Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Media Blasting the body?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Emeightch
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Media Blasting the body?

Talked with a few people on this, what do you guys think of the plastic media blasting process. Apparently, you can go down to the primer or all the way down to the fiberglass without any damage.

Couple things, I found prices ranging from $800 to $1100. The car has been handed around like a wet (you know what) and it seems to have been painted a few times. The paint is flaking off, I tried to do small areas with a chemical stripper but didn't feel comfortable finishing, I also tried other areas with a razor but again didn't feel comfortable. I thought it would be a safe bet to bow out and have someone do it.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 201 Likes on 155 Posts

Probably one of the best ways to go using #6 acrylic beads with someone who KNOWS how to use the equipment. Just make sure that every little hole is taped up or you'll be finding those little beads forever.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:47 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

type 6 acrylic can damage the glass. be careful under the hood and inner fenders as they have very little resin on top. corn cob is a little more forgiving than acrylic. i use both. the acrylic will work but you must use very low presure.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:58 PM
dariopop
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just had mine PlASTIC Media Blasted and I paid $800.00 and well woth it. I also tried to do it with the razor and ended up making a mess. Didn't
feel safe using any kind of stripper. Just got the car back from the paint shop yeaterday and looks great.
I had them take it down to the primer with the media blast and I hand sanded it down to the glass to 180 and the shop primed it with a Urathane Primer and sealer and had it BC/CC. Came out great and well worth it. Just make sure the Media blast shop has done Corvettes before and not learning on yours!! You can really ruin a fiberglass car if you get a BuBBa on it.
Dario

Get notified of new replies

To Media Blasting the body?

Quick Reply: Media Blasting the body?