Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

The Birds was for the Birds....lol...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 04:10 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 315 Likes on 141 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default The Birds was for the Birds....lol...

I raced this event last weekend, as advertised...had a lot of fun but was in the way mostly, as usual lately...five of us got to pit together so it was kinda cool...I made the 3 hour tow on Thursday afternoon along with two other guys on this forum...Rick and Mike...Rick brought his blue C4 and Mike his Malibu wagon...later that night another buddy came over with his Malibu wagon and his son's S-10...we unloaded and headed out for dinner and the hotel...

Friday morning the weather was very cool for us down here...58*..brrrrr...everyone was flying except for yours truly...I went 6.41 on my time shot expecting to go 6.32...I was 32 on the tree...I guess I pulled one of those subconscious lift deals again...fooey!..they call me up for first round but what do I dial?....hmmmmm?...I put 6.38 on mine and hope for the best...I line up with Matt Daddas who is a nationally known killer...talk about pulling in the lanes badly...he he he....

The tree drops and, lo and behold, I am 12 to his 47...he hardly ever misses...of course, I get to the stripe and see he is not going to get there...only one reason why since he was dialed 6.04...I am going way too fast...I catch his drop and whomp the tar out of my junk...dagnabbit!....I go 2 thou under for the loss...my slip said I was going a 6.35...buy back window for me and on to round next...

In round two I miss the tree completely with a 76 light and am all done for the day...my truck went 4.07 to the 330' and 6.38 to the 1/8 mile...dinner and hotel for me...

Saturday dawns sunny and a little warmer...I run 6.38 on my time shot with a slow 46 tree...anyway I line up with a young guy in his firebird dialed 7.47...I know him and he is good...I put 6.38 on mine since it seems to want to run that number...as soon as I let go I know I missed it...yup, he is 8 to my 72...see ya later, Dan...qwap!...I run it out and go...6.38 again...now if I could only drive...sigh...I buy back once again...

Round two is against another S-10...I miss the tree with a 51 but he was apparently ordering a cheesburger when the tree dropped ...he as 180 so I killed 10 MPH for the win...next round I was slow on the tree again with a 48 for the loss but went 6.38 once again...sigh...this is getting old...I have already raised the pressure in my skinnies to 42 lbs...time for another adjustment...my buddy broke his dime so I am off to the parts store and dinner...

Sunday morning and both my friends cars are down...the S-10 and his Dad's wagon...sheesh...Mike and I go up for first round since they cancelled our time shot due to impending weather...Now I make two mistakes...it is warmer and with a headwind so I figure I will slow down...I misread my opponents dial in the staging lanes thinking he is going 6.74...I reach down and change my dial on the pad inside my truck to 6.42...we do our burn outs and then I am in trouble...I look up and see he is dialed 6.44...oops!...then I see my dial is 6.38...huh?...I know immediately what I did...if I change my dial inside my truck without the ignition on it will not change it on the outside dial board...I know better but goofed up anyway...

So I am stuck with a dial I cannot run ...we leave almost together and he is 33 to my 41...oh yeah, I put another shim in my adjustable button...no bueno...I have my foot in the radiator and go 6.43 for the loss...Mike broke something in his suspension and had to lift for the loss...we all loaded up and made our way back to the east coast...Rick did not run Sunday and left about 9AM for home...

Next up, if my friends get their junk fixed, is the No one fights Alone event at Gainesville this coming weekend...we'll see...

A couple of pics from the Birds...first is Rick then me...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 11-27-2023 at 04:15 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fuzzy Dice:
Bobbo76 (11-27-2023), C5 Pete (11-27-2023), Coronette (11-27-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 09:14 AM
AAFC
Emerging Vendor

Received 77 Likes on 55 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified

Default The birds

Well Dan, I look like you are running good, little things can mess you up. But I have to say you had fun
everytime you run and learn more about your "DIME".
Hope to see you at Ganisville this weekend
John
Old 11-27-2023, 12:04 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 315 Likes on 141 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks John...yup, I had a ball like always...one of these days I'll get it right...lol...hope to see you this weekend as well...weather looking a bit rough...we'll see...

Get notified of new replies

To The Birds was for the Birds....lol...

Quick Reply: The Birds was for the Birds....lol...