Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Where to buy Methonal in Portland/Vnacouver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 08:15 AM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Where to buy Methonal in Portland/Vnacouver?

The Title says it all. Anyone know?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:21 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RED99
The Title says it all. Anyone know?
You can also use denatured alcohol. That you can find at any paint store. As for Methanol, try Christenson Brothers in NW Portland, I beleive that they carry VP race fuel which does make a methanol fuel.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:32 PM
RED99
Safety Car

What is the difference between Denatured Alcohol and Methanol? And what are the difference in running the two?
Old 10-20-2006, 12:28 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

What is the difference between Denatured Alcohol and Methanol? And what are the difference in running the two?
About 1 carbon molecule difference, and running either one is the same in a 50/50 mix. I don't recommend running either in concentrations greater than 50% because both can be corrosive. Not to mention that Meth in pure form absorbs water like a sponge which in your application won't make much difference. I just tuned a 2002 Silverado tonight with a STS rear mount turbo. With a 100% bottle of meth it went from my no meth run AFR of 11.5:1 to 10:1 and I lost power, with a 50/50 mix it was better. I finally went with a 25% mix, as far as the water/meth injection the key is the water. That is what does the intercooling effects based on its latent heat values. It takes x amount of joues or calories of heat energy to change water from a liquid to a vapor, it is that exchange in heat energy that is absorbed from the combustion chamber heat that causes the intercooling effect. The meth is a fuel, so be careful when tuning, too much meth is the same as having too much gasoline.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:52 AM
RED99
Safety Car

Is Dentured Alcohol corrosive like Methanol? The kit I have is suppose to be able to handle 100% Meth, and it recommended.
I think the Meth is going to slow the burn rate down, so more timing would be needed in order to maintain peak cylinder pressure at the optimum crank angle. The only problem is you wouldn't want to ever go into boost with a spray of Meth with more advance timing. Which is why I used the windshield washer tank, so the DIC will tell me when I am low. But you still have the chance of other malfunctions.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:47 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Is Dentured Alcohol corrosive like Methanol? The kit I have is suppose to be able to handle 100% Meth, and it recommended.
I think the Meth is going to slow the burn rate down, so more timing would be needed in order to maintain peak cylinder pressure at the optimum crank angle. The only problem is you wouldn't want to ever go into boost with a spray of Meth with more advance timing. Which is why I used the windshield washer tank, so the DIC will tell me when I am low. But you still have the chance of other malfunctions.
Denatured has nearly the same properties as Meth and is just as corrosive in concentrated form. As for slowing that burn rate, it will do that but if you slow it down too much you won't make power either, but at least it won't detonate
Old 10-21-2006, 06:46 PM
StingerZ16
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I beleive Torque freaks / horsepower freaks has it.
They are on Airport way.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to buy Methonal in Portland/Vnacouver?

Quick Reply: Where to buy Methonal in Portland/Vnacouver?