Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Interior Suede vs Leather

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 05:53 PM
Njentrepreneur
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Interior Suede vs Leather

Hi guys. I’ve seen this thread in bits and pieces but I think it’s time to resurrect since we will be having to make this decision in the upcoming months. What’s everyone thoughts and past experiences on the suede vs leather inserts? Share pictures as well. Thanks
Old 02-27-2022, 08:14 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,606 Likes on 793 Posts

I prefer leather.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:20 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Njentrepreneur
Hi guys. I’ve seen this thread in bits and pieces but I think it’s time to resurrect since we will be having to make this decision in the upcoming months. What’s everyone thoughts and past experiences on the suede vs leather inserts? Share pictures as well. Thanks
The term "Suede" can be confusing as it is a disaster and is really no good for much of anything while the Alcantara type materials which are used in the automotive world along with many other applications is a fantastic product.
The following 4 users liked this post by punky:
2cnd Chance (02-27-2022), hamta (02-27-2022), Rapid Fred (02-28-2022), vetteman41960 (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 08:33 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,215 Likes on 549 Posts

The more the better for me. Since you brought it up I have been wondering if you get the Alcantara inserts are the pieces under the dash and on the door panels also alcantara? I have not seen a stingray with that option yet.
Old 02-27-2022, 11:25 PM
Cubicinches
Racer

Received 415 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by TRANS DAMM
The more the better for me. Since you brought it up I have been wondering if you get the Alcantara inserts are the pieces under the dash and on the door panels also alcantara? I have not seen a stingray with that option yet.
My understand--correct me if I'm wrong--is that you only get the alcantara inserts on the dash and door (and center console) if you opt for the yellow or red stitching. But if you then get level 2 CF, it appears the center console alcantara is replaced with CF.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:37 AM
CZS
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts

Can the comp seats be configured with absolutely no alcantara?
Old 02-28-2022, 12:44 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,046 Likes on 558 Posts

Avoid suede/Alcantara if you typically have greasy hands. It soaks up the grease and you’ll never get it out.

I test drove a used Camaro SS a few years ago and despite it having been detailed it was gross. The original owner must have eaten fries or buffalo wings while he drove because the Alcantara wheel was matted flat and slippery smooth from the grease. Absolutely disgusting.

I don’t eat in my cars but I still prefer leather. I love the feel and as it wears in it only gets better. I’ve never had an Alcantara steering wheel but I can’t believe it stands up to use as well as leather.
The following users liked this post:
DallasLoneStar (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 12:46 AM
DallasLoneStar
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree, totally out on alcantara on anything that gets touched.
Litshopofguitars (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 12:55 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,986 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubicinches
My understand--correct me if I'm wrong--is that you only get the alcantara inserts on the dash and door (and center console) if you opt for the yellow or red stitching. But if you then get level 2 CF, it appears the center console alcantara is replaced with CF.
Following....any pics?
Old 02-28-2022, 07:22 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,291 Likes on 1,816 Posts

To each his own. I ordered my ‘22 HTC Stingray with the suede inserts because I prefer the way the seats grip / hold me. I really love the look and feel and think it takes the look up a notch. But i also get peoples apprehension due to cleanliness concerns especially long term.

I would agree most people are slobs in their cars but I’m not and won’t be eating in my C8. I’m #580 with a top 3 dealer, so I’ve got some time to decide before I order my Z06 (maybe a 2025?). I’ve had suede before and it does require a little more care and the steering wheel does take the brunt of it. I think if I planned on keeping the car for 30 years, I’d get all leather. (PS - photo note, the flash light is hitting off the perforated steel seats funny, making them looks dusty. The seats were perfectly clean).

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 02-28-2022 at 02:43 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Big Lebowski:
imxz28 (03-01-2022), JABCAT (02-28-2022), LV_V (02-28-2022), Remaxracing (03-01-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 07:28 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,165 Likes on 4,400 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Its not that expensive or difficult to wrap those pieces in Alcantara if you want to. I’ve done this in my Carbon Z. I’m almost finished, but basically every interior plastic piece is wrapped in factory-match Alcantara. About $500-$700 total (4-5 yards of fabric).
TRANS DAMM (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 07:39 AM
1Sikstik
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 125 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Under the dash, door panels, steering wheel & part of inner steering wheel where you press for the horn, pillars, under targa top, seat inserts, console, side console. I love it and gives a supercar feel imo on my stingray. Its really nice. I've have leather all over on my other cars and I like this better. If I remember later I can take a few photos and post them. Will probably do this option when I order a Z06 or ZR1
TRANS DAMM (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 07:49 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,810 Likes on 986 Posts

I have had both in many cars, I was worried at first to how the Alcantara would hold up and stay clean, was surprised on how clean looking it stayed with no signs of wear
Old 02-28-2022, 08:18 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,376 Likes on 2,008 Posts

For those with long term experience with this, any thoughts on the effectiveness of microfiber cleaner like Sonax makes? I hear so many people warn about microfiber steering wheels getting matted down and gross over time, wondering if these people have ever used a microfiber cleaner to try to fix this? I’ve heard first hand accounts that the cleaner makes it as good as new while others swear off microfiber like it’s ruined once it starts getting dirty and matted down.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:38 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by JockItch
For those with long term experience with this, any thoughts on the effectiveness of microfiber cleaner like Sonax makes? I hear so many people warn about microfiber steering wheels getting matted down and gross over time, wondering if these people have ever used a microfiber cleaner to try to fix this? I’ve heard first hand accounts that the cleaner makes it as good as new while others swear off microfiber like it’s ruined once it starts getting dirty and matted down.
https://www.lenosgarage.com/blogs/au...e-or-alcantara

I much prefer the Alcantara interior & steering wheel in my Z to the leather interiors & steering wheels in my other cars. In my ‘12 GS I went with a full custom leather interior & custom leather wheel. All interior plastic pieces were covered in leather. For my Z I did the same but this time with Alcantara - so much better.
The following 2 users liked this post by JABCAT:
imxz28 (03-01-2022), JockItch (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 08:46 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,376 Likes on 2,008 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
https://www.lenosgarage.com/blogs/au...e-or-alcantara

I much prefer the Alcantara interior & steering wheel in my Z to the leather interiors & steering wheels in my other cars. In my ‘12 GS I went with a full custom leather interior & custom leather wheel. All interior plastic pieces were covered in leather. For my Z I did the same but this time with Alcantara - so much better.

So it takes a little more effort to maintain once or twice a year… don’t see how this is such a big deal people make it out to be. Unless you habitually eat French fries or other greasy foods when driving… this is a non-issue IMO.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:58 AM
C8Zeb06
Pro

Received 493 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
Avoid suede/Alcantara if you typically have greasy hands. It soaks up the grease and you’ll never get it out.

I test drove a used Camaro SS a few years ago and despite it having been detailed it was gross. The original owner must have eaten fries or buffalo wings while he drove because the Alcantara wheel was matted flat and slippery smooth from the grease. Absolutely disgusting.

I don’t eat in my cars but I still prefer leather. I love the feel and as it wears in it only gets better. I’ve never had an Alcantara steering wheel but I can’t believe it stands up to use as well as leather.
I had Alcantara in my M3 and it's easy to clean. It will mat down over time too but the best way to clean and fluff it back to life is a tooth brush and warm water with a little dish soap in it. Then just tamp it dry and you're good to go.
The following 5 users liked this post by C8Zeb06:
Big Lebowski (02-28-2022), JABCAT (02-28-2022), JockItch (02-28-2022), Rapid Fred (02-28-2022), Zerofun (02-28-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Interior Suede vs Leather

Old 02-28-2022, 09:04 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

So it takes a little more effort to maintain once or twice a year… don’t see how this is such a big deal people make it out to be. Unless you habitually eat French fries or other greasy foods when driving… this is a non-issue IMO.
In my experience many people just don’t want to put in much effort above wiping something off with a microfiber towel every once in awhile.
The following 3 users liked this post by JABCAT:
Big Lebowski (02-28-2022), JockItch (02-28-2022), Savoy2001 (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 09:25 AM
lrs3
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My current daily driver is a 2016 Shelby GT350 with the microfiber steering wheel. I don't eat in my car, so the steering wheel stays pretty clean, but I've had very good luck with the Sonax cleaner. I use it every few months. Even with clean hands, the microfiber does get matted down a bit over time. The Sonax cleaner brings it back, and it's very easy to use.

All in all, however, I still prefer a leather steering wheel.
JockItch (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 09:39 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
In my experience many people just don’t want to put in much effort above wiping something off with a microfiber towel every once in awhile.
While generally true, the funny thing is there are a large number of people on this forum who buy all kinds of leather cleaners and conditioners and work on their plastic coated leather like it's a saddle for hours multiple times a year. Some of them are the same ones who will claim the Alcantara (although different brand) is too hard to clean and probably never owned it.

The fake microfiber suede stuff holds up great in general and is pretty easy to care for. I would focus the decision on which like the looks/feel of better and not in care, they'll both be relatively easy to deal with. Probably not applicable to anyone buying a new Z06, but if it was a daily driver sitting out in the sun all day, I would think 10 years and 100k miles down the road the leather is more likely to have cracking and wear issues.

I've been going back in forth but have really liked my Camaro's fakey-suede much more than I thought I would and am leaning that direction.
JockItch (02-28-2022)

Quick Reply: Interior Suede vs Leather