Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Micro marring...what to use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Micro marring...what to use?

My new c6 has some on the hood and front quarters. Mainly pn all top surfaces. What can I use to help get rid of this....not by hand...not machine.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 01:39 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonefishmak
not by hand...not machine.

I suggest standing next to it and throwing Meguiars 105 at it by the handful?

Seriously though, please clarify.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bonefishmak
My new c6 has some on the hood and front quarters. Mainly pn all top surfaces. What can I use to help get rid of this....not by hand...not machine.

Thanks
Sorry it was late when i posted. Lol. I will be doing it by hand NOT machine.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 09:30 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I have never personally seen alot of success in hand polishing the Vettes hard clearcoating. It needs a machine and polishes (Menzerna, Wolfgang, Megs) which really work well on this harder coating to correct. Dont be afraid of using a machine, you will see even novice first time users come away happy and continue on to even better and better results. Its worth the time and effort.

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html
Old 10-24-2010, 12:57 PM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try using a machine with a LC black pad with Menzerna PO 85RD. But pictures will help also.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:44 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomzoom [email
mazda5@properautocare.com[/email];1575716866]Try using a machine with a LC black pad with Menzerna PO 85RD. But pictures will help also.
I am trying that approach on my z06. Having some work done later next month and I'm sure a few "work on" scratches will appear. The above suggested method "should" take out the micro marring. You'll need a machine.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Qwiksilver
Instructor

try some Zaino first, check their web site for which product, still the best for hand application that I have ever used
Old 10-25-2010, 11:31 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwiksilver
try some Zaino first, check their web site for which product, still the best for hand application that I have ever used
zaino won't remove those marks
Old 10-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

I am going to try some Pinnalce Paint cleansing to "knock" the edges of the micro marring off as it says on the website followed by sealant and wax to see where that gets me. They are not always visible except in the sunlight at the right angle. Not in my garage and not under flourscent light..at least not after hours of trying to see them that way. I am going to get more lighting for my garage. I can only do so much since it is rented at my apartment.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Good luck. You might be able to fill them with product by hand, but actually correcting them... Correcting vette clear by hand is a bit like using a cigarette lighter to roast a whole pig.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:49 PM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Kale
Good luck. You might be able to fill them with product by hand, but actually correcting them... Correcting vette clear by hand is a bit like using a cigarette lighter to roast a whole pig.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

As I mentioned trying to knock the edges off so, light does not show it so, easy...NOT correct it completely...with hand work. I have not picked up a machine to do paint work in 20 years or maybe 15. Then they were not my cars..I did it for a used car lot after some brief training. So mistakes, if made, were not on my vehicle. While I don't like what I have on mine I don't really want to spend money on a machine, pads, etc to practice on a $50k car that I just made payment 1. Once it's done it's done..or at least it's going to take twice as much work to fix. I will gladly purchase a machine and pads AFTER I go to a class or someone is willing to show me exactly what to do. I don't want to practice on my other vehicle as it is a lease and I'll pay for that problem..and pretty sure the g/f ain't going to let me practice on hers.

I guess I should have said I am looking to do what I can by hand until I get or see some training on how to use a machine..by a knowledgeable person...on a practice car. I get it...by a machine and do it..only way too. For now I'll have to do what I can..and try to hit a class that I see properautocare has from time to time. When I did this 15+ years ago someone was standing right beside me to make sure what I did was exactly what they showed me....and then I got used to it. Which pads..chemical. Guess I am not the one to just jump in...and try to learn on my car.

If the clearcoat is so hard I don't understand why I would have scratches...I guess 8 months on a lot and not the greatest wash jobs? Just thinking if it is that hard..had to be something other than a wash that scratched it...

So..anyone want to come to MD to show me what I apparently need to learn? If there is a detailer, class or something out there..I am all ears to learn...I'll be lunch or beer or pay for the class.

Thanks again guys..I do appreciate it...
Old 10-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

zoomzoom

Ill see if I can get some pics as requested....they are kind of hard to see unless it is in the sun with teh correct angle.

killrwheels

The dual action polisher looks interesting. I think the one I used was two head many years back. I assume this is the same as the two head did the "jiggling"

The reason I am so cautious I can not tell you how many cars I see with the swirl marks made from a machine on the side of cars going up and down the highway. Hell there are people here in my company with NICE cars...and I walk out and see them when the sun hits them. Holy crap....it's scary...and sad to see such nice cars ruined by detailers/dealer prep, etc. I don't want to be that person...as I don't want to watch me..a grown man cry..as I see I just ruined my car.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Yes, the Vette clear coat is so incredibly hard that it is virtually impossible to correct by hand and time-consuming to correct by DA machine.

Yet it's also extremely easy to scratch. Get any unlubricated debris between a soft cloth and the paint and it's scratch town.

Or an improper drying towel. Or improper washing pad/mit/cloth. Seconds to damage hours to fix.

A DA polisher is a lot different than the (i assume) rotary you are used to. It's pretty hard to screw up the paint with a DA because it does so very little correction on Vette clear. Pretty much the only danger is dropping the side of the polisher on the paint.

Even when I first started with my DA I never made buffer swirls or holograms with it. There's a ton of info in this forum from our several vendors that outline which materials/pads/polishers to use. Good place to start learning.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

Yes, the Vette clear coat is so incredibly hard that it is virtually impossible to correct by hand and time-consuming to correct by DA machine.

Yet it's also extremely easy to scratch. Get any unlubricated debris between a soft cloth and the paint and it's scratch town.

Or an improper drying towel. Or improper washing pad/mit/cloth. Seconds to damage hours to fix.

A DA polisher is a lot different than the (i assume) rotary you are used to. It's pretty hard to screw up the paint with a DA because it does so very little correction on Vette clear. Pretty much the only danger is dropping the side of the polisher on the paint.

Even when I first started with my DA I never made buffer swirls or holograms with it. There's a ton of info in this forum from our several vendors that outline which materials/pads/polishers to use. Good place to start learning.
So...I guess I should ask Santa for it? Hmmm..I have not been very good this year....guess I'll wait for my tax return..let's see...I need the polisher, tint, clear bra..maybe, HUD...holy crap..I have a problem.

Which brings me to another question...clear bra? the clear type that is attached to your car..I guess like tint? Anyone? I notice, given the whole front end is basically paint, I am going to see nicks, rock chips and alot of bugs. Do you just wash your car off after every drive to remove the bugs? Would a clear bra be a good idea? I know normal ones tend to rub and cause issues. Had one..won't ever do that again.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Kale
Team Owner

You should definitely get rid of bugs immediately. There are some great products - like Poorboy's Bug Squash. You squirt it on the bugs then you wash your car with the normal 2 bucket method (1 bucket with soap, 1 bucket with water for rinsing the sponge/mit/etc)

If there are a lot of bugs, it's a good idea to reapply your wax/sealant to that area too. Bug guts eat right through wax and clear coat.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

You should definitely get rid of bugs immediately. There are some great products - like Poorboy's Bug Squash. You squirt it on the bugs then you wash your car with the normal 2 bucket method (1 bucket with soap, 1 bucket with water for rinsing the sponge/mit/etc)

If there are a lot of bugs, it's a good idea to reapply your wax/sealant to that area too. Bug guts eat right through wax and clear coat.

Got the two bucket method dealo down and like it!

Understand on the bugs. My biggest problem is living in apt complex with NO hose hook up. I can hit the pay thing to get them off..and I am going to work on my ONR skills to resolve also.

That's why I was thinking clear bra...bugs and rock chips....

Get notified of new replies

To Micro marring...what to use?

Old 10-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Kale
Team Owner

There you go then. Hit them with the poorboys bug squash (or similar) then wash off with ONR.

The clear bra will buy you time on the bugs, but I still wouldn't let them rest long.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

Yep...I think I have einzsett bug stuff but, I may pick PB too and I believe I may ONR..practice practice!

Yeah..I am only looking for something to a little less damage to actual paint..as I can peel the clear off I assume and replace. Alot easier than repainting..at least I assume. I'll be learning about that shortly too!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:57 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

With a random orbital buffer and some patience and care you will not harm your car, well unless you throw the machine at it. You use extra care on corners and you can mask tape the edges for extra protection. Trust me ... you can do it and you wont harm a car. We are not suggesting a rotary polisher that cuts quicker and transfer alot of heat.

If you dont choose to polish by machine, then consider paint cleansing lotions (Pinnacle, P21S, Dodo Juice) to clean and prep paint. They lightly (and temporarily) hide swirls but not a long term solution. You can also consider a glaze to temporarily hide swirls. If using a paint sealant (synthetic wax) then consider a product like Poorboys Blackhole Glaze which is compatible.

Either way were gonna make the other vehicles in your parking lot jealous of your ride and your finish !!!

PS ... Two headed polisher = Cyclo

Quick Reply: Micro marring...what to use?