C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 multimedia upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 02:15 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Default C2 multimedia upgrade?

After about a year of looking for the right (for me) C1/C2 restomod I finally completed the purchase of a 1966 Stingray vert. Virtually all new high end components from the frame up. I'll post pictures once it's delivered if I can remember how to do it. Have been away from the forum for awhile.

As for the reason for the post I was wondering if anyone has a C2 that they installed a "iPad' type screen in the dash? My car has the antique bluetooth radio but would love to have a system with navigation and apple car play. There is a 67 split window restomod at mecum going on sale in July that has what I'm referring to if interested in having a look. Any comments or ideas welcome. Thx!

Knowing how much we all like to see pictures of Corvette's here's a link to the one I just bought. If posting links is a no no please let me know... like I said been away awhile.

https://www.cruisinclassicsinc.com/v...vette-restomod

Last edited by C6Tim; 06-27-2024 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Adding link to pictures
Old 06-27-2024, 04:17 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,516 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

One word.....WOW! Dennis
Old 06-27-2024, 04:20 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,137 Likes on 4,899 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

For that price the front bumpers should fit
Old 06-27-2024, 04:47 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
For that price the front bumpers should fit
Yeah, terrible fit... I'll be ashamed to be seen driving it.
The following 3 users liked this post by C6Tim:
ChrisBlair (06-27-2024), mike coletta (06-28-2024), smacota1 (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 09:22 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Received 628 Likes on 367 Posts

Pretty sweet car & congrats on your purchase! I am in the engineering side of the concept car business, & we also do a little of nostalgia cars that we completely rethink inside & out on 7 digit budgets, so the vision & ideas come from the minds some of the best automotive creative designers there are, amd how we execute thier vision is always the challenge.

Looking at the packaging room, the only room I see is something custom built using the footprint of the center speaker. A custom built touchscreen connected to an interface to run things. You're alo gonna have issues with glare, especially in a convertible. I often think of this kind of set up in my C2 convertible, but so far, I haven't made any moves to make it happen.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:35 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rob_64-365
Pretty sweet car & congrats on your purchase! I am in the engineering side of the concept car business, & we also do a little of nostalgia cars that we completely rethink inside & out on 7 digit budgets, so the vision & ideas come from the minds some of the best automotive creative designers there are, amd how we execute thier vision is always the challenge.

Looking at the packaging room, the only room I see is something custom built using the footprint of the center speaker. A custom built touchscreen connected to an interface to run things. You're alo gonna have issues with glare, especially in a convertible. I often think of this kind of set up in my C2 convertible, but so far, I haven't made any moves to make it happen.
Yeah, definitely a tight area to work with for a "mini iPad infotainment center". There is a restomod split window that I saw being sold at either Barrett Jackson or Mecum that had a built-in system like we are describing. That's where I got the idea and started this thread to see if it was an after market piece that was available for purchase. I didn't think so but posted here because of the wide audience to see if there was something out there google was finding. Thanks for the compliment on the car.
Old 06-28-2024, 08:04 AM
Dejavet
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 19 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a 65 custom car similar to yours and I considered the same modification during my build. After much thought I decided not to install a monitor screen. As I looked at the cars that did this in the past I found that the screen dated the car build. This technology and the apps change so quickly it is hard to stay current. Instead I simply use my iPhone. I got a phone holder that has a suction mount that will fit on the face of my clock. I then installed a usb connector in the ash tray. When I am not driving the car I put the phone holder in the glove compartment and the dash looks clean. When I travel I will mount the iPhone and I always have the latest GPS at my finger tips and my music plays via bluetooth to my car sound system.

Dejavet
Old 06-28-2024, 11:27 AM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dejavet
I have a 65 custom car similar to yours and I considered the same modification during my build. After much thought I decided not to install a monitor screen. As I looked at the cars that did this in the past I found that the screen dated the car build. This technology and the apps change so quickly it is hard to stay current. Instead I simply use my iPhone. I got a phone holder that has a suction mount that will fit on the face of my clock. I then installed a usb connector in the ash tray. When I am not driving the car I put the phone holder in the glove compartment and the dash looks clean. When I travel I will mount the iPhone and I always have the latest GPS at my finger tips and my music plays via bluetooth to my car sound system.

Dejavet
I will most likely do the same except i'm going to see if I can find a mounting bracket for a mini iPad that I can make work for my car. Will have to be something that can be easily removed from the dash when not in use like your setup. Like most of us over 50 I need reading glasses so figuring out how I can use a larger screen like a mini iPad would be ideal. The car I bought was built to drive and I plan to rack up the miles every chance I get when it's not raining so comfort and convenience is important to me.
Old 06-28-2024, 12:21 PM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,953 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Depending on how much work you want to do, dynamic corvette makes a double din radio panel. Also, Mike made a pop up video screen 15 years ago and I included a link to the video.

Pop up video link.

You could also check out and see what units like this are available.

Old 06-28-2024, 01:47 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I consider myself somewhat handy but that's above me. I love the ingenuity especially being done so many years ago. Loved the smokey sound track as well.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:18 PM
anyChevy
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread reminds me of this Star Trek scene

Old 06-28-2024, 09:40 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 857 Likes on 589 Posts

https://www.google.com/search?client...m1rj3Atyc,st:0

Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 798 Likes on 443 Posts

I was inspired by a post by Ken Sungula (sp?) on how he installed a pop up backup camera under the center speaker cover. I did something similar and am quite happy with it, but it was a lot of work. This guy did a pop up iPad, but again, lots of time and fabrication. I haven't seen any kits that do this.

You bought a great looking car! Drive it and enjoy it

-Patrick
Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the comments/info.. I agree with Dejavet that future technology changes can quickly outdate any "hard" install of electronic devices like a mini iPad. I see there are a few different temporary/removable "mounting brackets" for a mini iPad but not sure which if any would work on a C2 dash. In the meantime, I ordered a suction cup bracket for my iPhone to stick to the clock face as Dejavet also suggested. My first priority is to see about having a charging port installed somewhere (probably ash tray).
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM
polo91
Drifting

Received 1,060 Likes on 497 Posts

I'm in my car almost every day and would like some of the modern stuff we are all used to. I've given it a lot of thought and the best I came up with was an AAR radio/Bluetooth and some good rear speakers. To me, the main problem is that the C2 cluster and dash in is perfect the way GM made it. With the exception of a stitched leather pad (which I would love to have) anything else is a minus IMHO. I run electronic tach and speedo, but you can't tell them from stock except for the digital odometer.
Old Today, 01:19 AM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by polo91
I'm in my car almost every day and would like some of the modern stuff we are all used to. I've given it a lot of thought and the best I came up with was an AAR radio/Bluetooth and some good rear speakers. To me, the main problem is that the C2 cluster and dash in is perfect the way GM made it. With the exception of a stitched leather pad (which I would love to have) anything else is a minus IMHO. I run electronic tach and speedo, but you can't tell them from stock except for the digital odometer.
yeah I have the antique radio with Bluetooth so should be able to stream Apple Music or pandora. I would like Sirius radio as well. Any body installed one in your ride or point me toward an expert. I haven’t been to shows or cars and coffee in quite awhile so plan to do more networking to find where the best shops are to take your car. My car is pretty perfect(if I say so myself) everything is brand new and high end parts but they could have made it a 300k car if they spent more on a custom interior. I want to spend some time finding a good upholstery shop to redo the whole thing with high end leather. A great custom interior will make a 200k a 300k. My mind just went blank and I can’t think of his name right now he Is famous for his restomod I believe he just sold a c2 restomod at auction around 800k. If anyone has any experiences with custom upholstery shops you take car for maintenance etc. I have owned 5 different corvettes over the years but all late model. First time owning a restomod and going to enjoy the sh../tar out of it whenever I can and the weather cooperates.not gonna lie, not drunk but had 2 Bacardi and cokes and feel fine. I’ll read this over tomorrow and see how bad I did. Haha. On my iPhone no less!

Get notified of new replies

To C2 multimedia upgrade?

Quick Reply: C2 multimedia upgrade?