Northern California Northern California

******** Incident with a cop!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:03 AM
mel3535
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ******** Incident with a cop!!

So i am driving down the freeway, a bike cop is giving a ticket to someone either two or three lanes right of me.

About two mile down the road he pulls me over and goes off on me saying i revved at him while i am telling him i did not. Then he says I have no front plates( which i do), i have tinted taillight ( which i do) and that my pipes are illegal ( Borla Stinger, other wise stock car)

He takes about 10 minutes doing something and then tells me he wrote me a ticket for no insurance but can't write me up for anything else because the car is registered under my dad's name.

I registered the car in my dad's name when i bought it so i could insure it under him since a 18 year old with a corvette pays a ton of money for insurance.

All this happened because he thought i revved at him or something and he acknowledged that i did not speed up but that i just revved at him and It was not even me, wow. Three lanes to his left and i think 4 to his right ( this is right before Powell street exit)and off all these cars he thinks it was me that revved when it was not even me.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Thats bulls**t guess he had nothing better to do. You don't even have a manual transmission, so he expect you to see him then shift into neutral and rev at him.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:54 AM
mel3535
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul 68
Thats bulls**t guess he had nothing better to do. You don't even have a manual transmission, so he expect you to see him then shift into neutral and rev at him.
I know, I told him it was not me but he looked and sounded pissed off. Since he only wrote me for no insurance hopefully i can go to court and show that i do have it and not have to pay anything.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:07 AM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mel3535
I know, I told him it was not me but he looked and sounded pissed off. Since he only wrote me for no insurance hopefully i can go to court and show that i do have it and not have to pay anything.

Yeah hope so.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 662 Likes on 430 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

So,just how loud was that rev?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:56 AM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Angry piglet...
Old 06-01-2011, 12:44 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bummer.

I learned long ago...yes sir, no sir, keep hands where he can see 'em, move slowly & predictably & hope for the best.

Talked my way out of a dead-to-rights ticket once when I was a kid with hair down to the middle of my back that way (back when hair length mattered).
Old 06-01-2011, 01:19 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

How could he write you for no insurance. The insurance companies report coverage to the DMV and he should of had access to that information. If you didn't have the proof of insurance card, he could write you up because that card must be carried in the car at all times.

He probably thought you revved because those Borla's get real loud as you pass him.

Good luck
Old 06-01-2011, 02:57 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Used to be; Serve and Protect, now; Annoy and Collect ($$$)
Old 06-01-2011, 03:32 PM
mel3535
Burning Brakes

Yeah I was nice,calm, polite to him like I am to any other cop. But I think he was just pissed off and took it out on me. Before he pulled me over, he passed me and then slowed down got behind me and pulled me over.

Also on the ticket, he had wrote me down for something else and crossed it out. I cannot read his handwriting.I kept on telling him I am insured since I just had my insurance renewed last month. And that since I am under my parents it was only shows thier names on the paper. But he just told me "show me your name on the paper"
Old 06-01-2011, 03:49 PM
FastGhost
Burning Brakes

So i am driving down the freeway, a bike cop is giving a ticket to someone either two or three lanes right of me.

About two mile down the road he pulls me over and goes off on me saying i revved at him while i am telling him i did not. Then he says I have no front plates( which i do), i have tinted taillight ( which i do) and that my pipes are illegal ( Borla Stinger, other wise stock car)

He takes about 10 minutes doing something and then tells me he wrote me a ticket for no insurance but can't write me up for anything else because the car is registered under my dad's name.

I registered the car in my dad's name when i bought it so i could insure it under him since a 18 year old with a corvette pays a ton of money for insurance.

All this happened because he thought i revved at him or something and he acknowledged that i did not speed up but that i just revved at him and It was not even me, wow. Three lanes to his left and i think 4 to his right ( this is right before Powell street exit)and off all these cars he thinks it was me that revved when it was not even me.
Take it to court.....
Old 06-01-2011, 03:54 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah I was nice,calm, polite to him like I am to any other cop. But I think he was just pissed off and took it out on me. Before he pulled me over, he passed me and then slowed down got behind me and pulled me over.

Also on the ticket, he had wrote me down for something else and crossed it out. I cannot read his handwriting.I kept on telling him I am insured since I just had my insurance renewed last month. And that since I am under my parents it was only shows thier names on the paper. But he just told me "show me your name on the paper"
When I had my daughter on my policy her name was not on the proof of insurance card, but the actual policy listed her as a driver. I could be mistaken but I believe the only thing the law is interested in is that someone has the car insured. If I loaned my car to a friend, talking hypothetically here, the car would still be insured and his name would not be on the proof of insurance or on the policy. I think you found an officer with a Napoleon complex...

Old 06-01-2011, 05:04 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My understanding: Since CA started requiring insurance companies to keep proof filed with DMV, the state no longer allows officers to ask for proof of insurance UNLESS you are involved in an accident or the computer says you have no insurance.

We have a few LEO on here. One of them will probably confirm this or set me straight.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:37 PM
mel3535
Burning Brakes

Also maybe someone could tell me what this means, but he checked "No" where it says correctable violation next to where he wrote me for no Insurance.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:29 PM
mickey_7106
Melting Slicks

that sucks dude. i drive through that area 4 days a week for the last 6 years and never had a problem (knock on wood!). but i have friends that have gotten carpool tickets around that area
Old 06-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe a "correctable violation" is a "fix-it ticket".
Old 06-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Ruggeri
Used to be; Serve and Protect, now; Annoy and Collect ($$$)

It certainly feels that way anymore!

Get notified of new replies

To ******** Incident with a cop!!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:15 PM
FastGhost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet
I believe a "correctable violation" is a "fix-it ticket".
I believe you have to pay a fine for the "fix it ticket". The state and county and cities are trying to get every penny they can..
Old 06-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

When you go to court, make sure you have your driver license, and paperwork that show that you were insured on the date of the ticket,
and the proof of insurance that you showed the officer. Bring a couple of extra copies for the court and prosecution.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FastGhost
I believe you have to pay a fine for the "fix it ticket". The state and county and cities are trying to get every penny they can..
I believe you now have to pay a fee to get a "fix-it ticket" signed off. The logic is to cover the officer's time to sign it off.

Quick Reply: ******** Incident with a cop!!