Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Merlin777 – A Sneak Preview

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 03:38 AM
korvetkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Merlin777 – A Sneak Preview (dsagers)

Did you ever see the C4 Ryan Falconer built for his V12 engine? He actually lengthened the car in front of the windshied for the engine. Did such a good job that it was hard to tell it wasn't stock until the hood ws opened.

Until a few months ago I used to read National Dradster, saw an advertisement in there for a company building alum blocks for 800+ ci, seems like a good starting point for the project.

As for turbos, use big ones that don't start flowing until 3 or 4K RPM, that might give you a chance at getting some traction, even without boost you will have all the low end torque to fry the hides on even the best drag slicks.

What are you going to do with Merlin 522? Maybe sell it? To a forum member?

[Modified by dsagers, 9:57 AM 7/11/2002]
The large turbos your referring to don't spool on smaller discplacement engines (ie 3L supras) with the motor he's planning you'd have to think in context, say like 4 supra motors. Those turbos you think are large would be small for such a huge motor. They would spool up off idle and make it totally undriveable. It would be hard to find any 2 turbos large enough to keep that thing from quickly building boost, maybe like some 100mm turbos. :crazy:
Old 07-12-2002, 05:07 PM
StingrayRacing
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Merlin777 – A Sneak Preview (Merlin522)

This might help a little in the traction department:

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/

Old 07-12-2002, 11:22 PM
zturbo
Instructor

Default Re: Merlin777 – A Sneak Preview (StingrayRacing)

Those nice wastegate controllers are wicked for street driving some are extremily nice to tinker around with some can be set on tons of diff variables.... rpm, mph, time and i think some others can be set using the tps. I am just using a innovative msbc :D and dont want nothing where merlin is thinking of going :crazy:
my goals are small but cant wait to see if this combo goes through huge cubes and turbos ummmm good stuff. (might also want to question on the nsca board to see what they have to say on turbo size :) i know there is a few that have run big cube motors with turbos.

Steven
Old 07-16-2002, 06:37 PM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

Merlin, you asked if you could use an 8000 rpm engine with 1500 horses on the street. Not likely.

What I mean is, you'll find that you can get anywhere in the blink of an eye, with the warp engines still on warp 1 (1st gear). I think it's gonna be frustrating. At least in the traffic around Denver. It seems to be my curse to get stuck behind either a Saturn or a Subaru that is hellbent on going 10 under the speed limit for that extra mile per gallon. And there I am, in a 500 horse Firebird, trying to see how quickly I can kill an extra gallon.

Guys like us need autobahns. And SUV's, Saturns, and Subaru's would not be allowed. You'd have to be able to prove you have a power to weight ratio of better than 8 lbs/hp or something.

Besides, I have trouble with the concept of smoking the rear rubber when you drop the hammer at 120, and going sideways until 150. That should be more fun than a ride in an F-16.

But nope...you'll jump on it in 1st, and scare the pee out of a Subaru Outback driver when you haul it down from 140 mph to his 45 mph merging "speed". You might have to almost move to Montana or Nevada, where the highways are usually wide open.

:cool: :smash: :crazy:
Old 07-26-2002, 11:08 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Merlin777 – A Sneak Preview (MoMo)

Wow, this amazes me. My motor in my GT-1 (ex Trans-AM)car does about 650HP at 7500 out of 358 CID with a single carb. I rebuild it (springs, mainly) about every 1000 race miles. Even with hot road race slicks, I still cannot floor it out of some corners. A 1200 HP or more on the street is incredible! Good luck, be safe!
Old 08-03-2002, 07:56 PM
vetterestorer
Drifting

I'm with merlin the more HP the better. As far as traction problems, they get worked out. Here's my 800HP+250 from the bottle C4 :reddevil

Old 08-04-2002, 02:04 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Merlin777 – A Sneak Preview (vetterestorer)

You got my vote. Your c4 is a work of art. :cool:
Old 08-04-2002, 06:06 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Merlin777 – A Sneak Preview (vetterestorer)

Definitely cool. That twin plenum manifold is trick!
Old 08-04-2002, 10:47 PM
compuvette
Racer

Default Re: Merlin777 – A Sneak Preview (GregP)

700 cu in big blocks are pretty common in offshore boats, and not very reliable (rebuild only once to make it through a summer). Why not do something like the Torque V-12 (http://www.torque-eng.com/images/1500TOP.jpg). I hear they are working on a 2000 HP motor now.

-Greg
I can vouch for Torque. I was at there shop about six years ago. Sold them some CAD software. Man, those engines are huge!!!! They are designed to replace twin and tripple big-block marine installs. I know when I was there they were having issues with there engine dyno keeping up with the HP. I am sure they have a bigger dyno now!
Old 08-04-2002, 11:01 PM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Default Re: Merlin777 – A Sneak Preview (compuvette)

Just noticed that those things are 860CI!! Amazing - this tells me it can easily be done. Also just noticed that they are publicly traded: http://stevenkamis.com/Stocks/detail...any=0001018675 Unfortunately their stock is at .0001 - a quick glance at the financials tells me that they are toast. Bummer. I found a quote on their site that very well sums up my feelings about engine building:

"There is no substitute for cubic inches.
Many years of successful manufacturing of high performance marine engines have given the company the experience that allows us to make the statement "that a fundamentally smaller block, no matter how radically modified, will always be overstressed and inadequate for long term production of high torque".
Old 08-04-2002, 11:54 PM
compuvette
Racer

Just noticed that those things are 860CI!! Amazing - this tells me it can easily be done. Also just noticed that they are publicly traded: http://stevenkamis.com/Stocks/detail...any=0001018675 Unfortunately their stock is at .0001 - a quick glance at the financials tells me that they are toast. Bummer. I found a quote on their site that very well sums up my feelings about engine building:

"There is no substitute for cubic inches.
Many years of successful manufacturing of high performance marine engines have given the company the experience that allows us to make the statement "that a fundamentally smaller block, no matter how radically modified, will always be overstressed and inadequate for long term production of high torque".
Man, that sux! Didn't know the company was almost out. Anyway, the engines do look awesome! Very impressive in person. Heard one run on the dyno when I was there and it tached out a 1000HP dyno! Yea, baby!! And that was without NOS, supercharging, or turbo! Just cubic inches!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Merlin777 – A Sneak Preview