Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tires???

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
shaggyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 205 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12, '19, '21

Default New Tires???

It's probably been asked a million times before but, here goes. What do you guys like for everyday use tires? Looks like I need to replace mine and would like some advice. I don't track the car, don't drive in the winter, just everyday stuff. Ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Dave

Popular Reply

Yesterday, 10:18 PM
Zormecteon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,451 Likes on 708 Posts

The All Seasnon Michelins that come with the car.. The car was designed around the tire and the tire with the car in mind...

Every decision in a car is a compromise. Thhe same with Tire Design. Can you get more grip? Sure. Can you get greater longevity? Yes.. But these are mutually exclusive. Quieter? Better ride? Uh huh, maybe. Michelins are the best "all around". taking everything into consideration, .. Engineers know their stuff.
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM
Zormecteon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,451 Likes on 708 Posts

The All Seasnon Michelins that come with the car.. The car was designed around the tire and the tire with the car in mind...

Every decision in a car is a compromise. Thhe same with Tire Design. Can you get more grip? Sure. Can you get greater longevity? Yes.. But these are mutually exclusive. Quieter? Better ride? Uh huh, maybe. Michelins are the best "all around". taking everything into consideration, .. Engineers know their stuff.
The following 11 users liked this post by Zormecteon:
4thC4at60 (Today), Andybump (Today), BearZ06 (Today), Chemdawg99 (Today), Jbal (Today), JerryU (Today), NORTY (Today), proeagles (Today), Red C8 of Jax (Today), RKCRLR (Today), V Vette (Today) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 20,035 Likes on 14,429 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I agree with the stock all season Michelins. Very good tires.
The following 4 users liked this post by Vetteman Jack:
Andybump (Today), frankjr (Today), Red C8 of Jax (Today), RKCRLR (Today)
Old Today, 06:58 AM
Jeffreyframe
Heel & Toe

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Shaggy,
If you want the absolute finest ride in sports car tires available today that would be Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer only.
A little-known fact about this particular tire is the sidewall construction, its single ply sidewall. This engineering aspect creates the softest ride that can be purchased for any type of car they will fit on.
I purchased a used cayman a few years ago and it had Michelin AS3 all season tires on, and it felt like it had bricks for wheels when it hit bumps. I purchased the pilot 4S summer only for it and when they were in my garage before install, I noticed the construction stamp on it showed two ply tread and single ply sidewall. They transformed that vehicle to a pillow like ride that definitely could not be beat. I notice the run flats on my new Z51 are also single ply sidewall 4S tires, but with the runflat integration on the OEM corvette tire ,they do not behave the same as the non run flat. But I can say I think the OEM run flat 4S is also a very good riding tire now that I've reduced the road noise in my car .

Last edited by Jeffreyframe; Today at 07:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RKCRLR (Today)
Old Today, 07:38 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,173 Posts

Many people have said how much they like the Continental non-runflat tires for a softer ride and less noise. I have them on my BMW and I can tell you that that's what I found also.
Acpantera (Today)
Old Today, 09:18 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,723 Likes on 880 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by shaggyvette
It's probably been asked a million times before but, here goes. What do you guys like for everyday use tires? Looks like I need to replace mine and would like some advice. I don't track the car, don't drive in the winter, just everyday stuff. Ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Dave
I didn't see what kind of Stingray you have (read: Z51 or non-Z51). I didn't read the entire thread before responding.

Whether you choose the Z51 package, which includes the summer max performance Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires, or the Michelin Pilot All Season 4, which includes the Stingray without the Z51 package, you can't go wrong with either. That said, given your stated usage of the car, you should go with the Pilot Sport 4 S tires (since you don't drive it in the winter).
Old Today, 09:31 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,520 Likes on 3,577 Posts

If you never drive in snow or ice and rarely drive in cold wet conditions then get/stick with the OEM runflat Michelin PS4S summer tires. If you plan to take road trips where you could hit adverse winter conditions then get/stick with the OEM runflat PS4 all-season tires.

If you prioritize noise and comfort above all else then there are some other tires out there (i.e., Continental DWS 06) that are slightly quieter and ride slightly softer but are non-runflat and sacrifice a little handling.
Old Today, 10:20 AM
shaggyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 205 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12, '19, '21

Thanks for all the great replies. It's a z51, by the way. Not sure which tires I'll get but, for sure they'll probably be run-flats. Thanks again!

Dave
RKCRLR (Today)
Old Today, 11:34 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the great replies. It's a z51, by the way. Not sure which tires I'll get but, for sure they'll probably be run-flats. Thanks again!

Dave
Given your stated use case, replace your OEM tires with the same, and don't give it another thought.
Old Today, 05:15 PM
IOSProKC
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 54 Posts

I still have the original Michelin All Seasons on my 24. They do just fine in all weather conditions including packed snow.
Old Today, 06:00 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,854 Likes on 6,774 Posts

Dave
Understand that Goodyear lost the business to Michelin when the C7 came out. Far better performance and great mileage.

Recall my 1988 Vette where I needed new tires after ~15,000 miles. Always liked Continental performance tires so bought those. Great tire, better traction BUT only got 10,000 miles! Compared to the Goodyears on my Z51 C6 and the Firestone I replaced those with the Michelins on my C7 Z51 were heads and shoulders better. May be somewhat better traction with another tire, like Micheline Cup 2s. But they look worn when new and no way will hey get the same mileage.

Since it doesn't snow in NE SC and I seldom have to drive when below 40F I ordered the higher traction Summer Michelins for my E-Ray. Same tire that comes on the C8 Z06. GM quotes those as 10% higher lateral "g" that the standard all seasons. Depends in your needs and priorities.

Old Today, 06:23 PM
Acpantera
Burning Brakes

Received 666 Likes on 312 Posts

I just can't ignore the physics, going 5# each lighter on the front and 7# lighter each on the rear going to DWS06 vs OEM will definitely make a more spritely street drive. Lived through it before..it's a thing.... 60 years of riding in and driving cars I have never experienced a catastrophic tire failer on the road. Never put a spare on ever and NEVER felt a heavy runflat was was a benefit.
Michelin zp tires are the best runflat tire for Corvettes, but not the best tire.
Old Today, 06:23 PM
Kwagnerhvac
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 43 Posts

This is the tire I will be going with it is time. Doing the research, this will serve my needs the best.

Continental extreme contact dsw06 plus all season tires
Acpantera (Today)
Old Today, 06:46 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Acpantera
I just can't ignore the physics, going 5# each lighter on the front and 7# lighter each on the rear going to DWS06 vs OEM will definitely make a more spritely street drive. Lived through it before..it's a thing.... 60 years of riding in and driving cars I have never experienced a catastrophic tire failer on the road. Never put a spare on ever and NEVER felt a heavy runflat was was a benefit.
Michelin zp tires are the best runflat tire for Corvettes, but not the best tire.
This is not a critique because I completely understand your point. You are making a tradeoff and that is okay

Your post conjured up two truisms in my mind when reading it.

1. Never say never.

2. It is better to have and not need than to need and not have.

The first truism is obvious, and I sincerely hope you will never need the safety that run-flat tires provide. I can honestly say that I haven't been that lucky. I have had a blowout before (nearly 30 years ago and not in a Corvette), and I have caught flats at least three times in Corvettes that would have left me stranded and waiting for USAA Roadside Assistance if I didn't have the OEM run-flat tires on my car.

The second truism is informed by the first. I'd almost agree with your point if we were talking about the old BadYear Run-Craps that came on the C5s and C6s. I went with different run-flats on my C5s (Michelin) and put Continental DWSs on one of my old C6s that I eventually replaced with Firestone Wide Ovals (a run-flat and a gorgeous tire).

Run-flat tire technology is vastly improved, and we might eventually see when all cars come equipped with run-flat tires. The performance penalty that used to go with having run-flat tires isn't nearly so stiff these days.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chemdawg99:
Acpantera (Today), rrichar2591 (Today)
Old Today, 06:51 PM
hamsandwich
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
If you never drive in snow or ice and rarely drive in cold wet conditions then get/stick with the OEM runflat Michelin PS4S summer tires. If you plan to take road trips where you could hit adverse winter conditions then get/stick with the OEM runflat PS4 all-season tires.

If you prioritize noise and comfort above all else then there are some other tires out there (i.e., Continental DWS 06) that are slightly quieter and ride slightly softer but are non-runflat and sacrifice a little handling.
how are the summer tires in dry cold conditions? My z51 obviously has the summer tires and curious if they’ll be fine in Colorado winter.
Old Today, 06:58 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,520 Likes on 3,577 Posts

Originally Posted by hamsandwich
how are the summer tires in dry cold conditions? My z51 obviously has the summer tires and curious if they’ll be fine in Colorado winter.
Summer tires are fine in cold dry conditions (above 20F). Watch this video and pay particular attention to the cold dry braking tests starting around 8:45:
hamsandwich (Today)
Old Today, 07:24 PM
Acpantera
Burning Brakes

Received 666 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
This is not a critique because I completely understand your point. You are making a tradeoff and that is okay

Your post conjured up two truisms in my mind when reading it.

1. Never say never.

2. It is better to have and not need than to need and not have.

The first truism is obvious, and I sincerely hope you will never need the safety that run-flat tires provide. I can honestly say that I haven't been that lucky. I have had a blowout before (nearly 30 years ago and not in a Corvette), and I have caught flats at least three times in Corvettes that would have left me stranded and waiting for USAA Roadside Assistance if I didn't have the OEM run-flat tires on my car.

The second truism is informed by the first. I'd almost agree with your point if we were talking about the old BadYear Run-Craps that came on the C5s and C6s. I went with different run-flats on my C5s (Michelin) and put Continental DWSs on one of my old C6s that I eventually replaced with Firestone Wide Ovals (a run-flat and a gorgeous tire).

Run-flat tire technology is vastly improved, and we might eventually see when all cars come equipped with run-flat tires. The performance penalty that used to go with having run-flat tires isn't nearly so stiff these days.
To the truism#1. My never is a sample of my 60 years of automotive experience, if I die tomorrow I'm 100% never have experienced a catastrophic tire failure, and my dad who was born in 1925 has never told me about a flat tire, and that guy drove like he was possessed till he turned 90 and bought his last buick, plenty of great car stories, no blow out stories. To truism #2 I love to use the " Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it", but in this case the need doesn't outway the want. Many people buy insurance out of fear, some people just roll the dice when the odds are in their favor.
Can't wait to drop the weight, I've felt the difference on other cars that went from heavy to lighter tires, this car with it's power to weight ratio will feel better undoubtedly.
Jeffreyframe (Today)
Old Today, 07:59 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 401 Likes on 254 Posts

Dave
For "everyday use" I'd recommend a less aggressive alignment. Camber specifically. Are the inside treads corded while the outside look "ok?"

Get notified of new replies

To New Tires???

Quick Reply: New Tires???