Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HTC vs. Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 05:24 AM
Dmstone
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default HTC vs. Coupe

I’m about 8 months out until I need to make a decision on how I want my C8 to be configured but I wanted to see who has had both a HTC and coupe or been in both with the top down/off.

Originally, I wanted a coupe as you can pop the top off for that convertible experience. I also like the idea of being able to see the engine. It is a unique feature. however, the HTC objectively looks a lot better when the top is down than a coupe with the top off. My analysis right now between how the HTC looks and seeing the engine in the coupe is literally a toss up. I’m not being pulled hard either way. Is there anything else I should consider when making my decision an is there anyone here that would have went the other direction from which you ordered?

Popular Reply

07-08-2022, 08:05 AM
snarkesor61
Racer

Received 319 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmstone
I’m about 8 months out until I need to make a decision on how I want my C8 to be configured but I wanted to see who has had both a HTC and coupe or been in both with the top down/off.

Originally, I wanted a coupe as you can pop the top off for that convertible experience. I also like the idea of being able to see the engine. It is a unique feature. however, the HTC objectively looks a lot better when the top is down than a coupe with the top off. My analysis right now between how the HTC looks and seeing the engine in the coupe is literally a toss up. I’m not being pulled hard either way. Is there anything else I should consider when making my decision an is there anyone here that would have went the other direction from which you ordered?
I changed my order to HTC in my last update. Here is my take:
  • The HTC feature is awesome.- best decision I made (besides sticking with Z51). With my C7 coupe I drove with the top off 20% of the time, with my C8 its 90% because it's sooo easy and convenient. Plus - it's really cool!
  • I actually like the look of the HTC better - more sleek.
  • Love the rear window.
  • While seeing the engine is cool...this is not an engine unique to the C8. Plus, while I keep my car spotless, this is one less thing I'd have to detail!
  • Top can be down and I still have the trunk and the frunk.
  • No wind buffeting issues on highway driving (does not bother me and I love that I can still hear my music!)
No regrets and just my opinion. Good Luck!
Old 07-08-2022, 05:49 AM
Amoreloba
Drifting

Received 2,547 Likes on 902 Posts

Lots of kits out there now allowing HTC owners to peep the engine. Clear tonneau, beauty covers, etc. I agree the HTC top down is the superior look for the C8. I went with the coupe solely for the fact that an HTC is needless complication of engineering and have dealt with enough of that on cherman enginerding. I’m pale as a vampire and like to stay that way so an HTC really doesn’t make sense for me anyway. Top on with my coupe is about 95+% of my driving.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (07-10-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 06:22 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,922 Likes on 3,117 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Your call as to the coupe/convertible but I still like the traditional rag top convertibles where you had a noticeable difference
The following 2 users liked this post by 449er:
Kevin A Jones (07-10-2022), TXFlyGuy (07-13-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 06:36 AM
seafordguy
Racer

Received 380 Likes on 190 Posts

I Find that I look all 4 looks top up or down on both the coupe and HTC.

in the end I faced the reality that I could own the car 5 years and probably only take the top off a couple times so it just wasn’t worth it to me. I don’t want to roast in the sun so most Virginia days between may and June are out, and I HATE being cold so most October through march days are out so it really narrowed down when I’ll even think about taking top off.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:28 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,698 Likes on 866 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I Find that I look all 4 looks top up or down on both the coupe and HTC.

in the end I faced the reality that I could own the car 5 years and probably only take the top off a couple times so it just wasn’t worth it to me. I don’t want to roast in the sun so most Virginia days between may and June are out, and I HATE being cold so most October through march days are out so it really narrowed down when I’ll even think about taking top off.
I live in Maryland and had a C6 GS convertible that I hardly lowered the top on for the same reason. This factored into my getting a C8 coupe rather than a HTC. It wasn’t worth $9k to add a feature I’d hardly ever use.

Personally speaking, the car doesn’t look much different with the top down or roof off between the HTC and coupe respectively and if being able to see the engine is important to the OP, then I recommend the coupe. I don’t trust the possible long-term consequences of these aftermarket clear cover packages for the HTC, but it’s fair to mention the option if being able to see the engine is important to the OP.

So to recap:
1. If the OP opts for the HTC, he should consider the trade off of not being able to see the engine without purchasing a clear cover that may present problems long-term.

2. I don’t where the OP lives, so local weather may play a role in his decision if hasn’t yet considered it and factored it into how often he’d lower the top or remove the roof.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:33 AM
NAVY_LDO
Drifting

Received 898 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Top off driving in a coupe is almost intolerable at speeds in excess of 55, the buffeting is horrible. You can roll the windows up and it helps but kind of defeats the point of the top off experience. Driving in and around town is ok but then you have to put the top back on if your drive home involves a freeway.

On the flip side the transparent top is pretty awesome, you get the sunlight and a quiet air conditioned cabin.

Just my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by NAVY_LDO:
jbc1995fb (07-08-2022), Strake (07-10-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 07:42 AM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,446 Likes on 932 Posts

Coupe with the transparent roof for the win. Best of both worlds. You can see out when the top is up and if removed you get close to the convertible feel. Plus you can see the engine if that means something to you without having to purchase a clear aftermarket engine cover thingy.
The following 3 users liked this post by jbc1995fb:
C82021 (07-08-2022), Lit (07-08-2022), Rod1967 (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 07:58 AM
Radski
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 72 Posts

I am personally going to order the HTC when my number comes up. I really like the look of the nacelles, the rear window, and I won't have to worry about detailing the engine all the time. You can also put the top down with the key fob which I consider really convenient and you do not sacrifice trunk space. It's all about what you find more appealing.
The following 4 users liked this post by Radski:
2016c7fl (07-11-2022), cruisinjoe (07-12-2022), R23HTC (08-01-2022), Rapid Fred (07-09-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 08:05 AM
snarkesor61
Racer

Received 319 Likes on 123 Posts

I changed my order to HTC in my last update. Here is my take:
  • The HTC feature is awesome.- best decision I made (besides sticking with Z51). With my C7 coupe I drove with the top off 20% of the time, with my C8 its 90% because it's sooo easy and convenient. Plus - it's really cool!
  • I actually like the look of the HTC better - more sleek.
  • Love the rear window.
  • While seeing the engine is cool...this is not an engine unique to the C8. Plus, while I keep my car spotless, this is one less thing I'd have to detail!
  • Top can be down and I still have the trunk and the frunk.
  • No wind buffeting issues on highway driving (does not bother me and I love that I can still hear my music!)
No regrets and just my opinion. Good Luck!
The following 7 users liked this post by snarkesor61:
cruisinjoe (07-12-2022), JimminMarvinluder (07-09-2022), jovette (07-10-2022), mjannusch (07-10-2022), Rapid Fred (07-09-2022), speedlink (07-08-2022), Tuckermaclain (07-10-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-08-2022, 08:12 AM
jakeman007
Pro

Received 453 Likes on 216 Posts

HTC for me all the way. Once you've seen the engine bay with fancy colors and lights, the wow factor diminishes. However, nothing beats the wind, sounds, smells, etc of driving with the top down. As with any question of choice, you will get those for and those against. Got to get what you want and will enjoy the most of. For me, that is driving with a top down vs looking at the engine bay.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:13 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,948 Likes on 4,823 Posts

HTC is the way to go if you like and enjoy real top down driving. Top off with the coupe is a joke at highway speeds with all the wind buffeting and of course the need to remove it store it etc. Look wise it is HTC all the way and seeing the engine is nothing to get excited over, it is an engine lol.
The following 3 users liked this post by dvilin:
jakeman007 (07-08-2022), mjannusch (07-10-2022), Rapid Fred (07-09-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 08:18 AM
CWF
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I like driving with the top off of my C5 coupe but for short trips it's just a bit of a hassle to take off and store the top. I ordered the HTC because I can push a button to open or close and now will have no reason not to have the top down whenever I want without any effort. I will hopefully have my C8 HTC in another 6 weeks!
jakeman007 (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 08:28 AM
PColasanto
Melting Slicks

Received 1,662 Likes on 920 Posts

Have you ever had a convertible before, and if so, how often did you have the top down? If not, how often do you drive with the windows down in your current car vs preferring a controlled temp and quieter ride?

My last 3 Vettes have all been convertible, and I have the top down as much as humanly possible. I live in PA and the top is down most of May through October for me. 70 degrees? Top is down. 105 degrees? Top is down.

I had a C5 coupe when I was 22 and took the top off a lot more than most, but at that age it was easy. Father in law has had a C7 coupe for 8 years and says he’s only taken his off 3-4 times. It’s too awkward for him in his late 60s.

Others may disagree, but I’d say if you get the coupe, assume that you’ll only have the top off a couple times a year. If that’s all you want, save the money and see the engine. If you like the sun and wind, the convertible is about 10million times more convenient for topless driving. Especially the “operates up to 30MPH” aspect. Twice this week I had the top down when I went through rain. Top was back up within like 20 seconds as I slowed down for a red light. As soon as the pop up showers were gone, top was back down.
The following 2 users liked this post by PColasanto:
cruisinjoe (07-12-2022), NotScared (07-10-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 08:53 AM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 713 Likes on 397 Posts

I struggled with this same decision for a long time. I have been lucky enough to try out both a coupe and HTC side by side before ordering, so I could make an informed decision. With the roof panel off the coupe, there is a difference of about 6-8" in exposure over your head. its almost entirely over your shoulders and back of the head, so when sitting in the car and looking up, you see the exact same amount of open sky, the top off experience of the HTC does not vary that much vs the coupe. The real difference between them is how accessible the roof off experience is. HTC can't be easier... you push a button and the top goes down. The coupe roof panel is a PITA to remove and put back. Its a PITA to store too. Another thing to consider is how much you will be able to use it. I will not likely take the roof off much at all, only on really nice days when its really good convertible weather, because I live in Florida and the sun is just too freaking hot for me. I have two convertibles already that I rarely use, so I probably won't use this car like that either. Last point: The HTC costs $7k. Thats a big upcharge for a convertible, but it is a pretty cool convertible, so there is that. If it was 3-4k, then it would be an easier decision. But a $7k bump is hard to swallow for some budgets.

So for me, I found that the HTC is expensive, is not likely to be used very much in my lifestyle, does not look all that different from the coupe, and doesn't come with the clear engine cover from the factory. So obviously I bought a coupe, right?? Nope... I ordered an HTC. Why did I do that?? Well, because I am married, and my wife thinks the HTC is awesome. She says it "looks like a transformer", and she swears she will use the convertible all the time, because the only reason she doesn't use the convertibles on our other cars is because its too hard to put the roof up and down on them. She loves the idea of pushing a button and the entire top works, no levers or locks needed. She will never take the roof off the coupe. And she is not only on-board with me getting a $90k car, she is pitching in some money from her own savings to cover the cost of the HTC and 3LT (she also wanted the Tension Blue interior, I was fine with 1LT black myself!).

In summary... HTC is a pricey upgrade, but if you are planning to use the car as a convertible often, it's worth it. Actually I would say even if you are a budget conscious person, the best value is a 1LT HTC, vs a 2LT coupe. Everyone thinks the 2LT features are a must-have, but I think over the long haul you will forget about those little things included in the 2LT, but the HTC will always be something you notice and appreciate having. Also, if you are married, let your wife decide.

Last edited by mnm4ever; 07-08-2022 at 08:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mnm4ever:
marc514 (07-09-2022), rrichar2591 (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 08:56 AM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,073 Likes on 857 Posts

Coupe (targa really) has significantly more wind buffeting at high speeds with the top off than the HTC. That was my biggest deciding factor along with ease of use.

HTC Pros: less wind noise at speed, no trunk space lost, looks nice with the nacelles, ease of use (one button top down while moving up to 30mph)

HTC cons: more expensive, cant see the engine (unless u get that clear engine cover thing), mechanism motors unknown long term reliability (although the company that makes them has a long track record)

Coupe pros: can see engine, cheaper, no need to worry about mechanism motors

Coupe cons: can't put it down moving, takes up most of your rear trunk space when top is down, much noisier wind buffeting at high speeds
Mike Campbell (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 08:59 AM
Shoal07
Burning Brakes

Received 644 Likes on 309 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Big items for me:
  • The HTC looks better to me. I like the nacelles.
  • You don't see the engine, you see a plastic cover. This is the one area where some like Ferrari did it right and GM did it wrong.
  • Wind noise.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:01 AM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 713 Likes on 397 Posts

I forgot to add that with the coupe, I did not like how dirty it gets in the engine compartment and the rear glass, that would drive me nuts trying to keep it clean. No issues with that in the HTC. But I guess the HTC also gets that little pond of water between the nacelles in the rain, so it's a tradeoff.

Get notified of new replies

To HTC vs. Coupe

Old 07-08-2022, 09:30 AM
C82021
Burning Brakes

Received 539 Likes on 280 Posts

Bought the Coupe, love it, with top up I like look of Coupe better. Top down, HTC looks amazing.

But …Ive kinda changed my mind on “needs” after 1 year of driving the Coupe. Taking top off IS pretty simple and it works fine for me each time. I bought the Coupe because I thought “I live in a cold weather climate and when I want to do “top-down” well— it won’t be THAT OFTEN.

Heres what I didn’t forecast: Its driving the C8 that’s “not that often” not the “top down” part lol….

When you store the car all winter, don’t drive it on rainy days or bad weather…guess what: almost all the time it’s “top down weather” even in the north!

So I learned in the past year…I DO drive top-down, like ALL the time …AND I’m ALWAYS putting that top in the trunk which, while easy, is a PITA all the time. And on a nice weekend getaway trip recently didn’t allow me to do top-down due to luggage storage..

Soo.just imo…if you’re on the fence and the $7k or whatever isn’t an issue…I might go with HTC after all…my learned real -life usage points me there …good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by C82021:
PColasanto (07-08-2022), Rapid Fred (07-09-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 09:47 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 4,233 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Is there anything else I should consider when making my decision an is there anyone here that would have went the other direction from which you ordered?
I have the HTC - and I would not have bought a C8 if it had not been available as an HTC. The view of the engine through the glass is cool, and I really like that, but it was not a factor for me. But, since you asked, here are some other things to consider:
1. Someone mentioned "lots" of kits to see the engine on the HTC. As far as I know, there is only 1 clear engine cover on the market right now - and even then you must raise the tonneau to see it. There is another in the works that has not been fully revealed yet. The person working on that reports that he wants to also develop a way to see it though the tonneau as well. If that pans out,it is a long way off. Others have modified the engine cover so it is held on with magnets instead of screws, so it can be quickly removed to see the engine.
2. All HTCs come with the camera rear view mirror, even the 1LT. But, the camera is on the roof, so with the top down, that feature is disabled. That has not been a problem for me.
3. The retracted top on the HTC takes up no room in the trunk. You have full trunk usage. With the coupe, the top is stored in the trunk, and takes nearly all the useful space.
4. Many folks report that wind noise is less with the HTC top down than it is with the top off on the coupe. Many, but a few do not.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:51 AM
Ken_C8
Melting Slicks

Received 901 Likes on 416 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '21

As soon as I learned about the HTC and the ability to lower the top from the key fob I was sold. My C7 coupe had a transparent top and I used to burn my hands putting that SOB in the trunk on a hot day. I used to dream of a day where I could stow the roof with the press of the button.

I absolutely love the HTC and my Z06 with be an HTC, too.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: HTC vs. Coupe