C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urine smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 05:21 PM
excelent1976
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urine smell

My 76 has smell of (mouse) urine coming out of heat ducts. I checked all the accessable spots, blower motor, etc., can't locate the nest.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Sounds like this is going to need to be all taken apart so you can get to the inner ducts.

I have found nests in the heater core box and also other areas.

Sometimes the carpet needs to be throw away. The only reason I am saying this is that I have had to clean cars that were so strong on mouse urine it would literally knock you out if you sat in the car.

Trust me..that mouse just did not stay in the ducts..it has been all through that car urinating every chance it can get... wherever it wants to.

And do not be fooled by thinking that you got it because it smells good. Put the car in the sun a while with the windows closed for several hours and THEN check it.

I have done this enough to know so I do not have to rip into the car all over again.

DUB
Old 05-08-2018, 08:06 PM
av81
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by excelent1976
My 76 has smell of (mouse) urine coming out of heat ducts. I checked all the accessable spots, blower motor, etc., can't locate the nest.
oh no , my Catalina had a few nests in it and stunk like that , I replaced the carpet and took the whole dash out to clean everything , got the smell out but now the car is a mouse magnet ... the mice can still smell the scent and try to get in. Best thing is to keep snap traps in to see if any get in again.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:47 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

I had a mouse get into my heater box, chewed through the blades on the blower, crawled all the way to the far end on the drivers side, then died. Not fun taking the whole dash apart to get it out. They urinate anywhere and everywhere including inside the heater....

Found one in the console, under the ashtray once. It had chewed the fiber optics bundle going to the rear lights. Had to replace the rear harness.

Wish I had a cat.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:26 PM
excelent1976
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DUB
Sounds like this is going to need to be all taken apart so you can get to the inner ducts.

I have found nests in the heater core box and also other areas.

Sometimes the carpet needs to be throw away. The only reason I am saying this is that I have had to clean cars that were so strong on mouse urine it would literally knock you out if you sat in the car.

Trust me..that mouse just did not stay in the ducts..it has been all through that car urinating every chance it can get... wherever it wants to.

And do not be fooled by thinking that you got it because it smells good. Put the car in the sun a while with the windows closed for several hours and THEN check it.

I have done this enough to know so I do not have to rip into the car all over again.

DUB
Thanks for that info. Not looking forward to all that work. Had the car for 28 years. This is a recent problem. Just smells when the heater fan is out on.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:11 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,035 Likes on 706 Posts

Good luck with this one. Looks like it's going to be a PITA to get rid of, but what do I know...I couldn't tell you the difference between mouse **** or moose ****.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:33 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,389 Likes on 2,634 Posts

If a moose was peeing in your heater ducts, you would be able to tell the diff... what was that TV sheriff's line? Urine a heap of trouble now, boy!

Last edited by derekderek; 05-08-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:42 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

You know that buddy you've been driving around... The one that just has to stop for the 44 oz. drinks at Sonic every hour or two....

Old 05-09-2018, 08:41 AM
excelent1976
8th Gear

Default excelent1976

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
I had a mouse get into my heater box, chewed through the blades on the blower, crawled all the way to the far end on the drivers side, then died. Not fun taking the whole dash apart to get it out. They urinate anywhere and everywhere including inside the heater....

Found one in the console, under the ashtray once. It had chewed the fiber optics bundle going to the rear lights. Had to replace the rear harness.

Wish I had a cat.
wow. What a mess. I’m going to have to open things up and check for damage and clean.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:44 AM
excelent1976
8th Gear

Default Thanks so much for that info!

Originally Posted by derekderek
If a moose was peeing in your heater ducts, you would be able to tell the diff... what was that TV sheriff's line? Urine a heap of trouble now, boy!
Thanks!
Old 05-09-2018, 08:46 AM
excelent1976
8th Gear

Default It all stinks. Just the quantity is different.

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Good luck with this one. Looks like it's going to be a PITA to get rid of, but what do I know...I couldn't tell you the difference between mouse **** or moose ****.
It all stinks. The quantity is different.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:51 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 263 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCorv70

Wish I had a cat.
I've been restoring a 79' and found this nest in the AC plenum (the part in the engine compartment). This was the "living room". The bathroom was in the parking brake console.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:04 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,323 Posts

I had one Corvette where the darn mouse built a nest right in front of the evaporator core. So all of the bedding and such was right in the path of the air that was trying to go into the car when the system was used. I verified this with my borescope and that caused me to have to take out the evaporator care and all that stuff and clean it well...not to mention that his 'friends' got inside the car and set up several 'base camps ' also.

Also do not assume that they do not get into your doors and set up nets there also. Using a good bright flashlight will easily verify this when the door glass is down.

I have not realty gotten on board with the liquids that they say can eliminate these odors by simply spraying them. I know it all has to do with chemistry and what is in the spray and if it actually attacks and eats the 'whatever' that is causing the smell. I have tried them but I am 'old school' and put on rubber gloves and thoroughly wash all non porous parts in a soap with bleach or bleach itself and then spray a mist of that stuff that says it works on urine in some cases where I feel it may be needed.

I can say it is not a hard task to do...but it will well worth it in the end as long as you take it far enough...so when the car is in the sun..and the windows are up...you do not go out to your car and get knocked own by the smell again.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 05-09-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:25 AM
excelent1976
8th Gear

Thanks for that great info! Sounds like that’s what I’ll be doing.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:48 PM
Hayes69
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

My 69 had someones pee all over it. I had to replace the carpet and that got rid of the smell. the mouse had been storing cat food in the heater core for a long time. when i went to remove it to put in vintage air about half a bag of cat food fell out!

Last edited by Hayes69; 05-10-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:04 AM
excelent1976
8th Gear

The common thread hear seems to be in the heater core evaporator area. My carpet and interior seem to be good. Smell happens when it’s started and the fan blower is on.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:15 PM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 631 Likes on 417 Posts

Nuff said ...

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Urine smell

Old 05-15-2018, 09:24 PM
excelent1976
8th Gear

Phantom. That sound like it. I looked in most of the plenum where I could see. Nothing visible yet. Going in with my scope to look. It’s in there someplace. Thanks for the input!!! Everyone’s had great feed back. Thank you all!
Old 05-16-2018, 01:47 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke94
The bathroom was in the parking brake console.
So the mouse living in my '68 wasn't alone in his bathroom choice. My parking brake base plate stunk to high heaven every time I hit it with a wire wheel to clean up rust.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:35 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 194 Posts

Even after cleaning out the mouse nest from my heater box, there was urine smell that would not wash off that plastic/composite material the box is made of. I tried "Natures Miracle" spray that is for dogs that get sprayed by a skunk. Whatever chemical is in it got rid of the smell. One bottle is about $7 at PetSmart.

Quick Reply: Urine smell