Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Ohio license plate question. Can I get...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:56 PM
ROJO99
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ohio license plate question. Can I get...

Collector plates for a 1999 Corvette? The Website of the Ohio BMV really bites...
Old 03-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Depends.

Here is the official statement:

In an effort to ensure that all vehicles registered as collector vehicles are truly collectible, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles references the National Automobile Dealers Association and The Complete Book of Collectible Cars 1930-1990 (Consumer Guide) to determine vehicles that are true collector vehicles. Although we recognize that a vehicle may be unique because of time, energy and investment expended by the owner, these publications are used in determining eligibility for collector’s license plates. Due to a administrative ruling, vehicle models not listed in the above publications may be considered collector vehicles if the applicant obtains documentation from the manufacturer that the vehicle was in limited production, is in demand as a collectible vehicle at the time of application or a sizable investment can be proven.
That being said, I have collector plates on a 2000 Camaro SS. Got documentation from GM/SLP and sent it in, and they approved it.

If you have collector plates, the car that they are on cannot be a daily driver or main vehicle.

All inquiries, payments, and dealings with the collector plates have to go through the main DMV/BMV in Columbus, OH also.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/vehicle_registra...tor_plates.htm

Hope some of this might help you out!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:03 AM
chucks
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
Oldtimer

I don't see why not I had them on my 95 from 97 until 03.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Red Guts
Burning Brakes

I was told by the main registrar in Columbus that ALL Corvettes qualify for collector plates.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:58 AM
HEB
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by ROJO99
Collector plates for a 1999 Corvette? The Website of the Ohio BMV really bites...
Yes, I've had them for three years, when you fill out your yearly form you have to give the licence number of your daily driver. Go to your local BMV and get a applacation and send it in.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:49 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,053 Likes on 614 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I sent in my Collector Plate application last week for our non-descript 2004. I'm going on the "All Corvettes are eligible" premise along with having a second 'daily-driver-ish" car licensed in my name.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 286 Likes on 167 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

...car must be "limited production vehicle", which aren't ALL cars "limited" to a certain point??? I mean, like my stepdaughter's 2004 Chevy Impala, they only made so many of them.

...car must be valued over $100.00(who comes up with these stupid recommendations???)

...and must not be your "daily commute vehicle" as said by other posters.

...I had them from 1990-2000 on my '75 until it qualified for 25yr old car "Historical Plates".

...cars with "Collector Plates" are also(or at least used to be)EXEMPT from emission testing.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Guts
I was told by the main registrar in Columbus that ALL Corvettes qualify for collector plates.
that is completely correct. I've had collector plates on my 2002 since brand new. There is no proof needed for the Corvette. Once they see "Corvette" as the model, you are automatically eligible.

But you must also provide a registration number of another car that you own. In other words, they won't allow Collectors plates to be put on a persons sole car. Since I have a daily driver anyways, this wasn't a concern. I could of always of used Yvonnes daily driver license number as the "other vehicle" (this other vehicle needs be registered in the same nane as the Corvette).

Barry, I have the applications for those plates in my 2002. I always keep a few around. But here is a link to the form, you can print it out yourself:
http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/pdf_forms/4803.pdf

The local registrars don't handle collector plates paperwork. This is all handled by you mailing in the form with the correct funds directly to Columbus.

But, the locals do have the form; they just cant process it. Many don't think they have the form, because hardly no one ever asks for it. But they do have it. "Collectors" is the key phrase. (not historic or antique - which are seperate programs). But all they can do is hand it to you. From then on all submissions are between you and Columbus.

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 03-29-2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:54 AM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
that is completely correct. I've had collector plates on my 2002 since brand new. There is no proof needed for the Corvette. Once they see "Corvette" as the model, you are automatically eligible.

But you must also provide a registration number of another car that you own. In other words, they won't allow Collectors plates to be put on a persons sole car. Since I have a daily driver anyways, this wasn't a concern. I could of always of used Yvonnes daily driver license number as the "other vehicle" (this other vehicle needs be registered in the same nane as the Corvette).

Barry, I have the applications for those plates in my 2002. I always keep a few around. But here is a link to the form, you can print it out yourself:
http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/pdf_forms/4803.pdf

The local registrars don't handle collector plates paperwork. This is all handled by you mailing in the form with the correct funds directly to Columbus.

But, the locals do have the form; they just cant process it. Many don't think they have the form, because hardly no one ever asks for it. But they do have it. "Collectors" is the key phrase. (not historic or antique - which are seperate programs). But all they can do is hand it to you. From then on all submissions are between you and Columbus.
All Corvettes qualify.....I have them on mine....plus personalized number (LT4BUD)......

Best of all no more E-checks..........last time there my doors, seats were brutalized my some 300 pounder, never again thanks to the Collectors Plates

Last edited by LT4BUD; 03-31-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:48 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,053 Likes on 614 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by LT4BUD
All Corvettes qualify.....I have them on mine....plus personalized number (LT4BUD)......

Best of all no more E-checks..........last time there my doors, seats were brutalized my some 300 pounder, never again thanks to the Collectors Plates

And I'm guessing that exhaust I heard last on your car woulda raised a few eyebrows as well...
Old 03-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

Best of all no more E-checks

Yep; collectors plates do exempt you from E-Check (more like "E-Tax" )
In my area they cancelled the E-Check program.

To all those that claimed "there's nothing you can do about it" or "you can't fight city hall"

We did, and we won !!!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:07 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
And I'm guessing that exhaust I heard last on your car woulda raised a few eyebrows as well...
FWIW, my exhaust does include high flow cats.....

Not sure if I would pass Echeck or not, but I think I would with the PCMforLess tune....all my emssion related components are still functional.....

25mpg highway with 4.10 gears makes me think I am running pretty clean..

Old 04-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Watch22
Racer

I have them on mine, that was the first thing I did.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:40 AM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

25mpg highway with 4.10 gears makes me think I am running pretty clean..

Old 11-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Final Effort
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

National Automobile Dealers Association and The Complete Book of Collectible Cars 1930-1990 (Consumer Guide) to determine vehicles that are true collector vehicles.

Collector Car Class. I've looked on the internet and can't find a site to determine anything.

How about any updates on this topic. My son in Ohio is finally get the 1988 C4. It WILL be a 2nd car for him as he has another car as a DD.

Get notified of new replies

To Ohio license plate question. Can I get...

Quick Reply: Ohio license plate question. Can I get...