Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Opinions on tire dressing

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 11:12 AM
jeterarodyks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on tire dressing

Hey guys! Luv posting on here and getting all opinions esp from Autogeek....great stuff n info!! So thanks ahead of time .....

TIRE DRESSING~~

I have been running my own little detail business and just curious on everyones thoughts on tire dressing.

Personally I guess I am going against the current trend of less shine on the tire and more the clean dealer look. I really like the high wet shine though of a GEL and it lasts forever....nice slick, wet look, black shine. I know the saying of "the tire shouldnt outshine the paint of the car" but it just seems to me when I have used afew of the current LOW-SHINE dressings that the overall look of the car loses something....sorta like no cherry on top of the cake.....just my opinion.....

Which GEL do you suggest?? Mequires I like...no sling either ......Which dressings do you guys all use or like?????
Old 02-06-2011, 12:57 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I often change tire dressings quite quickly as sometimes I want a nice matte finish. Other times I want a bold dressing. And finally sometimes I too go against the grain with super gloss. I typically refrain from gels specifically because they spit unless you rewipe them about 10 minutes after initial application. A tire should also be cleaned properly first with a good brush and APC to remove old dirt and tire dressings. The other key, besides a thin even coat, is to make sure all water is removed from the tire ribbing before any application.

matte --- 303 Protectant, Optimum Tire Spray
bold --- Optimums Opticoat Lotion, Ultima Tire and Trim Guard, Einszett Vinyl and Tire, Poorboys Bright and Bold
gloss --- Megs High Endurance Spray or Gel, Stoners More Shine Less Time (2 coats), or Megs NXT Insane Shine, DP Tire Gel

http://www.autogeek.net/rubbervinyl.html
Old 02-06-2011, 04:47 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,953 Likes on 4,825 Posts

I like the clean, new look that 303 gives to the tires.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm like you on this I don't like matt finish tyres ! I'm defiantly on the other team here. If I could make my tires look like glass I'd be happy. They just look finished off and sexy in gloss ! I'm using Megs endurance high gloss. It smells like a plum and anything matt black gets hit with this stuff. Only problem any water hits it gets washed away. Stewy
Old 02-06-2011, 07:41 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
I'm like you on this I don't like matt finish tyres ! I'm defiantly on the other team here. If I could make my tires look like glass I'd be happy. They just look finished off and sexy in gloss ! I'm using Megs endurance high gloss. It smells like a plum and anything matt black gets hit with this stuff. Only problem any water hits it gets washed away. Stewy
it now comes in an aerosol also :

http://autogeek.net/endurance-tire-dressing.html
Old 02-06-2011, 08:16 PM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

These are great for the detailed in mine: Meguiars D170 Hyper Dressing and Optimum Tire Shine . These fine products come in gallons and can be dilute to help being the cost down for you in the long run.

Last edited by zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com; 02-06-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
it now comes in an aerosol also :

http://autogeek.net/endurance-tire-dressing.html
I saw your site with the aerosol but under it looks like a trigger pack as well ? Which one is it trigger pack or aerosol or both ? I have to get my hands on them Stewy
Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

I saw your site with the aerosol but under it looks like a trigger pack as well ? Which one is it trigger pack or aerosol or both ? I have to get my hands on them Stewy
The link is indeed an aerosol version. It is an update to the original gel formula. I recently had a chance to use it and its very glossy.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

The link is indeed an aerosol version. It is an update to the original gel formula. I recently had a chance to use it and its very glossy.
But on your link it shows a trigger pack as well underneath the aero ?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:54 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

But on your link it shows a trigger pack as well underneath the aero ?
it is indeed being released in three versions. Sorry !
Old 02-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

it is indeed being released in three versions. Sorry !
When you used it did you have to wipe it as well or did you spray it on and presto chango alakazo it was all done ! LOL Stewy
Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

When you used it did you have to wipe it as well or did you spray it on and presto chango alakazo it was all done ! LOL Stewy
Any of the thicker gels and sprays are best being wiped around 10 minutes after application to avoid spitting onto paint. This spray is rather thick for an aerosol and need to be careful to avoid wheels on low profile tires.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Any of the thicker gels and sprays are best being wiped around 10 minutes after application to avoid spitting onto paint. This spray is rather thick for an aerosol and need to be careful to avoid wheels on low profile tires.
Wiping the tyres with a gel is a P in the A and generally totals the applicator. So a spray will be great...............Stewy
Old 02-06-2011, 09:17 PM
jsnapp13
Racer

KY Events Coordinator
Default Tires

Final detail tire lotion. Wipe on.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:52 PM
jeterarodyks
Instructor

hmmm I never had the spit problem from the GEL...stuck on there like glue even after Id use 2 coats...id do a quick wipe afterwards to get any excess off but man did those stay shiny and wet for weeks....Think ill try POOR BOYS....I have thier chrome wheel sealant..its like pink candy in a jar..great stuff....

Well im glad im not the only one who dares the bold look...My tires are low profile Pirellie though now and I havent used the gel on them yet...just used a matte finish....def going to try Poor Boys...

Have you guys heard of FADE TO BLACK spray can dressing??? Chem Guys sell it....I bought some but yet to try it..probly just going to use on the trim and not my tires though...WET DARK GEL for me there!!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 PM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I do my sdrawkcab, opps, I mean BACKWARDS! In the sense thatI clean the tires, let dry, apply product- (I use meguires gel- VERY wet looking.) I then wash the rest of the car, then wipe off tire gel with a junk rag, then scrub rims and lightly reclean tires, and dry entire vehicle, finishing with tires (rewipe). This works for me... although VERY backwards vs directions. I am left with a BLACK tire, not much shine, and NO flying of product onto panels. Finish by polishing wheels, and your set!!!

Try if you dare- the neighbors will be staring, pointing, and laughing at you! But it works for me!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jeterarodyks
hmmm I never had the spit problem from the GEL...stuck on there like glue even after Id use 2 coats...id do a quick wipe afterwards to get any excess off but man did those stay shiny and wet for weeks....Think ill try POOR BOYS....I have thier chrome wheel sealant..its like pink candy in a jar..great stuff....

Well im glad im not the only one who dares the bold look...My tires are low profile Pirellie though now and I havent used the gel on them yet...just used a matte finish....def going to try Poor Boys...

Have you guys heard of FADE TO BLACK spray can dressing??? Chem Guys sell it....I bought some but yet to try it..probly just going to use on the trim and not my tires though...WET DARK GEL for me there!!

For trim specifically look to Ultima Tire and Trim Care. You will find no more durable protectant other than a permanent or dye type product. Its costly but you wont apply much and it lasts and lasts.

Another hint, to keep your wheelwells looking good to match your wheels and tire, use a quick cheap aerosol protectant spray. Makes them nice and black and helps to create a nice clean and uniform look.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on tire dressing

Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

I always get people commenting on my cars at car shows from the stance and finished off wheels that draw them to looking at the car. I had a mate who has a 65 Mustang it's a twin of mine and when in a car show they always take the photo of mine. The only difference is mine is only one inch lower at the front and glossy tyres. His is clean matt I can only put it down to the tyres it does make them look that little more finished off ? Stewy
Old 02-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Cheap aerosol PROTECTANT SPRAY ! Any brands you recommend . Stewy
Old 02-08-2011, 08:40 AM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

We do have Vendor's in your country that sell great products in car care. Just PM me for a link.

Quick Reply: Opinions on tire dressing