Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

New block or repair damage LT1

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 02:32 PM
Chevysc560
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New block or repair damage LT1

I was cruising on the Freeway when I Sprang a head gasket leak. I had white smoked coming at the exhaust. I pulled over immediately and got towed home. When I removed the cylinder heads, I saw extensive damage inside of one of the cylinders, same place as my leak was. I also found a half a pushrod sitting in the lifter tray, none of my lifters were damaged in any sort of way. I would guess that this was left over from a previous repair. I am the second owner. I purchased to vehicle with 70,000 miles. I am also guessing that the damage from inside the cylinder was a previous incident also. Ever since I purchased the vehicle i've noticed an extreme amount of blow by. When ever i would remove the intake hose or supercharger everything is always coated with oil. Ipt only takes a couple weeks after an oil change for it to smell like gasoline. I am unsure of what the best solution

would be to fix it, if I would need a new block, or is the current one able to be fixed? Would I be able to just bore out that cylinder by a machine shop, and have that one cylinder be a little larger than all the others and get a new piston for it that sized properly? Wondering what the cheapest most effective method of repair would be. It appears that the piston got significantly chewed up but the cylinder walls don't look as bad. Not sure how much material can be removed from the walls. It is a supercharged setup and is a gen 5 lt1. All help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:48 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 415 Likes on 312 Posts

Don't know if that works for you but it's going to have to come apart completely to survey the damage. I regards to a new block there is a company in CA called Race Engine Development and they sleeve all kinds of engines. That is if the cylinder is damaged. I wouldn't over bore just one cylinder.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:20 AM
Chevysc560
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would the cost difference be to over bore all cylinders with new forged pistons vs resleeving the one vs new or used block? Thank you for your answer!
Old 10-06-2023, 05:00 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 415 Likes on 312 Posts

For pricing you would need to contact RED for costs on one sleeve plus shipping to and back. A number of years ago I had RED bore and sleeve a LS2 block so I could stroke it to 427 cubes. Worked great. RED shipped my block to me in a plastic tote via UPS.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:00 AM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 145 Posts

Pull it and fix what's broken.

Get notified of new replies

To New block or repair damage LT1

Quick Reply: New block or repair damage LT1