C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What modifications reduce value?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 10:18 PM
Wacko
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What modifications reduce value?

It is generally assumed that when you do modifications to a car, it loses value in the end. However, I am curious as to what modifications don't reduce value. I have a 2013 C6 GS with only 11.5k miles and I have done a few things, and this question crossed my mind. I never plan on selling the car at any point due to personal reasons, but I am curious! If there's anything that increases value, what would that be? Just trying to understand how this works. Here is what I have done so far if you're curious:
-Morimoto headlights
-Spoiler lip
-Side Skirts
-Sony stereo with Apple Carplay
-Basic tune for torque management removal and shift point adjustments
-JL audio subwoofer

Thank you guys!

Popular Reply

06-25-2024, 11:08 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 875 Likes on 504 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Oh my, I could go on forever about increased/decreased value and stock vs. mods......but that's already been done in this post. I actually bought (as many already know) a salvaged car and did the rebuild myself. I've been retired for 18 years and that was in my budget. The car turned out amazing and has a LOT of mods. S/C'd LS7, Belanger Custom Tri-Y Headers, ported and polished heads, C7 style wheels, custom interior, 6M, and the list goes on and on. Show winner, and a very visceral, loud and very very fast. I'm 75 years old and don't plan to sell the car, just enjoy it! I have about $25k in the car, including the price of the car, and someone actually offered me $35k for it and I turned it down. So, do I care what its value is as a modded car? Not one bit. I don't look at it as a trophy but a tool that needs to be driven and enjoyed. I don't care how many miles I put on it. It has been absolutely a very reliable car with absolutely no issues. I would drive it across the country with no thought at all. Mods are my thing. I am not a keep it stock guy because there are out there all over the place, but no one has a car like mine. It's a personal decision, and I'm never going back to stock......my car is better than stock, and MUCH faster (if that's your thing....because its my thing as an old drag racer!). Buy what you like, and do with it what you want as life goes by very fast.....just ask me how fast its gone for me at 75 yers old! Blessings to everyone........be safe and happy Vetting!
Old 06-24-2024, 10:27 PM
TortugaGS
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Wacko
It is generally assumed that when you do modifications to a car, it loses value in the end. However, I am curious as to what modifications don't reduce value. I have a 2013 C6 GS with only 11.5k miles and I have done a few things, and this question crossed my mind. I never plan on selling the car at any point due to personal reasons, but I am curious! If there's anything that increases value, what would that be? Just trying to understand how this works. Here is what I have done so far if you're curious:
-Morimoto headlights
-Spoiler lip
-Side Skirts
-JL audio subwoofer

Thank you guys!
A sure way to reduce value is anything that is not easily reversible to stock. Say like custom stripes or graphics, a bunch of emblems, stuff like that. To most people, audio updates and a tune maybe exhaust and intake would be considered to add value albeit you won't get back what you paid.

Of course there are some people that will say if its not 100% stock, it will lose value. IMHO that is true if you have a collector grade sub 100 mile car. If it's driven even just as a weekend toy, a few tasteful mods make it your own and nothing wrong with that.

The following 2 users liked this post by TortugaGS:
NBVette_Canada (06-25-2024), Vettelagged (06-25-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Wacko
Intermediate

All very good points. Thank you for the response! I think that is the right way to go about it too, just making it your own car and enjoying the experiece.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wacko:
NBVette_Canada (06-25-2024), TortugaGS (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 10:48 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,446 Likes on 932 Posts

-Morimoto headlights
-Spoiler lip
-Side Skirts
-JL audio subwoofer

Thank you guys!
Well the first thing is you bought the best color, lol. Our cars are massed produced so I don't really think there's stuff that is going to increase the value. If you park it and don't drive it, it might not lose value.

I think the mods you've described are tasteful and wouldn't hurt the value.

Did you ever get black wheels? I know you had made a couple threads about it several years ago.

The following users liked this post:
sahhas (06-26-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 11:17 PM
Wacko
Intermediate

Yours is stunning! I love it. Ours look blisteringly similar. I forgot to add that I got the Morimoto side marker lights, so mine has an ever-so-slight difference. I am going for that same white and black look.

As far as my wheels, I plasti-dipped them originally, and that didn't work out super well. So I ended up powedercoating the aluminum wheels, and the job wasn't the best. There are some chips of powder coat coming off, but it is hard to notice. However, once I had to get the tires replaced, the separator (not sure what it's called) scraped off most of the powder coat on the edge of the wheel, so my wheels are botched right now. Not sure I want to pay for another powder coat or just leave it. I have some more updated pictures of the car for you.

The following 2 users liked this post by Wacko:
jbc1995fb (06-24-2024), NBVette_Canada (06-25-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 11:23 PM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 183 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It depends on the buyer. When I was looking, I would only consider 100% stock cars and that’s what I bought.
Vettelagged (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 05:11 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,618 Likes on 1,760 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Pretty subjective honestly. I rarely see supercharged Grand Sports going for stock Grand Sport money, usually more (or z06s for that matter). So I would say to a degree some mods add value, but also decrease the pool of buyers. It really depends on the buyer and what they value though.
The following 5 users liked this post by StayinStock:
FAUEE (06-25-2024), NBVette_Canada (06-25-2024), RocketRob (06-25-2024), TortugaGS (06-25-2024), Vettelagged (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 05:28 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by lilcuda
It depends on the buyer. When I was looking, I would only consider 100% stock cars and that’s what I bought.
Same here, and if the engine had any mods that was a walk away for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr D.:
2500 hd (06-25-2024), Vettelagged (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 08:00 AM
NuToVettes
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I could feel my cars value plummet when I installed a EOS Extended ZR1 lip kit. It’s a permanent modification so I know it will deter a few potential buyers when it comes time.
FAUEE (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 08:25 AM
Blackwater0323
Racer

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts

I track modded cars on the forum. Heavily modded cars take much longer to sell and do not fetch a dollar more unless it was owned by Mario Andretti or Michael Jackson. I personally have light mods like CAI or X pipe that can be easily reversed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blackwater0323:
Kevin Mason (06-26-2024), Vettelagged (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 08:45 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,642 Likes on 2,892 Posts

-Morimoto headlights
-Spoiler lip
-Side Skirts
-JL audio subwoofer

Thank you guys!
IMO, the tune will bring up questions about who did it and how good a.job was done and will reduce value to many.

The morimotos may reduce value, if the car doesn't have the OEM lights in good condition (which it likely doesn't).

Side skirts could be an issue as those get riveted on. If a buyer doesn't like them, holes in the rocker could hurt value.

Then again, you might find a buyer that loves all those things and will pay for them. It's gonna also depend on if your car is a 100k mile driver car, or a 15k mile creampuff.
Vettelagged (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 09:32 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
IMO, the tune will bring up questions about who did it and how good a.job was done and will reduce value to many.

The morimotos may reduce value, if the car doesn't have the OEM lights in good condition (which it likely doesn't).

Side skirts could be an issue as those get riveted on. If a buyer doesn't like them, holes in the rocker could hurt value.

Then again, you might find a buyer that loves all those things and will pay for them. It's gonna also depend on if your car is a 100k mile driver car, or a 15k mile creampuff.
I really struggled a lot with my Grand Sport because I went down the path of over-modding my 2008 Z06. The entire driveline was overhauled except the transmission. I was into that car for ~$30K above what I paid for it, which at the end of the day would have put me into a ZR1 with the same power level and zero compromise to the drivability. Needless to say, I lost my a$$ on it when I finally threw in the towel and cut my losses.

So for the Grand Sport, the only things I've done so far was to bring it up to date and make it more relevant by adding modern headlights, taillights, and head unit with CarPlay and backup camera. Of course, the ZR1 aero did get me to put holes in the rocker panels, but there was already paint damage under the nose from steep driveways, so I knew it would never be a "collector' car. I've kept all stock components even though one fog light has the pins broken off and the tops of the stock headlights also have a couple of broken retainer pins that held the gasket, but they are perfectly salvageable. Why anyone would want to go back to the stock worthless nav unit is beyond me, but no harnesses were cut in the process with the MAX-DIN.

I am really struggling with under the hood. The last thing I want is another money pit. Do I bite the bullet and drop another $10K into it for a blower with supporting mods, or do I just leave the rest of it alone and make fancy covers for the car shows? Honestly, I think I'm done. I'm already upside down in the value of the car compared to what I've put into it, so it doesn't make sense to continue to dump money into it knowing full well I'll never get it back. Besides, as soon as they work all the bugs out of the C8 and the prices continue to drop, I might be in one of those. My boss just bought a 2024 Red Mist Z06, and I am in love with it.
Old 06-25-2024, 09:38 AM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 111 Posts

The general rule as I feel: A safe mod is anything that can be removed later without leaving holes, scars, or shadowing fade-marks from the sun.
Old 06-25-2024, 09:45 AM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,446 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteVinnie
I really struggled a lot with my Grand Sport because I went down the path of over-modding my 2008 Z06. The entire driveline was overhauled except the transmission. I was into that car for ~$30K above what I paid for it, which at the end of the day would have put me into a ZR1 with the same power level and zero compromise to the drivability. Needless to say, I lost my a$$ on it when I finally threw in the towel and cut my losses.

So for the Grand Sport, the only things I've done so far was to bring it up to date and make it more relevant by adding modern headlights, taillights, and head unit with CarPlay and backup camera. Of course, the ZR1 aero did get me to put holes in the rocker panels, but there was already paint damage under the nose from steep driveways, so I knew it would never be a "collector' car. I've kept all stock components even though one fog light has the pins broken off and the tops of the stock headlights also have a couple of broken retainer pins that held the gasket, but they are perfectly salvageable. Why anyone would want to go back to the stock worthless nav unit is beyond me, but no harnesses were cut in the process with the MAX-DIN.

I am really struggling with under the hood. The last thing I want is another money pit. Do I bite the bullet and drop another $10K into it for a blower with supporting mods, or do I just leave the rest of it alone and make fancy covers for the car shows? Honestly, I think I'm done. I'm already upside down in the value of the car compared to what I've put into it, so it doesn't make sense to continue to dump money into it knowing full well I'll never get it back. Besides, as soon as they work all the bugs out of the C8 and the prices continue to drop, I might be in one of those. My boss just bought a 2024 Red Mist Z06, and I am in love with it.
You were all over the place with your post.... should I, shouldn't I. You know the answer is Don't Do it. You already said you lost your *** on the '08 Z06.

I think it helps to have a plan for what the car is mainly used for. They already come with more than enough HP to really use on the street.

If a person is really into racing, then upgrading key components for HP increase, or handling make sense.
If a person is really into entering their car into car shows, then spend the money on cosmetic stuff to catch people's eye and make sure the paint, etc. are all clean and perfect. Do some stuff cosmetically under the hood to dress it up.
You've already done some nice stuff w/ the lights, radio.

Best of luck,
Jason
RocketRob (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 09:51 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 452 Likes on 387 Posts

+1 Post 2
"A sure way to reduce value is anything that is not easily reversible to stock." "There are some people that will say if its not 100% stock, it will lose value."
These quotes may be what you find ITRW (the reality).

Your thread offers a discussion.
IMO Any engine mod or body/ paint work reduces value.
Other mods like custom leather, wheels, and chrome add no value (or 10 cents on the dollars spent value)

What increases value?
There may be two aspects.
1) At a dealership trade-in, nothing, except perhaps maintenance records/ no scratches, but that is not a $1,000 value increase.
2) At a private party sale, you need to have a unique buyer who likes the mods, such as upgraded stereo, brakes, interior, and exhaust; then you may have an increase over "book" value.
Yet even with private parties, that leads to Post 2 quotes, "there are some people that will say if its not 100% stock, it will lose value".

In closing, I am unsure if there is any mod that will increase value. If I had to make a choice I would say stereo speakers.

FWIW I wish modifications did increase dealership trade-in value
TortugaGS (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 09:54 AM
Red86Cfour
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 120 Posts

I don't know what adds value, maybe different wheels, but tow hooks definitely drop value IMO!
Old 06-25-2024, 09:56 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by lilcuda
Ditto.

The only exception for me, really, is if the infotainment system was upgrade to 21st century equipment, but even then I'd be wary of it and insist that I get the original parts. But even then, I wouldn't pay extra for it.

I had a very highly modified C4 track car that when the time came, I couldn't give away. Of course, as a track car, it is reasonable to assume that it had the p*** driven out of it. Which would have been accurate.

Get notified of new replies

To What modifications reduce value?

Old 06-25-2024, 09:57 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,618 Likes on 1,760 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I struggled with where to stop on my current car. The temptation to throw a blower on it has always been there, but as I've gotten a bit older and wiser I've realized I can have more fun not having to constantly work on it. My C5 was a self made nightmare and even though it was stupid fast it was also constant tinkering and work. I decided a cam only build on the Grand Sport was the sweet spot for what I wanted to be able to do with the car and I gotta say I'm happy I quit where I did. That being said, if I came into a surplus of funding I would for sure buy a second car (probably a c7 GS) to leave stockish (cause I can't leave anything stock-stock) and would go stupid on this car. At the end of the day you never get your money out of them so rather your modding or leaving it stock just know your doing it for the love of doing it, not the investment. Cars are terrible investments, especially mass produced ones.
The following 3 users liked this post by StayinStock:
jbc1995fb (06-25-2024), NBVette_Canada (06-25-2024), RocketRob (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 10:01 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Originally Posted by jbc1995fb
You were all over the place with your post.... should I, shouldn't I

Best of luck,
Jason
LOL! I know. I was mostly talking to myself out loud and sharing my personal experience while also illustrating the ongoing internal struggle not to mess with it. Of course, my wife is constantly pressuring me to save the money and put it towards her outdoor kitchen, something else that may or may not bring a return on investment.

Bottom line, mods don't really add value. And in some cases they can actually hurt value unless it's a Calloway or a Katech built street or track machine. And even then you'll never get the labor costs out of it. These cars are not an investment unless you picked up a ZR1 at the bottom of the market 4-5 years ago.

The following 4 users liked this post by VetteVinnie:
jbc1995fb (06-25-2024), NBVette_Canada (06-25-2024), RocketRob (06-25-2024), Sayfoo (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 01:45 PM
hiperfman
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Suppliers of dirty oil for 50 years Oilberta/ In Mex enjoying the winter.
Received 82 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Same here, and if the engine had any mods that was a walk away for me.

Quick Reply: What modifications reduce value?