Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Grundy Insurance - Beware!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 01:53 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grundy Insurance - Beware!

Switched from Hagerty to Grundy a little over 2 months ago, predominantly because I heard Grundy had more liberal "use" language in their policy but also because was less expensive (secondary reason for switching though). Anyway, 2+ months later and still haven't received insurance package or card. Called last month and they said they will send it right out (all I have as an email insurance card). Just called them and they told me that Grundy is now handled out of Philadelphia Indemnity and I need to call them for any issues. I was on hold for over an hour before being able to speak to someone about getting a damn insurance card and my policy. The person I finally got on the phone told me that they are still in the process of converting policies over and she couldn't even tell me when I would get my card and policy package (literally she said hopefully within the next month). Insurance is only good if they are their when you need them and I can't even imagine what would be going on right now with them if I needed to report a claim. Anyone have any recommendation for insurance that allows somewhat flexible use of the car. I do have a primary driver but would like to be able to use the car for "pleasure use" that is not so rigidly defined. Thanks all.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been with Grundy for 12 years and never had an issue. I received a postcard from them the other day stating that there were some changes in the administrative function of their company, so perhaps that has something to do with it.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:03 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
I've been with Grundy for 12 years and never had an issue. I received a postcard from them the other day stating that there were some changes in the administrative function of their company, so perhaps that has something to do with it.
That is it. Call up Grundy's main # 800.338.4005 and ask them about it. There is some kind of non-compete that was just put in place they now have to deal with and acknowledge that their are problems with the administration.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Couple things aren't smelling to right here. I've had a car insured through Grundy since 2006, and always very timely on paperwork. Was the Chubb group then, but switched over to Philly in 2008 and really didn't notice any paperwork problems. That was 3 years ago, so someones handing you a line. Bettin' they screwed up your policy request and trying to patch it together.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:31 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Couple things aren't smelling to right here. I've had a car insured through Grundy since 2006, and always very timely on paperwork. Was the Chubb group then, but switched over to Philly in 2008 and really didn't notice any paperwork problems. That was 3 years ago, so someones handing you a line. Bettin' they screwed up your policy request and trying to patch it together.
Called them again and got the same story from a different person at their main # - spoke to Amanda Tedesco. Would love to hear from someone with an existing policy with Grundy to call them and ask them about this switch regarding administration and "non-compete".
Old 11-01-2011, 02:57 PM
TOM65 L76 96 LT1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

I have been with Grundy for years and have never had a problem with them as far as paperwork or insurance cards.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:01 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by TOM65 L76 96 LT1
I have been with Grundy for years and have never had a problem with them as far as paperwork or insurance cards.
This is something new within the past month or so. Call up their main # and ask them about their administrative change (this includes for claims) and the non-compete. They will explain to you.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:22 PM
mandingo214
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had Grundy for years. When I got my renewal last week, they increased all the agreed values 4%. I did not want that so gave them a call.

Use to be you would get someone immediately. This time, the call went to Philly insurance, and I was on hold for over 10 minutes. When I did get through, the values had to be changed via a form, which they emailed. Service use to be better.

They did follow up with additional calls however, and one rep said to fax her the changes since their email system is not working that great.

I miss the old Grundy, but the price is still right.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:51 PM
vairxpert
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'll stick with Hagerty. Whenever I call from my home or cell they have my name and policy information before even saying hello.

As far as liberal use language....has anyone ever had (or even heard of) a claim being denied by Hagerty?
Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by vairxpert
I'll stick with Hagerty. Whenever I call from my home or cell they have my name and policy information before even saying hello.

As far as liberal use language....has anyone ever had (or even heard of) a claim being denied by Hagerty?
I agree - when I called Hagerty they were easy to get in touch with (had to wait a while for a tow but now I have AAA anyway). Has anyone been denied by Hagerty or any other classic coverage insurer for that matter due to the "use"?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:20 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Don't know if you checked with American Collectors Ins and I don't know if they have a policy to fit your needs but their prices are very competitive and they are easy to do business with....been a policy owner for over 10 years.

http://www.americancollectors.com/
Old 11-01-2011, 07:28 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by gq82
Don't know if you checked with American Collectors Ins and I don't know if they have a policy to fit your needs but their prices are very competitive and they are easy to do business with....been a policy owner for over 10 years.

http://www.americancollectors.com/
Thanks - was going to call them tomorrow and American Modern (read that they have friendly "use" terms)
Old 11-01-2011, 08:24 PM
thoyer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 418 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by 69VetteFla
Thanks - was going to call them tomorrow and American Modern (read that they have friendly "use" terms)
You might want to try the National Corvette Musem. Adam Boca is the contact there. I switched from Hagerty to them as Hagerty didn't want to insure my C6 eventhough they aready had my C1 and C3. NCM wrote all three, no problems.

Tom
Old 11-01-2011, 08:28 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by thoyer
You might want to try the National Corvette Musem. Adam Boca is the contact there. I switched from Hagerty to them as Hagerty didn't want to insure my C6 eventhough they aready had my C1 and C3. NCM wrote all three, no problems.

Tom
Thanks. I spoke to Adam before I switched to Grundy and he acknowledged that the use he provides doesn't work for me. I put a call into him today and left a message because I read somewhere that one of his underwriters is American Modern which looks like they offer an expanded "use" policy.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:55 PM
thoyer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 418 Likes on 265 Posts

Thanks. I spoke to Adam before I switched to Grundy and he acknowledged that the use he provides doesn't work for me. I put a call into him today and left a message because I read somewhere that one of his underwriters is American Modern which looks like they offer an expanded "use" policy.
Yeah, they do have some use limits, but for me that is not a problem. I don't drive the C6 more then 2000 miles per year, the C3 gets maybe 500 and the C1 (just back on the road after 26 years) will be about the same.

Good luck with your search.

Tom
Old 11-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Welch2529
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

American Collectors, you can get stated value with 5000 mile allowance yearly, usage is limited and cannot be your daily driver. Claims are quick and uneventfull. I had a stone chip that turned into a full crack, American Collectors paid for the entire windshield replacement, no deductable. Very friendly and efficient people to work with.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:15 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by Welch2529
American Collectors, you can get stated value with 5000 mile allowance yearly, usage is limited and cannot be your daily driver. Claims are quick and uneventfull. I had a stone chip that turned into a full crack, American Collectors paid for the entire windshield replacement, no deductable. Very friendly and efficient people to work with.
That is great to know - thanks. I have another car but want to be able to run a "errand" on rare occasion and such and will definitely be calling them tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To Grundy Insurance - Beware!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:58 PM
TOM65 L76 96 LT1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

This is something new within the past month or so. Call up their main # and ask them about their administrative change (this includes for claims) and the non-compete. They will explain to you.
Did not realize that changes were taking place, I have not talked with then since last May so thanks for the info.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:46 AM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I've had both Hagerty and Grundy. Now I'm with NCM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:45 AM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by Welch2529
Just spoke to American Collectors and their policy works for me in terms of "use". Going to call American Modern this afternoon as well and compare. Thanks