Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Cybertruck now officially in Production.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 01:07 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,252 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
How does that compare to the number of F150 ICE trucks sold during the same period?
Relevant data and comparisons have no place in an EV humper thread.

Old 07-18-2023, 01:27 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
How does that compare to the number of F150 ICE trucks sold during the same period?
Can't compare this until the assembly line is able to mass produce the Cybertruck. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM WILL BE SPOKEN FOR BEFORE IT ROLLS OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE. The only reason why F150 sells more is because they can produce more AT THIS POINT. There are over 1.5 MILLION reservations. Even if only 500k people will take delivery still means years of being sold out for years. F150's are NOT sold out. You can find plenty on every dealer's lot.
Old 07-18-2023, 01:41 PM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 715 Likes on 372 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Why do people celebrate anything vehicle related when there hasn't been a single customer delivery..?
Old 07-18-2023, 01:42 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,636 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
Can't compare this until the assembly line is able to mass produce the Cybertruck. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM WILL BE SPOKEN FOR BEFORE IT ROLLS OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE. The only reason why F150 sells more is because they can produce more AT THIS POINT. There are over 1.5 MILLION reservations. Even if only 500k people will take delivery still means years of being sold out for years. F150's are NOT sold out. You can find plenty on every dealer's lot.

​​​​​​For reference, Ford closed resverations at 200k, and said that was a 3 year backlog. That means cyber truck has a reservation backlog of about 20 years based off similar capacity and assumption of those reservations being real and not people trying to flip them. Even if we take your 500k number, that would mean they've got a ~7 year backlog of orders.

Now we all know that the reservation system is just a way to get a zero interest loan for companies and a way to speculate on what could be resold for a profit for the reservation holders, but it seems entirely plausible that the 1.5 million reservations could end up netting 100k sales or less. It's one thing to reserve something for a 100$ refundable deposit. It's another thing to pay a completely unknown amount of money with 7% interest rates. I know people think it's gonna be cheaper than a lightning, but I bet it comes in priced very similar to the hummer EV. Also mind blowing to think that they're producing vehicles for customers and don't have a price for them yet. Totally insane.

Also worth noting that Tesla hasn't said how many y reservations it has. It's all data that's crowdsourced by Tesla fanboys. Estimates in 2021 said they had 3 million reservations, so it's pretty clear these numbers are pure conjecture.
Old 07-18-2023, 03:27 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FAUEE
​​​​​​For reference, Ford closed resverations at 200k, and said that was a 3 year backlog. That means cyber truck has a reservation backlog of about 20 years based off similar capacity and assumption of those reservations being real and not people trying to flip them. Even if we take your 500k number, that would mean they've got a ~7 year backlog of orders.

Now we all know that the reservation system is just a way to get a zero interest loan for companies and a way to speculate on what could be resold for a profit for the reservation holders, but it seems entirely plausible that the 1.5 million reservations could end up netting 100k sales or less. It's one thing to reserve something for a 100$ refundable deposit. It's another thing to pay a completely unknown amount of money with 7% interest rates. I know people think it's gonna be cheaper than a lightning, but I bet it comes in priced very similar to the hummer EV. Also mind blowing to think that they're producing vehicles for customers and don't have a price for them yet. Totally insane.

Also worth noting that Tesla hasn't said how many y reservations it has. It's all data that's crowdsourced by Tesla fanboys. Estimates in 2021 said they had 3 million reservations, so it's pretty clear these numbers are pure conjecture.
We will see.. I predict that you won't be able to get a Cybertruck in years if you order right now. Production capacity will be 250k to 300k units per year once production is at full speed..
Old 07-18-2023, 04:45 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

People are buying into a huge scam. When this contraption had its first press release, the claim was it could carry 3,500 pounds in the bed. I claim total and complete bull ****. It would need to have a frame and suspension built similarly like a Super Duty to carry this much weight safely.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:17 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

We will see.. I predict that you won't be able to get a Cybertruck in years if you order right now. Production capacity will be 250k to 300k units per year once production is at full speed..
I predict you're right, but likely for different reasons. I bet they don't get anywhere NEAR that production level anytime soon. If they see a reduction in preorders coming, they're sort of incentivized to drag it out to maintain demand, vs opening the floodgates of production capacity and running out of backlog.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:19 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,252 Likes on 626 Posts

The fact they will sell all they can try to manufacture means zilch, zip, nada. This is supposed to be a lightweight truck which is competing in a market where high volume is the norm, not a limited production sports car. I agree that most that have lined up forever waiting for this thing are hoping for a flip and quick buck it's the society we live in now. I have been on the EV Hummer list since that was announced, if my number ever gets called and unless I can flip it I have zero interest in one anymore.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:56 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

I predict you're right, but likely for different reasons. I bet they don't get anywhere NEAR that production level anytime soon. If they see a reduction in preorders coming, they're sort of incentivized to drag it out to maintain demand, vs opening the floodgates of production capacity and running out of backlog.
A lot depends on the price which is yet to be released. Tesla got GIGA AUSTIN and GIGA Grüneheide in Germany to full speed pretty quickly.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:02 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JDSKY
The fact they will sell all they can try to manufacture means zilch, zip, nada. This is supposed to be a lightweight truck which is competing in a market where high volume is the norm, not a limited production sports car. I agree that most that have lined up forever waiting for this thing are hoping for a flip and quick buck it's the society we live in now. I have been on the EV Hummer list since that was announced, if my number ever gets called and unless I can flip it I have zero interest in one anymore.
Cybertruck will be a lot lighter than the 9000 lbs Hummer EV. Based on the known information about it, it will have a 100kwh battery and 350 mile range in the initial version. So, to get those numbers, the truck has to be under 6000 lbs..
Old 07-18-2023, 08:30 PM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 715 Likes on 372 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

A truck under 6000lbs will NOT have a 3500lb payload capacity. Also there is no current 1/2 ton EV on the market under 6000lbs.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:41 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Not only can it haul nearly TWO tons!!! It even has BULLETPROOF glass!!!

Oh, wait…..

Old 07-18-2023, 09:41 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Most of what Tesla says about future products is total BS anyways. They're in the "list all kinds of crazy stats to generate buzz and then miss them all" world. The same people who brag about those stats before releas then play apologist and say "those were just stretch goals that nobody expected to hit".
Old 07-18-2023, 11:00 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
A truck under 6000lbs will NOT have a 3500lb payload capacity. Also there is no current 1/2 ton EV on the market under 6000lbs.
We will see when the specs are out. I'm just speculating about weight. The information on battery size and range are based on unconfirmed leaks. If they are true, I don't see how a 7000+ lbs truck can have a range of 350 miles with a 100kwh battery. No way. Something is off there.. My Model X Plaid is 5390 lbs and very aerodynamic and it gets 333 mile range with a 99.4 kwh pack (they say 100 kwh but it is 99.4 kwh)
No way a boxy 7000 lbs truck will get that with that battery size.

Last edited by GrandSportC3; 07-18-2023 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-19-2023, 08:22 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

We will see when the specs are out. I'm just speculating about weight. The information on battery size and range are based on unconfirmed leaks. If they are true, I don't see how a 7000+ lbs truck can have a range of 350 miles with a 100kwh battery. No way. Something is off there.. My Model X Plaid is 5390 lbs and very aerodynamic and it gets 333 mile range with a 99.4 kwh pack (they say 100 kwh but it is 99.4 kwh)
No way a boxy 7000 lbs truck will get that with that battery size.
You're starting to get it.

For it to be able to do even part of what they're claiming it probably has a 200 kwh battery like in hummer. That probably gives it the 300 mile range. There's probably a 100kwh version that will have like 150 miles of range. It almost certainly doesn't haul 3500lbs, but it might haul 1500. If it has those size batteries, it's probably a $150k plus vehicle. If you compare it to the model x plaid at 110k, it's GOT to be higher than that.

It's still mind-blowing to me that people will sign up "to buy something" with the reservation and have no idea about anything about it. No price. No specs. Just theories.
Old 07-19-2023, 08:49 AM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

For it to be able to do even part of what they're claiming it probably has a 200 kwh battery like in hummer. That probably gives it the 300 mile range. There's probably a 100kwh version that will have like 150 miles of range. It almost certainly doesn't haul 3500lbs, but it might haul 1500. If it has those size batteries, it's probably a $150k plus vehicle. If you compare it to the model x plaid at 110k, it's GOT to be higher than that.

It's still mind-blowing to me that people will sign up "to buy something" with the reservation and have no idea about anything about it. No price. No specs. Just theories.

People didn’t put a $5000 deposit down on these….they put a measly $100 down on it, fully refundable no less. A completely meaningless deposit. Basically just so they could show their friends online that ‘hey-look, I’ve got a Cybertruck on order!!’ Id guess that >90% of them will never buy the truck anyway.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:35 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Teslas are much more efficient than other brands.. I would think that the Cybertruck would need 125kwh battery for 350 mile range and 200 kwh battery for 500 mile range. Based on it's size, the weight should be around 7000 lbs.. It won't be a monster like the Hummer.
It's almost a certainty that the battery will be 100kwh (99.4) for the initial production run. If it is, I don't see 350 mile range as possible. Physics won't allow that UNLESS the truck weighs a lot less than expected.

Get notified of new replies

To Cybertruck now officially in Production.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:36 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
People didn’t put a $5000 deposit down on these….they put a measly $100 down on it, fully refundable no less. A completely meaningless deposit. Basically just so they could show their friends online that ‘hey-look, I’ve got a Cybertruck on order!!’ Id guess that >90% of them will never buy the truck anyway.
Many people will just take delivery to resale for more like it happened when Plaid production started. Once supply catches up with demand, resale value will fall dramatically.
Hopefully, 2 months from now (late September), the official specs will be out and we no longer need to speculate. How many will sell will depend on price and we don't know anything about the price right now.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:13 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Teslas are much more efficient than other brands.. I would think that the Cybertruck would need 125kwh battery for 350 mile range and 200 kwh battery for 500 mile range. Based on it's size, the weight should be around 7000 lbs.. It won't be a monster like the Hummer.
It's almost a certainty that the battery will be 100kwh (99.4) for the initial production run. If it is, I don't see 350 mile range as possible. Physics won't allow that UNLESS the truck weighs a lot less than expected.
Lightning weighs about 7000 pounds and musters 300 something with a 130-140kwh pack. It also doesn't make the insane claims of payload capacity. There's also the question of size, people say the cyber truck is WAY bigger than people expect.

Regardless, we know they're lying about at least some.of their claims. Which ones is the question.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:17 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 916 Likes on 427 Posts

we will see...Better for me if people don't take delivery.. Moves me to a better spot in line.
Does your reservation indicate a number/spot where you are at in the rumored 1.5-2 million total so far?