Northern California Northern California

For those with modified motors/exhausts, how do you get past a smog check?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 01:08 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

I didn't know about that new test. So are you saying we can't pass smog if our ECU has been altered?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:17 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I just cant see them being able to check the history that means any car with a history of ever having a tune wont pass. That would suck bad
Old 05-05-2012, 01:24 AM
c5autoxracer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
amen, I usta carry two guns, one for me and one for that a-h@@le who tried to shoot me first
Old 05-05-2012, 01:26 AM
c5autoxracer
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged
You can just register at a house in a non smog area of a county. The owner of the house you pick doesn't even have to know because you can have the dmv paperwork/renewal mail sent to a different address. I know a guy that didnt even know who lived where his car was registered. He drove up to North shore Tahoe found a cabin with a attached garage and used it. All his renewals came to his other address and cabin owner never knew his address was being used. Most out of the way cabins up at Tahoe for instance dont have mail delivery so another address is common for all mail.

It isnt a problem with cops if they ask whats up with 2 different addresses as you just tell them the car is garaged up there at your vacation home because your garage is full here in bay area but you bring it down to bay area sometimes so your drivers license can still have other address on it. Your DL address and car registration address do not have to match but DL must be your main residence if they ask.

And if you dont wanna do that you can go to the underground. There is a vast underground of smog techs that will not do a visual, and next year when no more sniffer test on 2000 and newer vehicles it will be even easier to cheat.
Most cops wont ask.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
I didn't know about that new test. So are you saying we can't pass smog if our ECU has been altered?
No one knows for sure just yet what parameters they will check for and how much of altercation.

Hell I'm E85 burning clean as hell and no way would it pass the new 2013 check because tune is radically altered for the E85. I could easily change back to stock tune if I ever needed to actually smog my car but it might fail anyway if they pick up tune has been changed back to stock fro ma modded tune.
I talked to a programmer working on the 2013 stuff and he said it will even pick up if fan settings, timing, fuel stoich and such are changed from stock and throw a red flag.

This new program stinks from the get go but some other states already use it to some degree. The part of it is stupid because the tune can be changed for cleaner burning fuel like E85 yet the bozo's for CARB cant see that and have a work around for those people people.

Andy of A&A Corvette is paying the mega bucks now to be approved by CARB and ARB for his aftermarket tunes for his supercharger packages. I'm afraid to say its really going to suck for ANYONE with an aftermarket tune UNLESS the tune is approved by CARB.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:24 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

as long as they cant see history we can deal with that, but if they can what are you suppose to do at that point if you have ever had a tune....sell the car? lol

They should just have the Sniffer and nothing else as long as it passes it shouldnt matter
Old 05-05-2012, 03:06 AM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Problem with only a sniffer test, when a car is fully warmed up it pollutes much less than when warming up after a cold or semi cold start and this is what needs to be checked and they cant. Sniffer tests really are a lousy way to smog a car. The computer data tells much more by far.

In 2013 they will be checking sums for various data from current vs past information collected either by dealer or smog checks. If the check sums dont fall within a match range then you fail for further checking whats going on. This is where if you have changed you're tune after last smog check or dealer data gathering when warranty work was preformed the checksums will not match and you fail.
In short this is how it works:

At the smog test, they connect to your PCM via the OBD2 port and read these things (using Mode $09):
- CAL ID for each segment,
- CVN for each segment,
- VIN of your vehicle,

they then use the VIN to look up a database containing valid CAL ID and CVN values for your VIN (this is already in place for 2005+ cars);

the CVN's are like checksums; when tuning software writes to the PCM, the tuning software calculates what the CVN should be for each segment and writes it to the PCM; when you turn on the key, the PCM performs the same CVN calculation and expects to arrive at the same values;

if you have significant engine mods, you would have had your PCM tuned, which means the CVN for the engine segment now differs from original...

if you deleted codes, then the engine diagnostic segment CVN differs...

if you had your auto trans tuned, then the trans segment CVN differs...

if you changed your ring/pinion ratio, then your speedo segment CVN differs...

if you changed your fan on/off temperatures, then your system segment CVN differs...

[ if GM reflashed your PCM for some reason or other, CARB will know about it (since the PCM is an emissions device), and the new CAL ID and CVN will end up in the database ]

if your car is a 2005+ they will definitely see the differences in CVN values, and they will fail you;

if your car is 2000-2005 they may still be able to pick up on these differences, even tho they didn't legislate for a database for cars prior to 2005; that doesn't mean they don't have a means of looking up and checking (they have had the ability to store the CAL ID and CVN values from all your previous smog tests, and they have the computing ability to detect differences, they just can't necessarily compare them to the OEM values);

I'm glad I dont have to worry about this bulls***

All this in a state with 11 million Ilegal Aliens, 30 percent of the NATION'S welfare recipients, Prisons and Jails so "full" basically only "violent" offenders are incarcerated for any time. And, broke.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:07 AM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

For those with anything other than a stock car it's time to start considering all the loopholes in the system. Registering it in another county. Registering it out of state. Finding shops that will overlook the visual. Etc, etc, etc....

...considering the intent of CARB is no longer about doing the right thing for the environment but about making money
Old 05-05-2012, 03:47 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

Has anyone actually confirmed they're doing some kind of checksum testing against the calibration tables? Or are we just guessing?

No offense intended to Z06Supercharged, but I don't see this written in the law anywhere.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:52 AM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

My thing is having 2 ECU'S one to run on and one when I go in with the very first time when this starts buy it from dealer and the paper work with a tune on it hope to hell it works lol
Old 05-05-2012, 09:26 AM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Dont know yet on that for sure but I am betting yes they will know just like GM knows if you have tune change back to stock for warranty work.
I wonder how that'll work. If you show up with a modified tune you'll fail. Then you'll fail again because you brought the car back into compliance?

That's like failing someone because they put their stock manifolds back on the car.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:06 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BOUT X
My thing is having 2 ECU'S one to run on and one when I go in with the very first time when this starts buy it from dealer and the paper work with a tune on it hope to hell it works lol
thats a good idea if it'd work, have a tune on the extra ECU and stock tune on OEM ECU
Originally Posted by doje
I wonder how that'll work. If you show up with a modified tune you'll fail. Then you'll fail again because you brought the car back into compliance?

That's like failing someone because they put their stock manifolds back on the car.
Ya that's where I'm confused, that'd mean cars literally a couple years old would become junk and not able to be registered which is retarded since most with tunes burn cleaner lol
Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

That sucks, Here in Nevada all they do is hook up to the OBDII port, They don't even open the hood.
Mr.Bill
Old 05-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
That sucks, Here in Nevada all they do is hook up to the OBDII port, They don't even open the hood.
Mr.Bill
Same with Oregon...and that's only in the populated counties. The rural counties have no SMOG at all.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:04 PM
c5autoxracer
Racer

Originally Posted by Exotica
For those with anything other than a stock car it's time to start considering all the loopholes in the system. Registering it in another county. Registering it out of state. Finding shops that will overlook the visual. Etc, etc, etc....

...considering the intent of CARB is no longer about doing the right thing for the environment but about making money
Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Vinnie T
Pro

Originally Posted by ducpor
I've always wondered, do the average Tech guys at SMOG check locations see enough C6/C6Z06 to know the difference between stock and aftermarket headers?

Same for OP's catch can, if it was all black and not a bright color, how do they know it isn't factory?
Let me answer that. I specifically got the black anodized can so it would blend in. This tech was good and checked about every hose and electrical connection under the hood. I believe he would have picked up on the catch can even if Elite hadn't made it so easy to spot by printing their website address on the top of the can. I understand they want to advertise their product even though it looks tacky, but it sure doesn't help matters when it comes to blending in. There's also the aluminum spacer that mounts to the engine block for clearance that looks aftermarket too.

I did talk to a friend who works at BAR. He said that ARB won't budge on the aftermarket cans, but the vendors are more than welcome to try to have them certified. But that's the Catch 22. Too expensive to do and not enough market in the state, so the vendors pass on it.

Last edited by Vinnie T; 05-05-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Caboboy
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22
'23-'24

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
Has anyone actually confirmed they're doing some kind of checksum testing against the calibration tables? Or are we just guessing?

No offense intended to Z06Supercharged, but I don't see this written in the law anywhere.
Steve, I think sometimes the sky is falling.

Get notified of new replies

To For those with modified motors/exhausts, how do you get past a smog check?

Old 05-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

My buddy just got his smog license just so he can do his own cars and close friends. Be said it was the best loophole in his book to get around smog...lol
Old 05-06-2012, 06:58 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

So, if this is the case. You purchase a smog legal supercharger kit and have it installed at a local performance shop or do it yourself. You will then need to go to a smog shop, or go to a referee to qualify the new tune so it can be the new baseline?

DJ
Old 05-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

There are easy loopholes to beat the smog check to even worry about anything they come up with. California is just a joke with how the government just runs all over people there and CARB is at the top of the list

Quick Reply: For those with modified motors/exhausts, how do you get past a smog check?