Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

White Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default White Dashboard

I did a search and found other forum members are having the same problem even after detailing the dash the WHITE comes back WTF anybody have any solutions? Thanks in advance
Old 04-19-2011, 07:22 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be product residue, what are you using to clean the dashboard ?

Interior Vinyl

Including the dashboard urethane finished leather and door cards - periodically clean using Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger' an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner for urethane covered upholstery and vinyl trim, that removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore the original texture, tactile feel and resiliency. Silicon-free (Silicon oil formulations are build-up type products which accelerate heat damage) interior cleaners for all vinyl / plastic parts reliably prevents electrostatic charges creating a dust repellent surface.

And then apply a suitable matte type dressing (G Techniq C4 Trim Restorer or Iz Cockpit Premium) to ensure that there is no reflection on the windshield, thus reducing visibility.

Alternate with a UVR protection (303™ Space Protectant or Optimum Protectant Plus) especially to the dash and any other surface that is subjected to sunlight on a regular basis. Note that there are no surface cleaners in this product
Old 04-19-2011, 06:33 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
I did a search and found other forum members are having the same problem even after detailing the dash the WHITE comes back WTF anybody have any solutions? Thanks in advance
I have heard of the whiting on dash and doors. What became obvious is these cars were not being cared for properly. Even basic wiping down of the entire with light cleaner will avoid it. I would also suggest a good protectant (Einszett, Megs, 303) to even help and work better.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:34 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I have heard of the whiting on dash and doors. What became obvious is these cars were not being cared for properly. Even basic wiping down of the entire with light cleaner will avoid it. I would also suggest a good protectant (Einszett, Megs, 303) to even help and work better.
By applying a light cleaner and a protectant such as the above will solve the problem and the white won't come back? Are the dash and door panels made from real leather? If they are I would think that they could be treated as such. Thanks for the reply. I'm at the point of going to the dealer and having them replace the dash and door panels . We shouldn't have these problems unless we put something on it to cause the reaction. My C6Z06 doesn't see long exposure to the sun and is very low miles. I haven't put anything on it except an quick hit of air and a horse haired bush to clean the vents of dust.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:54 PM
speedster516
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The white residue is the material of the dash out gassing. The door panel tops are made out of the same material. Wipe down with wet micro fiber towel and it will be all good. My car does the same thing as do many others. Good luck
Old 04-20-2011, 05:30 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
By applying a light cleaner and a protectant such as the above will solve the problem and the white won't come back? Are the dash and door panels made from real leather? If they are I would think that they could be treated as such. Thanks for the reply. I'm at the point of going to the dealer and having them replace the dash and door panels . We shouldn't have these problems unless we put something on it to cause the reaction. My C6Z06 doesn't see long exposure to the sun and is very low miles. I haven't put anything on it except an quick hit of air and a horse haired bush to clean the vents of dust.
As offered the plastics used on Vettes out-gas and can produce a whitish coloring. Best best is to clean often (monthly) and protect bimonthly. Ive never had the whiting effect but then again, I clean the interior on a normal basis.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 AM
ASPHALT ROCKET
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a constant problem with the newer vettes, my 05 use to do it all the time regardless of how often i treated the dash and other panels. So far on my new Z06 I haven't had any problems with it turning white.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:36 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something that is rarely considered with a new car- the vinyl used on vehicle dashboards contain diethylhexyl phthalate (DEHP) plasticizers, these low molecular weight compounds maintain semi-rigid vinyl’s flexibility. The vinyl used in modern vehicle interiors vent (out-gassing) these are the plasticizers evaporating (more prevalent on newer vehicles or a dash with freshly applied vinyl dressing) Crack open vehicle windows when parked to allow the gasses to vent and do not use any yinyl protection product on a new vehicle for fifteen days or so.

Ultra violet (UV-A) heat radiation will also cause the plasticizers to dry out, resulting in a chemical film that when combined with road oils, dirt and grease introduced via by the vehicles AC system or smoker's residue, which results in a stubborn haze or fog that forms a cohesive bond with the interior glass surfaces.

Get notified of new replies

To White Dashboard

Quick Reply: White Dashboard