Thank you.

Originally Posted by DaBum
Awesome job and outstanding results!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Great paint renovation detail TSC17
Thanks as well.

Last edited by Esoteric Detail; 12-10-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:30 PM
0Detailed Image
Former Vendor

Todd as always your work is top notch and enjoyable to read about. Great job and thank you for sharing!

Greg @ DI
Old 12-06-2009, 02:27 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

this car looks great!!!! awesome job
Old 12-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Black
Todd, you should show him detailing pictures of my car.

Get notified of new replies

To Black 1996 C4 Vette paint restoration

Old 12-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Esoteric Detail
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Wah
Todd, you should show him detailing pictures of my car.
Ask and ye shall receive: 2008 Black Z06
Old 12-08-2009, 03:56 PM
WishboneZ51
Instructor

Todd, what a great job. I love detailing as well to my car and love to see great stories such as this. Thank you so much for posting this for all to see, it really goes to show what proper detailing can do to a ride.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:24 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 201 Posts

The qtr panels are the "money" shots!!!

Originally Posted by TSC17
Before:

After: Look at the difference in color!

Quick Reply: Black 1996 C4 Vette paint restoration