Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Explain 90/10 drag shock

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:24 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Default Explain 90/10 drag shock

I thought this meant the shock is made where the compression is set at 90% of the rebound. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:38 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Originally Posted by robz
I thought this meant the shock is made where the compression is set at 90% of the rebound. Thanks for any help.
90/10 basically means that your shock has 9 times more resistence to compression than it has for expansion.. This means that the shock expands easy, helping to bring the front up on acceleration so that all the weight will sit on the rear wheels. The high resistance on the way down helps to dampen the shock of the front end coming down..

here's a launch with 90/10 front shocks:

Old 09-17-2007, 10:41 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

90%/10%. The shock has only 10% resistance to extension, to allow the front of the car to rise and transfer weight easily. It has 90% resistance to compression to keep the front end up. If the compression were 90% of the rebound, there would only be a 10% difference in the resistance compression vs rebound. With a 90/10 shock there is a 90% difference.

RACE ON!!!
Old 09-17-2007, 10:43 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

So when you adjust the rebound on a front (90/10) shock are you changing that ratio slightly.
Also, if you have double adjustable shock in front that can independently adjust compression and rebound what would set them at with respect to one another.
I guess I'm trying to figure out how to make a fully adjustable shock with dual ***** into a 90/10 shock for the drag strip.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:26 PM
0Doug@MorosoPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not be too concerned with getting a 90/10 ratio on your shocks, getting a setting that works with your car is more important. You want the front shocks to extend as quickly as possible and hold there until you no longer need the weight transfer to maintain traction. You than want the front to compress to minimize drag. The settings also have to maintain stability and not sacrifice handling.
I have double adjustable on the front and rear with 16 increments for both compression and extension. As this car is a daily driver and spends time on the road course and drag strip I could probably spend a couple of years making adjustments.
For drag racing you should start conservatively. Assuming you have 12 increments with 12 having the most resistance set the compression at 8 and extension 4. You can continue to decrease the extension setting as long as the car remains stable, then set the compression to bring the front down as soon as you are hooked up. Having someone tape your runs and watching the how the car reacts to the changes will be most helpfull.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:12 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Doug@MorosoPerformance
I would not be too concerned with getting a 90/10 ratio on your shocks, getting a setting that works with your car is more important. You want the front shocks to extend as quickly as possible and hold there until you no longer need the weight transfer to maintain traction. You than want the front to compress to minimize drag. The settings also have to maintain stability and not sacrifice handling.
I have double adjustable on the front and rear with 16 increments for both compression and extension. As this car is a daily driver and spends time on the road course and drag strip I could probably spend a couple of years making adjustments.
For drag racing you should start conservatively. Assuming you have 12 increments with 12 having the most resistance set the compression at 8 and extension 4. You can continue to decrease the extension setting as long as the car remains stable, then set the compression to bring the front down as soon as you are hooked up. Having someone tape your runs and watching the how the car reacts to the changes will be most helpfull.
Thanks Doug and everyone who responed.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:24 PM
tensecvet
Burning Brakes

ROBZ stepping up
Old 09-20-2007, 12:36 AM
cyclerage23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drop that stiff Z06 spring to
Old 09-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 212 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclerage23
drop that stiff Z06 spring to
Jason, you still alive?? LOL

Rob, your 60' times are already by far the lowest around for your set up. Don't fix what ain't broken!!!!

Ron
Old 09-20-2007, 07:49 PM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So how much of an improvement would drag shocks give me? Say compared to c6z shocks. My stock shocks are squeaking quite a bit and don't know which way to go for new ones.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:30 AM
BLOWNBLUEC5
Racer

as long as you can actually shift the car rob you'll be fine with what you got now.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:53 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Who said the shock question was for me?
Now that my grenaded tranny is on my workbench and not in my car, the car should shift better.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:26 PM
0Doug@MorosoPerformance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nickolbag
So how much of an improvement would drag shocks give me? Say compared to c6z shocks. My stock shocks are squeaking quite a bit and don't know which way to go for new ones.
It sounds like you drive your car on the street. Drag shocks are not for use on the street. If you want a street/ strip shock you need shocks that you can adjust for the occasion. The improvement you would see from changing shocks would depend on a multitude of things, but would probably be minimal unless your cars suspension is modified.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:42 PM
BLOWNBLUEC5
Racer

sounds good rob..see you on the 20th???
Old 09-21-2007, 12:58 PM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by nickolbag
I saw maybe a .04 -.05 in short going from OEM Z fronts to 90/10 fronts, no sway bar. BLUFF makes it more consistant IMO, and does make the transfer more pronounced. The car will feal loose with that 90/10 and no sway bar as well.

Rob, hell yea, and I was hoping you would see 1.3 short. Hell I wanted to see a 1.40 and squeek you by a bit, by my style (or lack of) launches is being hard on rear ends. You man, have the luanch perfect and I realy need to watch more of your launches man. No, your big end, well, you are just in a league beyond most of us other drivers Take care man and good luck with your tranny (

Dave
Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chiefDave
I saw maybe a .04 -.05 in short going from OEM Z fronts to 90/10 fronts, no sway bar. BLUFF makes it more consistant IMO, and does make the transfer more pronounced. The car will feal loose with that 90/10 and no sway bar as well.

Rob, hell yea, and I was hoping you would see 1.3 short. Hell I wanted to see a 1.40 and squeek you by a bit, by my style (or lack of) launches is being hard on rear ends. You man, have the luanch perfect and I realy need to watch more of your launches man. No, your big end, well, you are just in a league beyond most of us other drivers Take care man and good luck with your tranny (

Dave
I hear ya Dave, cuttin' a 1.3x on the stock suspension would be a nice feat. There's still a chance but it's a long shot. Best is 1.411.
The new tranny feels good, I just need to break in the clutch tonight and my car should be ready barring any catastophies.
Here's one for ya Dave.
View My Video

Blownbluec5:
I'm lookin to run 10.50 in Oct. so I will likely spectate at the 11.50 or run the 10.0 for fun.

Last edited by robz; 09-21-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:53 PM
BLOWNBLUEC5
Racer

Get notified of new replies

To Explain 90/10 drag shock

Old 09-21-2007, 02:32 PM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Rob man!!!
Thanks man, and I have seen that one maybe 50 times??? When I am in durka durka stan, I tend to watch all the Vette vids I have, over and over again. I have not seen that one in 12 months maybe but it is still a clasic. Man I can not get over how smooth yuor launch is, realy damn nice man and getting it done.

Seems like I was doing better with a worn out clutch as it's release was fast, but it was not clamping and shocking the rear like I seem to be getting now. Damn I gota retrain my lunch I think and make it more of a slip again, and stop tryin got get an et in the 60, and get it done at the big end, sighs, or more HP to make up for my driving, who knows...

Thanks again man, great times as always man.
Dave
Old 09-21-2007, 02:53 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Rob man!!!
Thanks man, and I have seen that one maybe 50 times??? When I am in durka durka stan, I tend to watch all the Vette vids I have, over and over again. I have not seen that one in 12 months maybe but it is still a clasic. Man I can not get over how smooth yuor launch is, realy damn nice man and getting it done.

Seems like I was doing better with a worn out clutch as it's release was fast, but it was not clamping and shocking the rear like I seem to be getting now. Damn I gota retrain my lunch I think and make it more of a slip again, and stop tryin got get an et in the 60, and get it done at the big end, sighs, or more HP to make up for my driving, who knows...

Dave
I don't always come out straight like that!
Thanks for all your service buddy.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 212 Likes on 163 Posts

Rob man!!!

Dave
That WAS a very good run Robert, I must say! I think the rear rims bounced off the track as she moved out!!! LOL
Not gonna run the 11.50 pilot race???

Chief Dave, Rob usually runs with close to zero psi in the rears. Not for the faint of heart!

Ron

Quick Reply: Explain 90/10 drag shock